Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    is it safe to say that if i buy a treo from cingular it will be locked? where should i go for an unlocked version and how will i know?
  2.    #22  
    i wonder if at&t would let me port my number over to cingular for free?
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vikrampant
    I did just this ... got a free Motorola v180 (it was unlocked, had a relative drop in their AT&T card) ... got the $19.99 Mediaworks plan and $39.99 450 minute plan .... Switchover took 5 minutes.

Unlocked my Treo 600 and am waiting for my last AT&T bill (to see if there are no mysterious charges) ... no dissconnect fee.

-- Vikram
    I'm probably missing something, but what is the advantage to doing this?

Also, how do you find out how to unlock your phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wozzer

Also, how do you find out how to unlock your phone?
    http://mytreo.net/forum/index.php?board=5.0
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Yeah, that was a good link, Scotty. But the patch is specific to T600. I hope they can do the same for other phones (SX66 is a nice one, has WiFi, but no EDGE support)
  6.    #26  
    i have an update for those who might be in my position. i just spoke to cingular. i asked if i would be able to port my at&t number over to cingular for free (because i want to get a treo and don't want to have to get a new phone #). they said that i could do it for $18. he said that at&t will not be making any new phones and that all at&t customers would eventually have their accounts migrated over to cingular. he said that there would be zero down time on my phone number. my at&t phone would stop working only after i activated the cingular phone. you can do the transfer over the phone, at a cingular store or online from the at&t website. the thing that sucks is that my at&t simm will not work in a cingular device so i will have to manually enter all my contact again. also, cingular has the roll over minutes which is nice. so what i plan to do is migrate over to cingular and get a free phone, get a cheap plan and medi works, and sign a new contract with cingular. then when the treo comes out, i'll just pop that simm in to the treo.
    The Cingular Treo 600 is unlocked. According to a knowledge base article on palmOne's website says that the Cingular Treo 650 will be locked.

Quote Originally Posted by vikrampant
    I thought Cingular by default came unlocked?
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dubLdribL
    so what i plan to do is migrate over to cingular and get a free phone, get a cheap plan and medi works, and sign a new contract with cingular. then when the treo comes out, i'll just pop that simm in to the treo.
    What is the point of doing this rather than just waiting until the treo comes out? Wouldn't you save money by waiting for the treo and then getting the discounts on the Treo that you get when signing a new contract?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver5
    If it wasn't for my having taken advantage of the offer from the Roadshow I would have already given up on the Treo 650. There are already better devices out that I want and I am likely sell the 650 as soon as it gets here so I can buy something else. The XDA mini (iMate Jam) is one example, and though I'm not a fan of Nokia, the 9300 Communicator looks like something to consider. I'm not completely dissin' the 650, but I think we are expecting more than it can deliver (proven with the Sprint model).

Another option: Eten M500
    No, my avatar is NOT a picture of me! If you don't recognize her then you are not nerdy enough to be in here.

"I didn't think it was possible, but this actually sucks and blows."
    - Bart Simpson
  10.    #30  
    What is the point of doing this rather than just waiting until the treo comes out? Wouldn't you save money by waiting for the treo and then getting the discounts on the Treo that you get when signing a new contract?

because you can only get the media works plan for a phone. it costs $19.95/month and gives you unlimited internet. if you try to get an unlimited internet plan on a treo or any handheld, it will cost around $40/month.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    because you can only get the media works plan for a phone. it costs $19.95/month and gives you unlimited internet. if you try to get an unlimited internet plan on a treo or any handheld, it will cost around $40/month.
    Ah that makes a lot of sense, can a similar system be used on VzW anyone know?
  12.    #32  
    Ah that makes a lot of sense, can a similar system be used on VzW anyone know?
    what does verizon have for pricing? actually no, it can't be done because version phones/handhelds don't use SIMM cards.

the beauty of the SIMM is that i'll be able to pop it in and out of the free phone i get or the treo and still works the same.

the only issue is that on file, cingular will have me as having some crappy phone but i'll really have a treo. if something breaks, i might run in to issues.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    i have an update for those who might be in my position. i just spoke to cingular. i asked if i would be able to port my at&t number over to cingular for free (because i want to get a treo and don't want to have to get a new phone #). they said that i could do it for $18. he said that at&t will not be making any new phones and that all at&t customers would eventually have their accounts migrated over to cingular. he said that there would be zero down time on my phone number. my at&t phone would stop working only after i activated the cingular phone. you can do the transfer over the phone, at a cingular store or online from the at&t website. the thing that sucks is that my at&t simm will not work in a cingular device so i will have to manually enter all my contact again. also, cingular has the roll over minutes which is nice. so what i plan to do is migrate over to cingular and get a free phone, get a cheap plan and medi works, and sign a new contract with cingular. then when the treo comes out, i'll just pop that simm in to the treo.
    That is correct. There is zero downtime when migrating your AT&T account to Cingular. That $18 is a migration/upgrade fee. I did it with one of my AT&T accounts in November. Walked in with an AT&T phone, walked out with a working Cingular phone. It was really simple and if you think about it, it damn well shoud be.

Joe
  14.    #34  
    i plan on doing this today.

WRONG! Unlimited internet plan is MEdia Works - $19.99 / month - for any phone or PDA. Some of the Cingular people are idiots about this, and tell you they require the $40 data plan. If you get one of these idiots, then ignore them. The best thing to do is get your normal phone plan set up, then go home and add the MEdia Works to your phone plan via your account on their web site. I did this and it works perfectly.
    No, my avatar is NOT a picture of me! If you don't recognize her then you are not nerdy enough to be in here.

"I didn't think it was possible, but this actually sucks and blows."
    - Bart Simpson
    Most large companies have deals with all the cellular companies. I plan on getting the GSM 650 for 549.00 but I get a 30% discount because I work at Xerox. That is 384.00. There may/may not be a mail in 50.00 rebate. I'm putting my treo 600 up on ebay today for a buy it now of 275.00. So in my mind I will get the 650 for a little over a hundred bucks with NO contract.

P.s After reading all the GSM trheads...I'm jumping ship from Sprint - but have to pay the stupid 150.00 fee for doing so!
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean18
    WRONG! Unlimited internet plan is MEdia Works - $19.99 / month - for any phone or PDA. Some of the Cingular people are idiots about this, and tell you they require the $40 data plan. If you get one of these idiots, then ignore them. The best thing to do is get your normal phone plan set up, then go home and add the MEdia Works to your phone plan via your account on their web site. I did this and it works perfectly.

starting fresh.....if you go to cingular's website, choose a PHONE, choose a calling plan, you are then taken to a page for additional options. one of those options is Media Works for $19.95/month (which is what we all want).

if you choose the Treo 600, choose a calling plan and then get taken to the page for additional options, all of them are the same as for the phone except for Media Works, it is not even listed.

my point is if i go to a cingular store on wednesday and pick up a treo 650 and say i want unlimited internet, it will cost me $40. if i go cingular and pick up a treo with a basic calling plan and then try to come home and add Media Works, i will not be able to since they will have on file on my account that i have a treo 650.

so back to the beginning. i am going to migrate to cingular today, get a free phone, sign up for a new contract/calling plan. i'll add media works to my plan right in the store. when the treo 650 comes out, i'll buy the treo and pop my simm card in it. no questions asked.
    Quote Originally Posted by OpenIntro
    Just to let you all know...I went in to Cingular today, and they said the phone would be 449.99 with a 2 year service agreement PLUS a $50 mail in rebate....making the phone $399.99
    I ADVISE THAT NO ONE TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE $50 REBATE

The rebate will cost you a lot of money. If history repeats itself with the Siemens SX66. The rebate forces you to take a full data plan for the duration of your contract.

YOU DO NOT NEED THIS DATA PLAN.

Buy the phone at the contract price and DO NOT SIGN FOR $40 or $80 Data. Go home and call back (customer service not the store) and sign for MEdia Works package at $20. It is unlimited and comes with 1500 SMS and 200 MMS.
    cglaguna or anyone,
    will the Cingular MEdia Works package at $20 support VPN?? I'm currently using the TMobile Unlimited Data VPN Plan at $20 (BT phone and T3) but I had to specify VPN when I signed up, although the costing is the same ($20 for unlimited data, VPN or non-VPN).
    No VPN on MediaWorks
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast