Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I had read somewhere that palm would offer current T600 owners a free BT headset for upgrading. Do you think that will only be if you buy thru Palm?
    Thanks for the info...I guess if I need VPN and want to pay the cheaper data plans, and I do, I'm left with Sprint (Sprint Rep advsd $15 data plan works with VPN) or waiting for a TMobile 650...
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    No VPN on MediaWorks
    I am curious, not questioning, have you tried this out with all the various versions of VPN, because I would like that function, but am not willing to change providers or go up to $80 data. People are talking about Movian vpn, did u try this already. What if you use dialup (black arrow vs. green) gprs?
    Getting a little off topic for this thread and this might be a good subject to start another but for me, I need PPTP (using Mergic on my Palm)...do you specifically need IPSec??
    Quote Originally Posted by spartanrob
    I had read somewhere that palm would offer current T600 owners a free BT headset for upgrading. Do you think that will only be if you buy thru Palm?
    Yeah I am sure if you trade in your 600. But do you really think your treo is worth the $100 that palm has for their BT headset? No I would hold onto the 600 and use it as a backup or sell it on ebay
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie
    Yeah I am sure if you trade in your 600. But do you really think your treo is worth the $100 that palm has for their BT headset? No I would hold onto the 600 and use it as a backup or sell it on ebay
    They do not require the 600 back, only the serial number.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean18
    WRONG! Unlimited internet plan is MEdia Works - $19.99 / month - for any phone or PDA. Some of the Cingular people are idiots about this, and tell you they require the $40 data plan. If you get one of these idiots, then ignore them. The best thing to do is get your normal phone plan set up, then go home and add the MEdia Works to your phone plan via your account on their web site. I did this and it works perfectly.
    Correct. MediaWorks can only be added to an existing account, not setup with a new number. I took an older phone into cingular, set up and account, went home, called customer service, and added mediaworks, took the sim out of the old phone, put it into the GSM Treo and I had unlimited internet on the Treo.

Att SIMs work just as well in unlocked phones. Cingular SIMs will not work in LOCKED ATT phones. For ATT users, the problem is that Cingular is not unlocking the ATT phones.
    Actually MEdia Works for $19.95 can be added on a new account, PDA phone or not. I don't know what kind of sales/service reps you guys have the fortune to get, but I had a choice to activate an SK66 (aka PPC6600) with the $19.95 MEdia Works. I'm still thinking about it coz Sprint business retention offered me the PPC6601 with the $15 unlimited data vision plan when I escalated the Treo60 return issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    Actually MEdia Works for $19.95 can be added on a new account, PDA phone or not. I don't know what kind of sales/service reps you guys have the fortune to get, but I had a choice to activate an SK66 (aka PPC6600) with the $19.95 MEdia Works. I'm still thinking about it coz Sprint business retention offered me the PPC6601 with the $15 unlimited data vision plan when I escalated the Treo60 return issue.
    Well there is disscussion back and forth on this and some people are not being allowed to sign up for it, during the phone purchase.

The official Cingular memo of 11.04.04 that MEdia Works cannot be added to PDA phones as a data plan. I know not all reps are enforcing it, but it seems the stores seem adamant about it. Including the SX66.

But again, there is no trouble adding it post purchase provided you don't send for the $50 rebate. (and yes the SX-66 is listed on that as well.)
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    I am curious, not questioning, have you tried this out with all the various versions of VPN, because I would like that function, but am not willing to change providers or go up to $80 data. People are talking about Movian vpn, did u try this already. What if you use dialup (black arrow vs. green) gprs?
    I did some pretty extensive searching of the whole web and the best answer is found at T|C. Here is the best of what I found. The last post in this thread sparks a thread of hope.

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=42440
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    You can not use wap.cingular AP for VPN, but you can use isp.cingular. I use isp.cingular on my GSM Treo 600 and am able to use the Mergic VPN client using PPTP just fine. If you go to howardfroums.com and search for isp.cingular, you can find the settings for authentication.
    Carl
  12.    #52  
    ok, this is what i did today. took my at&t phone in to a cingular store (didn't really matter whether i had my phone with me or not). i picked out a phone for $19 after mail in rebate (motorola v220) and agreed to a 2 year contract. i added on the Media Works plan for $19.95/month and paid the $18 to "migrate" from at&t to cingular. when the treo comes out, i'll purchase and then pop out the simm from my phone and put in to the treo. i asked the rep at the store if they were getting treo 650's next week and he said "who knows anymore, that's what we have been hearing for a while now." i'm hoping he didn't know what he was talking about because i really wanted to pick one up next week.
    the rep also told that i could put my at&t simm in my new phone and copy over the contacts. i did this and it appeared to be working but it duplicated half of my entries and left out the other half. i'm wondering if it screwed up because it was going from a nokia to a motorola? anyway, it looks like i might have to manually enter them.
    when the treo comes out, i'll purchase and then pop out the simm from my phone and put in to the treo.
    but when you buy the treo, they will know you have a treo. are you going to buy it somewhere else?
    How would you like to Retire In The Sun?
    I was able to add media works package to my account for 19.95 a month. Hopefully I can just pop my sim out of my t616 and out it in my 650 and everything work.
    Well, maybe you can swap SIM cards to work around the ban, but my Cingular rep showed me the "multi-color" data instruction sheet with larger bold letters stating "Do no add Media Works to smartphones (including Treo 600, 650, and Siemens)"
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I know , thats why I added it today. I have a t616 and got around it, someone on the board said to do this and then the treo 650 should work fine with the 19.99 media works because of the sim card in my old cheap phone. Hope this works.
  17.    #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by linksavage
    but when you buy the treo, they will know you have a treo. are you going to buy it somewhere else?
    yes, but when i buy my treo (from where ever) i am going to buy just the treo and not sign up for a new contract or anything like that. walk in, buy, walk out. they won't know whether i have phone or not or if i even have a plan with them. granted, i will have to pay more for the treo since i won't be buying it with a contract, but the money i'll save over the course of the 2 year contract for the $19.95 plan rather than the $40 plan will be well worth it.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123