1.    #1  
    Whoo-hoo! Its about time!
    just download avantgo for my orange imac and Orange Vdx.
    Anyone made this work? When I got to the configure stage of the procedure, I got a message saying that the server had received an invalid autoconfiguration file. Looking at Mobilelink, it looks as though some needed info was omitted when the installer ran.
    I also have an imac and an Orange Visor Deluxe. FINALLY!! I love it!

gthyb@mac.com
    Okay this is really weird... I have an Orange VDX too!! I thought everyone ordered blue??? And we all have macs?? But mine is a grape iMacDV.

Mike
  5. dov
    Anyone else have this problem? I downloaded AG, and when I ran the installer, it said that it couldnt install b/c the hotsync manager could not be found or is not installed on this computer. I definatly have the hotsync manager installed. HELP!! I want my AvantGO!
    Originally posted by JustMe:
    Anyone made this work? When I got to the configure stage of the procedure, I got a message saying that the server had received an invalid autoconfiguration file. Looking at Mobilelink, it looks as though some needed info was omitted when the installer ran.
    I got the following from AvantGo tech support, and it fixed my problem:

Thanks for using AvantGo!

It will be necessary to manually configure the server. To do so, on your desktop Mobile Link, click Add Server, and enter the following:

Server Name: AvantGo.com
    Hostname: sync.avantgo.com
    Port: 80
    Username: your AvantGo.com username
    Password: your AvantGo.com password

Once these are entered, try syncing again. Please let us know if you continue to have problems.

Best regards,
    AvantGo Support
    Downloaded the client last night, got it working in about five minutes. Damn good fun. It's version 3.3 of the AvantGo client, too: this means that you can't also synch to a PC, as 3.3 isn't out for the PC yet (apparantly). However, for those of us who only synch to the mac, it's gravy. I'd also tried using SiteScooper, but was having trouble getting the perl scripts to compile. So it's nice to have the easy version up...

Interesting looking to see the channels available. Any recommendations on mac-specific channels? Personally, I'm just waiting for the BBC or NTK to get the 'official' AvantGo treatment.

BTW - what is it with all the people who own orange iMacs? I've got one - and the orange Visor to match - but I'm surprised to see so many other people out there with 'em...

Jack

8. am
    AvantGO Connect is good and compact but...
    1) I could not get MapQuest or MapBlast Channels to get my directions or maps. After I enter info on the visor and sync, nothing shows up. What gives?

2) It takes forever if some webpages are unavailable (eg. NYTimes) - is there an option to limit the time it waits for a web page?

Otherwise, its cool..!
    After you enter your address/direction request, sync. Then open Avantgo and tap the menu button. Go to Forms Manager, and you should see your results page.
  10. am
    Thanx, na2rboy...it worked..Did you find it as intuitive as I did :-) ?
    Alex

Originally posted by na2rboy:
    After you enter your address/direction request, sync. Then open Avantgo and tap the menu button. Go to Forms Manager, and you should see your results page.
    A big trick to AvantGo is to set your preferences for each channel on the Website to sync every 8 hours for news sites and leave the info grabbing channels like Mapquest to sync every time. That way you can put a lot more channels on your visor without waiting forever each time.
    I think that is the worst part of Avantgo, that if you request specific info or a particular form (say from Autobytel or any map channel) you have to go to the forms manager to view the results. As _am_ pointed out, could it be any less intuitive?
    Not only has AvantGo been released for the mac, so has IE5. If you go to the flash demo http://www.microsoft.com/Mac/IE/autodemo/default2.htm

It includes a Palm sync feature!!! Now why can't they do that for IE5 for the PC?
    So why don't the NY Times pages work? Maybe I just missed something, but everytime I went to sync them, they timed out. Everything else works great! I love this program!
    I seem to have run into a conflict with BackupBuddy on the Mac and Avantgo. It crashes during backup of the AvGoDocsMG file. Just exits the program on my USB iMac and goes into dubug on my serial Mac.

Other than that it is really cool to have this stuff on my Visor. A great way to use up those other 4MB.
    Originally posted by dtplink:
    I seem to have run into a conflict with BackupBuddy on the Mac and Avantgo. It crashes during backup of the AvGoDocsMG file. Just exits the program on my USB iMac and goes into dubug on my serial Mac.
    I suppose you already know this, but for those who don't: it is possible to set BackupBuddy to ignore specific files. Run the BackupBuddy app, and in the list of files that show up, select the offending file.

In any event, one shouldn't be backing up that particular file anyway. It is rather large (prolonging backup time and draining the battery more), and it is replaced whenever you synch with AvantGo.