1.    #1  
    After reading that the 650 is coming out on the 26th for Cingular, what are peoples opinons on waiting for Cingular rather than going with Sprint.

Right now, I am still on my trial run with T-mobile (WHICH SUCKS), and I plan on dropping them wthin 7 days due to not being able to use my phone in my house.

Has anyone ever had any problems with Sprint or Cingular, in the past, dropping calls?

Thanks,

JA
    All service providers drop calls and have poor signal quality in some areas...it depends on how many towers they have and where those towers are located in relation to you. Sprint has a 14 day trial so you might just try it and see how it works for you.
    Ayasin is right. The simple thing to do is to check with your neighbors and/or co-workers. T-Mobile works fine for me everywhere I go, except in some elevators and basements. Another thing to ask about if it's important to you: T-Mobile's technical and other support has worked *much* better for me than Sprint's -my provider in all my pre-Treo days. Note that reception is also device-specific. That is, even with the same provider, some devices work better than others for voice and/or data.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    I am Cingular customer and reccommend the same as the others. Either try different providers, Cingular offers 30 day trail, in your area or ask at work or your friends how the coverage is at the areas you frequent. Customer service is a big issue for me, and in my opinion, Cingular offers the best in may region.

But everyone has dropped calls from time to time.
  5. joe
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    I have had T-moble and sprint and Cingular in the northwest suburbs of Chicago. T-Moble stinks. cingular is fine and Sprint is great. I would say the same as the others also. Try it or talk to someone. Also try to get similar phones. a $30 sprint phone that my wife has is not as good as my 600, reception-wise.
    I have T-Mobile and love it. You must be in a weak coverage area for them because I have not had any problems. Their customer service is great and I get 1000 minutes plus free N&W for only $40 a month. Obviously YMMV and if you don't get good coverage in your area, try a different provider.
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyDee
    I have T-Mobile and love it. You must be in a weak coverage area for them because I have not had any problems. Their customer service is great and I get 1000 minutes plus free N&W for only $40 a month. Obviously YMMV and if you don't get good coverage in your area, try a different provider.
    Is your bill really only $40/month? I suspect adding unlimited data, unlimited SMS, unlimited picture mail (or MMS) etc., would add a substantial amount of monthly charges...
    Good to know. I'll make a note not to try T-Mobile. Sorry, Katherine Zita Jones.
    I had T-Mobile until I got my 650 and HATED their service (to be fair, I had a Sidekick which sucked in many ways, one of which was reception). The data service worked - literally - about 10-20% of the time. I finally stopped trying to use it since it wasn't going to work anyway. How much of that was the Sidekick and how much was T-Mobile, I don't know.

But I LOVE Sprint's service. I've had it since Nov. 24 and have been unable to use Vision ONLY ONCE since then - after I reset the 650 it worked again. I travel between LA, Ventura and Orange counties and have no problems with reception.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick
    Is your bill really only $40/month? I suspect adding unlimited data, unlimited SMS, unlimited picture mail (or MMS) etc., would add a substantial amount of monthly charges...

For me, on Tmobile, to get the "most out of my treo" I'm paying:

39.99 for 1000 anytime minutes (nationwide, no roaming / longdistance)
    free nights/weekends (nights =9pm)
    19.99 - data (unlimited data, vpn accessable, can tether to a laptop through an aircard if i want)
    - 100 MMS also included in that 19.99
    2.99 - tzones access (their info center dashboard for wap phones)
    - also comes with 300 SMS and 30 MMS included in the 2.99 price.

of course, I can use my treo (600 for now till tmo comes out with the 650) to send pictures through the built-in POP3 program.... instead of using MMS.

So I'm looking at about 70 /month including taxes/fees for all that.
  11. joe
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    otterman,

My T-moron, er, T-moble experience was with the sidekick also. (I went through 7 of them) I also had issues with drop-outs, etc. My real problem was with their customer service's handeling of the problem.
    I had T-Mobile for about 14-months. They were ok. Dealing with customer support was less than pleasant. I actually had one hang up on me while I was on a support call. He didn't realize I had a T-Mobile corporate account manager in my office.

I have been with Sprint since early December I have no complaints. They are always pleasant, and helpful on the phone. I can actually understand them on the phone. I don't have to ask them to repeat anything two or three times.

Cougar
    I've been with T-mobile for over two years.

I've always been really pleased with them. My first phone with them was the Sidekick, which could be the source of 90% of you guys' issues with T-mobile. It was a great concept but poor execution.

I've had a Nokia3650 from them for the past year and have been happy with it. Signal is generally great and so it the cost of the data plan on it.

I just with T-mobile would officially carry the 650 so I could use some upgrade mojo and get it for a subsidized cost.
    I've had Sprint for over 3 years, and love it mainly because of the unlimited Vision. For about 1 year, I connected to the internet everyday on my laptop through my old Samsung A500 while sitting at work until I decided to get cable installed. That just impressed the hell out of me. I work in construction so I am always up in the hills around Los Angeles/Beverly Hills and more than often, SPRINT is the ONLY carrier who has decent reception up here... Nextel, Cingular, Verizon, T-mobile do not.
    Can an intelligence create another intelligence more intelligent than itself? Are we more intelligent than the evolutionary process that created us? In turn, will the intelligence that we are creating come to exceed that of its creator?

[ Treo 650 on Sprint ]