1.    #1  
    I have a .wav file I would like to take off of my computer and put on my palm. I tried to send as an email attachment, but when I downloaded the attachment to my phone, I cannot find it. Any idea where it would have gone?

Or, is there another way to get sound files from my computer to my phone?
    You can use a card reader and put the wav file in your audio folder on your SD card.
    Mobi·gas·mic!
  3.    #3  
    Well, I don't have a card reader, or a card. Is there any other way?
    You would need an email program that supports attachments and a helper application that registers to handle ".wav" files. (I say ".wav" but it really would be a MIME type that I don't know the exact name of, so my answer is n.ot technically correct but it will get you in the ball park.) Some types of ".wav" files are more easily playable by helper applications than others. As long as the .wav file is not compressed in any way pTunes is one helper application that will work. SnapperMail is an example of an email application that can handle attachments. I'm assuming from the context of your post that you already have an email probram on your treo that handles attachments, and since you are posting this in the Treo 600 forum I'll also assume that you have a 600. If you have a Sprint Treo 600, if you register your Treo you can get a basic version of pTunes 2 for free. I have the deluxe version of pTunes 3, and I can open .wav attachments from in SnapperMail and play them with pTunes. From what I looked up on Pocket Tunes' web page, ptunes 2.3 supported .wav files, so you should be able to do what you want with the free (Sprint) version. You can also upgrade from version 2 to version 3 basic for $14.95 or to version 3 deluxe for $19.95. In any case, you will need to install a plugin (that comes with the download) to play the .wav files.

I'm aware of two other "programs" that will play your .wav file: mVoiceMail will play it (and will also play versions of .wav files that have some compression). There is a nice voice recorder program, called mVoice, that produces the compressed .wav files that I was talking about earlier. The mVoiceMail program will play these files.

The other way I was able to play these was to install Versamail 2.6 (I found a zip file that had it and other stuff in it off the net), but I don't recommend this approach as it is not really ethical. (I did it, because I wanted to see if Versamail was any good but PalmOne offers Versamail 2.7 but not with any trial download. I didn't think Versamail was even worth "free", let alone the $30 they are charging for it.) For the 2.6 version, I installed the following prc files from the zip file:

MMConduit.prc MMPRCPlugin.prc MMUnzipPlugin.prc MMWizard.prc
    MMConfigFPI.prc MMPluginMGR.prc MMUpgrade.prc MMWordPlugin.prc
    MMHtmlPlugin.prc MMSDCard.prc MMVCal.prc MultiMail.prc
    MMMailTo.prc MMSmartAdd.prc MMVCardPlugin.prc
    MMNotify.prc MMTextPlugin.prc MMWave.prc

(EDIT: Just to clarify, I deleted the above from my Treo.)

Anticipating that you might ask if installing MMPluginMGR.prc and MMWave.prc alone would allow you to avoid buying pTunes or mVoicmail, I tried adding those alone and they did not work in SnapperMail. I hightly recommend pTunes, you can listen to MP3s once you buy an SD card, and you can listen to shoutcast stations, etc. Here are som web sites that might help:
    http://www.normsoft.com/products.shtml#PocketTunes
    http://www.pocket-tunes.com/purchase.html

http://www.motionapps.com/products.jsp?mvp

regards, -- Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Well, you will definitely need at least a card. That's the only place any file (other than .prc) can be stored/used.
    Mobi·gas·mic!
    Quote Originally Posted by lulugirl896
    Well, you will definitely need at least a card. That's the only place any file (other than .prc) can be stored/used.
    EDIT #2: LuLu is right about if you want to store stuff. My comments below are only useful, for instance if you get voicemail attachments as .wav files, and you listen to them and then delete them. -- thanks LuLu. -- Bob

Some email programs will store the attachment on the device rather than the card, but it is not practical to keep wav attachments on the device since they are ususally big. You can get a 256MB card pretty cheap (which is what I have). You can then also add a launcher like Initiate that can launch programs from the card, and move many of your programs to the card so that you can put more on your device. While speaking of the card, you will also want to get a backup program to save what you have installed, in case you have to do a hard reset, or if your battery dies, of if you install some program that screws up your treo and you want to revert to a known good state, or finally in case you have to replace your device. (Note there are caveats about using backups when upgrading to a 650, so if that ever happens, do fresh installs onto the new device instead.)

EDIT: Note: You may find that a 256 MB card is not big enough. I find that I can fit only some MP3s over there, plus som programs, plus a current and a previous backup. Buy as big a card as you can afford, escpcially if you want to keep any/much audio on the card.

Sorry to be so wordy,
    --
    Bob
    Last edited by sudoer; 01/22/2005 at 03:43 PM.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!