1.    #1  
    Hello,

I am using this on the Treo 650, not the Zire 72.

I was getting a Zire 72 for somebody else, so I figured why not?

I'll keep it short: this is finally the gps software that I was looking for. Finally.

I was hesitant to try any software before being able to test drive it. But at my local electronics store they have a no questions asked return policy, so I tried it.

Useful info:
    1. The software is labeled TomTom Navigator for Palm OS, but on the Tomtom website it is essentially equal to Tomtom 2004. Except it only runs on palm os. I do not believe it will run on pocket pc. Whereas on Tomtom's website it leads you to believe that if you purchase Tomtom Navigator 2004, one program will install to palms and pocket pc.
    2. You can upgrade to the Tomtom 4.42 version for free on tomtom's website. I have only noticed subtle differences. The version you install straight off the 8 cd's is Tomtom 4.1, so it is TomTom 4, not the same version as TomTom 3 that was given out with the Tungesten T. Although I'm not sure how much meaningful difference there is between TomTom 3 and TomTom 2004.
    3. The whole deal works on the Treo 650 just fine. The Treo 650 fits in the car mount, and the suction cup contraption works very well. It's snug and I have no doubts it'll stay. It sticks with suction. They do include a little adhesive if you want to mount on dashboard, but I wouldn't do that as it's permanent. There is nothing included so that you can mount it on your car vents where the A/C is.
    4. The GPS receiver (don't quote me) looks to be exactly the Holux GR-230. That was a highly highly regarded gps bluetooth receiver. Except it's not the newest anymore. I have the Holux GR-231, and where I live, the GR-231 fixes and gets noticeably better and more stable connections. But I'm right by the ocean with lots of trees and stuff, and anything electronic has always stunk around me. The GR-230 was reviewed so favorably on gpsworld.com or somewhere that had I not realized the palmone receiver was the Holux GR-230 indeed, I would have worried about the quality. Now I think the problem is where I live. Where I live it takes the GR-231 to really lock on. I haven't tested the GR-230 in city driving yet but I suspect it'll be just fine.
    5. The TomTom software is very intuitive. I applaud Mapopolis for allowing the thorough test driving of its mapping software before buying, but to be **** honest: Mapopolis is a toy compared to TomTom. Not to mention light years more stable on the Treo 650 at this point. The points of interest are also way easier to navigate through and it seems to be far more comprehensive as well. In a few hours I'm already "fluent" in TomTom, whereas I eventually got fluent in Mapopolis, but it just never felt natural. I'm also pleased to report that you don't have to constantly worry about the amount of ram available or the organization of the maps.
    6. Quirk: It's great you can use the keyboard with TomTom, which prevents you from having to use the onscreen keyboard. But for some reason the backspace button doesn't work. Not a huge deal, but it's a quirk. I expect the software to be more refined as time goes on.

I only wish I had gone to TomTom sooner.
    Last edited by pufftissue; 01/22/2005 at 08:48 PM.