1.    #1  
    Does anyone know what cingular charged for edge? I only have a sony ericsson t616 and a tungsten t3. Am getting the treo gsm 650 this week hopefully. Thanks.
    I heard like $600, and it has some problems. Someone was talking about it's horrid reception.
    ummm... I think the 650 will be $600.

As for the rates for EDGE wireless I would like to know also. I'm looking forward to moving to Cingular come April, buh bye T-Mo
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    There is a discussion of this going on in another thread. The running assumption has been that you get EDGE access when you buy their MEdia Net or MEdia Works packages. The latter is $19.99/mo for unlimited data access. I signed up for this recently, and was only getting GPRS rates for some reason, even though I was using an EDGE-enabled device. I upgraded to one of their Data Access plans, intended for laptop/PDA use, and I see EDGE rates now. But these plans are metered ($19.99/mo for 5MB, all the way up to $79.99/mo for unlimited).

I'm going to dig into this more tomorrow with Cingular, as are a few others. There is conflicting information about this on the net - I've seen a few people reporting the same results I saw, and others claiming they have EDGE rates when using MediaWorks. Hopefully the finding will be that MediaWorks does indeed provide EDGE-level access. Stay tuned...
  5.    #5  
    I just added media works to my account for 19.99 and was told that it is edge network speed, hopefully I'll see wednesday if the treo 650 does come out. I'll put my sim in it and see what the speed is. Right now I have this service on a t616, hoping this works out on my 650.
    Right, the question still remains whether T650 GSM will be EDGE enabled. As for the MEdia works supporting EDGE, JimF's story tells us otherwise.
  7. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    Right, the question still remains whether T650 GSM will be EDGE enabled. As for the MEdia works supporting EDGE, JimF's story tells us otherwise.
    According to this datasheet, the T650 GSM does support EDGE. As for the price Cingular charges, I have no idea...
    I posted some findings in another thread this morning - it looks like MediaWorks does indeed give you EDGE access, for $19.99/mo unlimited.

Technically, if you're using a PDA or laptop to connect to their network, they want to sell you a Data Access plan, which is more expensive ($19.99/mo only gets you 5mb, for example, and unlimited costs $79.99/mo). These all give you EDGE access as well, but if you can use MediaWorks for what you need to do, that's the best deal by far.