Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Here's a question: What if you were starting from a clean slate (no existing contract), were definitely buying a 650, and were basing your service provider decision solely on data speed? Who's fastest and can the service be used for DUN (dial up networking).

Here's my crude understanding, and I'm sure there are errors in this post. I'm hoping further posts will refine/correct this information:

Sprint
    Fastest
    Can be used for DUN (thanks to Shadowmite!)
    • 650 can use 1xRTT (branded as "Vision") through Sprint and delivers speeds of up to 144 kbps (updated, thanks letsgoflyers81), though anecdotal evidence suggests speeds closer to 115 kbps.

Cingular
    Tied for Second Fastest?
    Will have DUN if someone hacks it
    • GSM 650 is (or more accurately, will be) EDGE capable (known from P1's website) and will be able to use EDGE through Cingular, delivering speeds of up to 135 kbps (from Cingular's website)

Verizon*
    Tied for Second Fastest?
    Has DUN b/c Shadowmite's patch works with VZW?
    • 650 can use "Wireless Internet NationalAccess" and deliver speeds of 60-80 kbps and bursts up to 144 kbps (from VZW's website)
    • 650 will not be able to use EVDO (I believe this is known).

*Importantly, this assumes using a Sprint CDMA phone, rigged to work on Verizon's network.

T-Mobile
    Fourth Fastest (otherwise known as slowest)
    Will have DUN if someone hacks it
    • 650 can use "T-Mobile Internet" and deliver speeds of up to 56 kbps (from T-Mobile's website).
    • T-Mobile does not offer EDGE yet?
    Last edited by RJH2; 01/21/2005 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Incorporating info from subsequent posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by RJH2

Sprint
    Fastest
    Can be used for DUN (thanks to Shadowmite!)

• 650 can use 1xRTT (branded as "Vision") through Sprint and delivers speeds of _____?
    113 kbit/sec
    107 kbit/sec

(http://text.dslreports.com/mspeed)
    "There has always been a tension in conservatism between those who favor more liberty and those who want more morality. But what's indisputable is that Bush's 'compassionate conservatism' is a move toward the latter - the use of the government to impose and subsidize certain morals over others. He is fusing big government liberalism with religious right moralism. It's the nanny-state with more cash." -- www.AndrewSullivan.com
    Sprint:
    259 kbit/sec

(dslreports.com/mspeed)
    Can dslreports be trusted? I just ran a series of tests (Sprint Treo650/Xiino), and it tetlls me that Vision is blazingly fast (see attachments). The speed seems to be around 300 Kbit/s. I didn't realize Sprint PCS Vision can go that high?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    72k for me in Minneapolis.
    Kash76

Sprint - Treo 650, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG
    Can dslreports be trusted? I just ran a series of tests (Sprint Treo650/Xiino), and it tetlls me that Vision is blazingly fast (see attachments). The speed seems to be around 300 Kbit/s. I didn't realize Sprint PCS Vision can go that high?
    Cleared cache ?
    Try www.izaino.com ... ( Site menu then 2)) just to compare.
    90k here in Austin
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG
    Sprint:
    259 kbit/sec

(dslreports.com/mspeed)
    How did you manager that? 1xRTT's current incarnation maxes out at 144 kbps.

My best is 117 kbps on Sprint.
    I suspect he used Xiino,
    I've never gotten accurate results with that speed test when using Xiino.
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    Another thing to consider...

Sprint uses compression over their network. So a text based speed test will look pretty good. Where a image based may not.
    Kash76

Sprint - Treo 650, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro
    Aye, I've used Xiino (as evident from screenshots). I'll try disabling the Sprint Blazer Proxy (per Shadowmite's instructions) and try this test from Blazer. Too bad I can't disable the proxy permanently
    www.izaino.com from blazer gives me some insan-ish results. Definitely broken, as I'm getting 1888 kbps on the phone

Sigh, anyone else knows an accurate site for testing this?
    118 kbits/sec in PA with 2 bars.
    Treo 650
    CDMA
    Treoing & Loving it
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I got 104 kbps and 115 kbps on Sprint PCS with my Treo 650 today in San Francisco.
  15.    #15  
    Updated the opening post with your info, thanks folks.

I guess we'll have to wait until next week (hopefully) to see how Cingular fares, but it looks like Sprint, Cingular and VZW will likely be roughly comparable.

Three-way tie for first, T-Mobile bringing up the rear?
    Lucky to get 36k in Chicago. SUCKS!!!!!
    Try going to testmy.net and see what it reports back.
    I have both a 1xRTT and EDGE data card for my laptop on Sprint and Cingular respectivly. 1xRTT is much better than EDGE. I get a lousy signal in my house for both Cingular and Sprint. But my 1xRTT card can consitantly maintain a speed of 100kbs+, the best I can do with the EDGE card is about 50k.

I have been told (on the Cingular forum on Howard Forums) that EDGE speed is very dependant on signal strength, network congestions, etc. so in order to get really good speeds I ahve to be close to a tower at 3am.

I like my 1xRTT card much better than the EDGE card, and I am anxiously awaiting EVDO on Sprint.
    Carl
    PDANet 144K full signal streangth. Very fast in my opinion. I was expecting much slower results. Must say I'm happy. Can't try DUN because I think the service Dept took my Blutooth card out when they fixed my laptop. I'll postmore on that later
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast