Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 45
  1.    #1  
    Just wondering how all the 650 owners feel about having a phone that is not EVDO capable, knowing that the fact the Sprint is getting closer and closer to rolling out EVDO on their networks. Is this a non-issue to most people? It seems awkward to have almost the perfect bleeding edge convergent phone, without support for the newest bleeding edge high speed EVDO. Considering that you can make calls while actively connected on EVDO, with the network dropping down to 1xRTT while on the voice call, and connecting back up to EVDO upon disconnecting the voice call, that appears to be a nice feature to have support of on a phone. Verizon EVDO customers are currently reporting this voice/data capability, which is appealing (at least to me.)
  2. #2  
    Will EVDO make those 'fat boy" PPC phones with lousy keypads that weigh a ton attractive all of a sudden? I don't think so...
  3. #3  
    depends how much they're going to charge. One of the main reasons I'm with Sprint is a usable data network at a reasonable price. I'd like to have EVDO, but its main advantage to me is the simultaneous data and voice calling and I'm not willing to pay a bundle just for that. The extra speed would be nice, but the size of the Treo screen becomes a limitation if I want to much more with it than I already can do. I think the main reason for wanting extra speed would be to use the Treo as a modem for your laptop. That would be compelling even at $50 a month, but there would still be people like me who prefer $15 for 1xrtt. There are still a lot of people using dialup at home for the same reason. Also, by the time EVDO rolls out to enough markets to be really tempting, it'll be November and time for the rollout of the new Treo that's finally going to make everyone perfectly happy and there will be no purpose for Treocentral but to share all the glowing posts about how perfect and flawless the Treo is and how everyone's life is complete. (posted from T650 on1xrtt)
  4. #4  
    If they roll EVDO towers as fast as they roll out coverage towers you could wait til the Treo 1000 is released before it makes a difference.
    Last edited by cglaguna; 01/23/2005 at 08:20 AM.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by markinbright
    depends how much they're going to charge. One of the main reasons I'm with Sprint is a usable data network at a reasonable price. I'd like to have EVDO, but its main advantage to me is the simultaneous data and voice calling and I'm not willing to pay a bundle just for that. The extra speed would be nice, but the size of the Treo screen becomes a limitation if I want to much more with it than I already can do. I think the main reason for wanting extra speed would be to use the Treo as a modem for your laptop. That would be compelling even at $50 a month, but there would still be people like me who prefer $15 for 1xrtt. There are still a lot of people using dialup at home for the same reason. Also, by the time EVDO rolls out to enough markets to be really tempting, it'll be November and time for the rollout of the new Treo that's finally going to make everyone perfectly happy and there will be no purpose for Treocentral but to share all the glowing posts about how perfect and flawless the Treo is and how everyone's life is complete. (posted from T650 on1xrtt)

    LMAO, yeah...what he said..
    I have the 650 and I don't mind that it's not EVDO capable, because I'm pretty happy with Vision how it is. EVDO would be great for those business users, etc... I DO use my internet quite often on my phone, but I'm just a midwestern housewife- I don't think I need EVDO in my life unless it's the $10 that I pay currently.

    Bek
  6. #6  
    If they roll EVDO towers as fast as they roll out coverage towers you could wait til the Treo 1000 is released before it makes a difference.
    I agree it may be the treo 3000 though.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    If they roll EVDO towers as fast as they roll out coverage towers you could wait til the Treo 1000 is released before it makes a difference.
    EV-DO is just the addition of a card, it's a very easy upgrade. It's nothing like rolling out an entire tower. I suspect what is taking so long is that Sprint is going to do EV-DO like they did Vision. They will have a nationwide rollout for all major cities (instead of the little at a time like Verizon is doing.) Kinda sucks since it makes some wait longer than they should have too.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
  8. #8  
    So what phones are EVDO capable?; is the blackberry EVDO capable? If not; it really doesn't make a difference right now. Most power users of blackberry and the Treo primarily use the devices for Email and phone usage.
    I'm not concerned at all; EVDO is going to cost more money (according to recent articles I've read, most are saying verizon is only charging 15.00 for EVDO) and unless I find the need for it (not just because it's faster or because I can talk surf the web and chew gum at the same time)
    I'm ok with the 15.00 I'm paying for pcs vison; if I had to pay any more than what I'm already paying I wouldn't have a treo and would still use the laptop and/or home office computer to send/receive email.

    If EVDO is going to cost 15.00 like they are saying; I might be a little miffed. This would mean Verizon is holding off on the Treo because of making it EVDO capable. After all; Cingulars Treo is going to be edge capable.
    If the EVDO is actually 15.00 and verizon get's an edge capable treo 650; what can I say; THAT'LL SUCK BIG TIME.
    Last edited by davetheone; 01/23/2005 at 09:49 AM.
  9. #9  
    already been said, but its one thing to have EVDO operational, its another to have coverage the same as regular cell coverage is now...



    also - if the next treo is as different from the 650 as the 650 is from the 600 - i'll want to upgrade anyway!





    especially if it has that new palm os (forgot the name)

    it looks awesome


    would be reason enough for me to upgrade
  10. Minsc's Avatar
    Posts
    967 Posts
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Geckotek
    EV-DO is just the addition of a card, it's a very easy upgrade. It's nothing like rolling out an entire tower. I suspect what is taking so long is that Sprint is going to do EV-DO like they did Vision. They will have a nationwide rollout for all major cities (instead of the little at a time like Verizon is doing.) Kinda sucks since it makes some wait longer than they should have too.
    Very true. Plus I believe future upgrades to EVDO, such as release "A" will just be software upgrades.
  11. #11  
    I can't think of a compelling reason to upgrade to 3G right now, given the extra cost and lack of 3G apps. But more speed is always welcome. My other concern is the impact of evdo on the battery. does anyone know if evdo uses more power than 1xrtt?
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    Very true. Plus I believe future upgrades to EVDO, such as release "A" will just be software upgrades.
    It's my understanding that EVDO is hardware related in relation to the radio. It's just that after playing with my friend's EVDO phone on Verizon network, I'm very envious. He was connected at 300k, and it was blazingly fast. I was even more envious when he tethered it to his laptop at that speed. Not to knock my treo tethered through pdanet, but there was no comparison. But I have free vision through a grandfathered plan, and he's paying $45 a month for his Evdo, so that made me feel a little bit better .... but then he connected his phone with wifi sd card to his wifi network, which got me jealous again
  13. #13  
    well, any competitive advantage that a particular technology has is always moving. For now, EV-DO has an advantage over 1X, but there will be something else that comes along which will eclipse DO. My point is that you can't constantly look over your shoulder at the next guy and whatever new thing he has - that's just a recipe for never-ending unhappiness. Something new is always around the corner; be happy with what you have now, and plan for the long term. Today the advantage might be with EV-DO, tomorrow it'll be something else. It's a never ending process....
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bekktek
    I don't think I need EVDO in my life unless it's the $10 that I pay currently. Bek
    Um, $10? where? how? Verizon charges up to $79.95 for unlimited data. That's why I switched to Sprint for the $15 unlimited vision
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by davetheone
    <snip>If the EVDO is actually 15.00 and verizon get's an edge capable treo 650; what can I say; THAT'LL SUCK BIG TIME.
    I think you may be confused or you just mis-typed....Verizon is a CDMA carrier. Therefore, Verizon could not have an Edge capable phone, only 1xRTT or EV-DO.


    Quote Originally Posted by vandoc
    It's my understanding that EVDO is hardware related in relation to the radio. <snip>
    Yes, it is...but we were speaking about the next iteration of EV-DO...namely EV-DV. And we were speaking about the towers, not the phones. EV-DV will be a software upgrade as far as the towers are concerned. All in all, the upgrade to EV-DO then to EV-DV will be very inexpensive and easy for Sprint (in comparison to Edge for the GSM carriers.) But I do agree, I think EV-DO will be exciting. I would turn to my phone to surf much more often if it weren't so painfully slow....(guess I'm spoiled.)


    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    Um, $10? where? how? Verizon charges up to $79.95 for unlimited data. That's why I switched to Sprint for the $15 unlimited vision
    She is speaking of the $10 unlimited Vision plan some of us are grandfathered into when we signed up for Vision during the initial rollout.

    I would think if Verizon is only charging $15 for EV-DO, Sprint would keep their current Vision pricing structure for EV-DO. I don't think they could afford to raise it and loose the profitable business customers to Verizon.

    As for what will I do w/ my non-EVDO Treo 650? eBay the dang thing and upgrade of course!!! I don't even have to think about that one (unless the price does go up a lot.)
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
  16.    #16  
    EVDO is currently $45 for verizon for their EVDO capable phones, and $79 for the laptop pcmcia evdo access. To some, that's a bit steep. For others, assuming you live in an evdo area, it's well worth it.
  17. #17  
    Nothing
    Treoing & Loving it
  18. #18  
    Last status I've seen is that Sprint is targeting to have EVDO in the 40 largest markets by July 2005 and the entire network by Jan 2006.

    I want voice over IP so that I can talk WHILE browsing the web via laptop/bluetooth.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Geckotek
    Yes, it is...but we were speaking about the next iteration of EV-DO...namely EV-DV. And we were speaking about the towers, not the phones. EV-DV will be a software upgrade as far as the towers are concerned. All in all, the upgrade to EV-DO then to EV-DV will be very inexpensive and easy for Sprint (in comparison to Edge for the GSM carriers.) But I do agree, I think EV-DO will be exciting. I would turn to my phone to surf much more often if it weren't so painfully slow....(guess I'm spoiled.)
    Just to clarify, EDGE is very easy to upgrade from GPRS, but it's a stopgap for UMTS, which will blow even EV-DV away (can you say 14.4 mbps downstream?)

    I can't wait, Europe and Asia have had true 3G (vs. 1xrtt which is like 2.8G, EDGE being about the same) for a long time...
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by djfusion
    Just to clarify, EDGE is very easy to upgrade from GPRS, but it's a stopgap for UMTS, which will blow even EV-DV away (can you say 14.4 mbps downstream?)
    While we're trying to blow one another away with wireless jargon, where did you get the 14.4 mbps downsteam from? Last I read it was 3X current GPRS, which is still close to 1XRTT or 1/3 (33%) of the EV-DO throughput.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions