Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 45
  1. #21  
    This must be what he's talking about:

    "Ongoing technical work within 3GPP will see further increases in throughput speeds of the WCDMA Radio Access Network (RAN). High Speed Downlink Packet Access (HSDPA) and High Speed Uplink Packet Access (HSUPA) technologies are already standardised and are undergoing network trials with operators in the Far East and North America. Promising theoretical downlink speeds as high as 14.4 Mbps (and respectively 5.8 Mbps uplink), these technologies will play an instrumental role in positioning 3G/UMTS as a key enabler for true 'mobile broadband'. Offering data transmission speeds of the same order of magnitude as today's Ethernet-based networks that are a ubiquitous feature of the fixed-line environment, 3G/UMTS will offer enterprise customers and consumers all the benefits of broadband connectivity whilst on the move."

    So it's not done, it's something being researched.

    Edit: To be more specific on the cost of upgrading, an Edge upgrade is fairly inexpensive as well "IF" the base station is "Edge compatible." I don't have the ability to speculate if most or all or few of the GSM stations out there are "Edge Compatible."
    Last edited by Geckotek; 01/23/2005 at 06:55 PM.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Geckotek
    I think you may be confused or you just mis-typed....Verizon is a CDMA carrier. Therefore, Verizon could not have an Edge capable phone, only 1xRTT or EV-DO.


    I actually meant Cingular not verizon.
  3. Minsc's Avatar
    Posts
    967 Posts
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by djfusion
    Just to clarify, EDGE is very easy to upgrade from GPRS, but it's a stopgap for UMTS, which will blow even EV-DV away (can you say 14.4 mbps downstream?)
    If you're referring to HSDPA, then yes it "supposedly" has a 14.4 mbps "theoretical" speed. (I'll believe it when I see it)

    However, apparently some speed tests run by DSL Reports are showing that release O of EVDO is already beating UMTS (w/out HSDPA). Once EVDO release A comes out, it will throttle up even higher - particularly the upload speeds.

    As some others have mentioned, my biggest concern with the next-gen data services - whether it's EVDO, UMTS, HSDPA, etc - is battery life. 1xRTT already sucks some juice, so I'm frightened at what might be coming.
    Last edited by Minsc; 01/23/2005 at 09:09 PM.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    If they roll EVDO towers as fast as they roll out coverage towers you could wait til the Treo 1000 is released before it makes a difference.
    Yeah, really. I live in Buffalo NY and I'm not expecting EVDO until late next year. By then the next Treo will be announced and not far from shipping probably.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by djfusion
    Just to clarify, EDGE is very easy to upgrade from GPRS, but it's a stopgap for UMTS, which will blow even EV-DV away (can you say 14.4 mbps downstream?)

    I can't wait, Europe and Asia have had true 3G (vs. 1xrtt which is like 2.8G, EDGE being about the same) for a long time...
    You may want to check your sources. UMTS is already here in the states in a few select cities such as S.F. and Phoenix, but 14.4 MBps, don't think so. I would say similar speeds to EV-DO (consistent 300-500K, bursts over 2 MBps).
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by markinbright
    [..]but its main advantage to me is the simultaneous data and voice calling[..]
    That alone would be huge for me. I didn't realize this was a benefit of EV-DO.

    I'm a new Treo user (Treo 650), and heavy user of Goodlink. I get a ton of "straight-to-Voicemail" effect due to the fact that my phone is constantly pulling down an email or otherwise syncing up with what is going on at the Exchange server level.

    I'm less interested in using my phone as a way to get around paying the $80/mo for the Vision cards (which we have 4 of), and more interested in no longer being "offline" when using my phone as a wireless PDA (Verichat, Goodlink, Blazer, etc).

    -jd
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    Um, $10? where? how? Verizon charges up to $79.95 for unlimited data. That's why I switched to Sprint for the $15 unlimited vision

    I was grandfathered in because I was on the bandwagon when Sprint first released Vision, (and when everyone thought it was a ripoff.)

    Bek
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by vandoc
    Just wondering how all the 650 owners feel about having a phone that is not EVDO capable, knowing that the fact the Sprint is getting closer and closer to rolling out EVDO on their networks. Is this a non-issue to most people? It seems awkward to have almost the perfect bleeding edge convergent phone, without support for the newest bleeding edge high speed EVDO. Considering that you can make calls while actively connected on EVDO, with the network dropping down to 1xRTT while on the voice call, and connecting back up to EVDO upon disconnecting the voice call, that appears to be a nice feature to have support of on a phone. Verizon EVDO customers are currently reporting this voice/data capability, which is appealing (at least to me.)
    The EVDO Treo will be out at the end of this year.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by mjeleven
    The EVDO Treo will be out at the end of this year.
    I thought Treo650 is already capable of EV-DO. Now, in addition to waiting for EV-DO for almost a year, Sprint users will have to upgrade phones?

    Tell me it isn't so
  10. #30  
    Alright...EV-DO's great and all...but like other people have said, it still ain't here and when it is here, the Treo will most certainly have it, it'll be a lot more than $10/mo (I believe the $10 plan is still there, not having to be grandfathered in, it's basically the picture pack minus the $5 worth of downloads a month...not 100% positive though), and it still won't be available in ALL markets (Mine will probably be the one getting it in late '06/early '07). That's why I bought the 650 for TODAY'S purposes, not tomorrow's....tomorrow I'll have something else....could possibly be a Windoze device if Cobalt doesn't hurry along. But the best piece of advice I could recommend for anyone is buy the 650 and don't upgrade until the version of the Treo that has Cobalt, EV-DO (or EV-DV), and Wi-Fi....when it adds those three things, it's game over for life as we know it. OOH...and about that GSM vs. CDMA war (or UMTS vs. EV-DO war)...get over it...they're the exact same speeds....if anything GSM providers toot these high speeds because they're implementing them later than the CDMA carriers so they MUST be better....but I'm sure we'll see that Sprint's CDMA network will perform consistently better than EDGE when the GSM 650s start shipping...and there is no reason to believe otherwise for the 3G networks.

    -Peace out!
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    when it adds those three things, it's game over for life as we know it.
    -Peace out!
    Armageddon?!!
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
  12. Minsc's Avatar
    Posts
    967 Posts
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    I thought Treo650 is already capable of EV-DO. Now, in addition to waiting for EV-DO for almost a year, Sprint users will have to upgrade phones?

    Tell me it isn't so
    Not sure where you heard that Tony, but the Sprint 650 does not support EV-DO nor was even rumored to if memory serves.
  13.    #33  
    Is it me, or is Palmone seem a bit slow on adding certain features that many of the masses deem important? At the Roadshows, they mentioned that they didn't implement bluetooth into the 600, because they deemed that technology immature and not accepted. Then bluetooth finally shows up, way after the fact than many cheap phones have this feature. Another example, the bad quality vga camera on the 600 when so many others had better built in cameras. Implementation of wifi drivers... still waiting. EVDO.. it seems that Palmone's priorities and ideas of what's important are a bit different than alot of us. And once Cobalt becomes reality down the road, I'm a bit scared of the testing that will be done on the OS. Don't really want to be soft resetting all the time. Just don't think it's fair that I may have to upgrade so soon after a substantial investment just because the original device was lacking a certain feature which (in my opinion) could easily been included in the first place. Do you hear me Palmone! This rubberband on my head is killing me, I need to upgrade to a treo with the latest data handling capabilities
  14. #34  
    Just got my T650--as in still charging--I'm a little alarmed that this thing obviously doesn't support faster-than-light signaling. I'll be left behind when Sprint rolls out subspace radio!
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    Not sure where you heard that Tony, but the Sprint 650 does not support EV-DO nor was even rumored to if memory serves.
    Here on TreoCentral. This is just one example:

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ighlight=EV-DO

    Sprint is deploying EV-DO now
  16. #36  
    That's why I'm not upgrading from the 600 to the 650. Sprint is to start rolling out EVDO in my area (Houston) 3rd quarter and their EVDO Treo is to be release in the 4th quarter.
  17. Minsc's Avatar
    Posts
    967 Posts
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    Here on TreoCentral. This is just one example:

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ighlight=EV-DO

    Sprint is deploying EV-DO now
    Maybe I misread the link, but I didn't see anywhere that mentions the 650 supporting EV-DO....
  18. #38  
    I was asking if the T650 is EV-DO enabled, not whether Sprint plans to implement EV-DO in general
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bekktek
    I was grandfathered in because I was on the bandwagon when Sprint first released Vision, (and when everyone thought it was a ripoff.)

    Bek
    at $85/mo for 2000 atm, 2 phones, unlimited pcs to pcs and unlimited vision i'll never get rid of my plan. they tried their best to "upgrade" me to another plan when upgrading from the 600 to the 650....

    for those who have the grandfathered vision plans consider yourselves very lucky
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by vandoc
    Is it me, or is Palmone seem a bit slow on adding certain features that many of the masses deem important?
    delayed technology for maximized profit. they caught on to what the computer companies have done to us throughout the years...spoonfed us "new" technology.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions