1.    #1  
    Just wondering, did a bunch of searches and came up with nada...

Is there an ipod-esque music player for the Treo?

I think that would be hot! I mean, I was thinking of getting an Ipod but with my Treo and a large SD card it's like I got that for free!!! I use Real Player that came with the Treo 650 but I think there could be better out there.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    PocketTunes Deluxe....plus you can listen to shoutcast and live365.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Pocket Tunes seems to be the best (a great program), though some people use MMPlayer (Mobile Media Player) for MP3's as well.
    The deluxe version of Pocket Tunes allows listening to Shoutcast streams -- i.e. Internet radio stations. (MMPlayer has streaming capability as well, but I haven't had as much luck with it. It is the standard _Video_ player for the platform, though.)
    So, try PTunes.
    And Pocket Tunes has a skin that looks like iTunes (see attached pic).

This program beats Real Player any day.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  5.    #5  
    Thanks guys... i'll check it out.

I just bought my Treo and I already want to spend even more of my hard-earned money on add-ons so it's hard to show restraint! Real Player does everything I want except it just lumps all the songs together no matter if I put them into seperate drectories under the audio folder on my SD-card. Does Pocket Tunes support folders and navigate folders quickly, kinda like the iPod software?
    I currently have the 6601 and am in the process of switching it out for the 650, but neither will replace my ipod. Between the seemless integration of the ipod and itunes, and the great battery life of the ipod, it's still easier for my to use a separate device for music than to take advantage of the phone's ability to play mp3s. And I'm also able to do away with all my CDs since my entire collection can fit easily onto the ipod.
    Smartphone Evolution:
    i330 (8/03), i500 (5/04), i600 (11/04), PPC6601 (12/04), Treo 650 (1/05), PPC6600 (10/05), PPC6700 (12/05), Treo 650 (6/06), PPC6700 (9/06), Treo 700wx (10/06)
    I agree and would never give up my iPod. In fact, I have also picked up an iPod Shuffle to use at the gym and in other situations where dropping or banging the device is a concern. However, I can understand why someone might shell out $600 for a smartphone and then not really feel like spending another few hundred for a music player.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacJunkie
    I agree and would never give up my iPod. In fact, I have also picked up an iPod Shuffle to use at the gym and in other situations where dropping or banging the device is a concern. However, I can understand why someone might shell out $600 for a smartphone and then not really feel like spending another few hundred for a music player.
    Agreed. My iPod was free, otherwise I probably would've made due with my pricey phone.
    Last edited by worldwearyeyes; 01/25/2005 at 10:34 AM.
    Smartphone Evolution:
    i330 (8/03), i500 (5/04), i600 (11/04), PPC6601 (12/04), Treo 650 (1/05), PPC6600 (10/05), PPC6700 (12/05), Treo 650 (6/06), PPC6700 (9/06), Treo 700wx (10/06)
    Try the Geometry Goggles skin for Ptunes Deluxe 3. It's really sharp.
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro869
    Try the Geometry Goggles skin for Ptunes Deluxe 3. It's really sharp.
    I looked that skin up...and frankly it's awful.

Another vote for Pocket Tunes as the best Treo "ipod" player.
    lol
    Smartphone Evolution:
    I'm using a Powerbook g4 AL 15" without Ipod, but with Treo and ptunes deluxe and must say those guys over there at Normsoft have their act together. I will probably cop the Ipod shuffle no doubt. But with a 1gb card or two one 1gig cards you can have your files, pics, video and tunes all in one without carrying more devices...That's more WIRES!! I don't need a million songs on my hip anyway. I update my Treo's 200+ songs like every three to four days . Might add or subtract playlists and it really isn't cumbersome at all.. with a reader.... and with like 17,000 songs loaded on the Mac. (until they come out with bluetooth Ipod with wireless stereo headphones..aw u know the rest)
    Quote Originally Posted by demoflauchy
    I looked that skin up...and frankly it's awful.

Another vote for Pocket Tunes as the best Treo "ipod" player.
    No it's not. Look again. It's the best skin you've ever seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro869
    No it's not. Look again. It's the best skin you've ever seen.
    Are you talking about this skin?
    http://pdassi.it/product.php?pf=palmos&prod_id=8759

It's AWFUL.
    i had some high hopes when i found this thread via search, but i think it missed the point of the question. the core of ipod's interface is that it uses the ID3 tags in the music files to build the various category lists so you can browse by artist, album, genre, etc. i just started getting into playing mp3 on my treo 650, and have thus far found pocket tunes to be the best, but it doesn't seem to use the ID3 tags at all for browsing...for me to play the songs in an album, i have to manually create a playlist and then add the songs from that album into that playlist. That is *not* ipod-esque.

The only music player i found that seemed to use ID3 tags for browsing was Busker player but that seemed kinda buggy and did not have the convenience features of pTunes like all the turn off screen options, etc.

Does any player use the ID3 tags to browse, or am I missing something in the pTunes interface?

Edit: ok, i found the Open section in pTunes that does what I was describing. However, I wish it was accessible more directly from the player interface rather than a menu option. I'll live with this option for a few days and see how I like it.
    Last edited by collin; 07/10/2005 at 02:14 AM.
  16. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by demoflauchy
    Are you talking about this skin?
    http://pdassi.it/product.php?pf=palmos&prod_id=8759

It's AWFUL.
    Agreed. Awful.