Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Handspring Visor Deluxe at bedside, and working terrific.
    @Hand medical library with five big reference texts, as well as a drug reference that allows me to find out more instantly than ever before in medicine. All patient documentation is in my shirt pocket with a secure lock. I don't know how any healthcare provider can live without this. The PalmPilot just didn't have the large brains the Visor Deluxe has, necessary to treat patients completely. Crashes? Only those that were my fault, noodling with third-party software.
    Treating patients? Get a Visor Deluxe. This tool is the first gizmo that can successfully be relied on for your transition from the old paper age into the present. And believe me, the electronic present is here, and anyone who is not using these tools is an instant medical dinosaur.
    Get hot or go home!
    Since the Visor seems to be a natural in the medical field, maybe we need an AED Springboard?

It's frightening to think of the possibilities this little gizmo offers...

------------------
    MarkEagle - Ice is nice!
    Dr. McCoy:

All you need now is a Medical Scanner module (and I hope you won't have announce "He's dead, Jim.")
    How much total memory do the @hand medical texts take up?
    What do you think of each of the books? The drug book is a must but what do you think of the 5mcc, Harrison's companion, etc. I've been looking at these since I got my visor but don't need them until July-ish so any comments would be greatly appreciated?
    Oh, do you know if they will run without problem while stored on the 8Mb springboard.
    Thanks in advance for any info.

Sorry one last question. What program do you use to track your patients? Patient Keeper?
  5.    #5  
    This little baby's got Harrison's, which is important for a base reference for all medical conditions. I refer to it daily, and people I work with are coming to know that if they have a question, they come to me. They get the answer immediately.
    5 Minute Clinical Consult is also in daily use, more so because it's clinically oriented and helps me act in response to my patient's conditions on the spot. Lexidrug the same, and the Apothecarium is used on every patient at the time of prescription change to check for interactions. As a physician assistant, I use the PA Handbook for my practice level guidance as I operate dependently under my attending, so I do not exced my license level. And the Emergency text is just as valuable, since Emergency is algorithm-oriented. It takes you step-wise through all the emergent situations that come up, and I've even used it in the trauma bay to guide me to the next steps and orders.
    I refer most to Degowin because medicine is constant learning, and the more I can better examine a patient, the better off we all are.
    I also use it on the floor teaching a Physical Assessment course. Instant answers to student's astute questions, so at least I leave knowing their coin has been minted crisply.
    The Reader is kept in the internal memory, and the books are in the module. one tap gives instant access to the texts, and the new Reader is TAP INSTANT!
    PatientKeper, of course. I have evolved a deep Pop-Up list for my addiction medicine specialty, which is probably of no interest to anyone but myself and the few people practicing in this specialty. Patient Keeper is infinitely modifyable to your needs. I admit I have spent many hours entering all this stuff in. I try to top it off each day with terms I saw during the day.
    The take-home message: It's worth the money for me because it saves me time. My patients appreciate having their questions answered at bedside, rather than the usual song-and dance we give when we do not have the answer.

Tell me more about your needs and what you're considering.

[This message has been edited by BHansen (edited 03-24-2000).]
  6.    #6  
    Harrison's, PA Handbook, Emergency, and DeGowin use only around 3 MB on the module.
    5MB free for more books as the library grows.

5MCC, Lexidrug, and Apothecarium take up around 6MB on the internal memory. That leaves 2MB for PatientKeeper and my other stuff, leaving around 1 MB free.
  7. Ian
    BHansen,
    Do you know of any PDA resources for DSM-IV or psychiatry-specific meds? I am a psychology postdoc and would love to have references for the diagnostic categories I use most often, as well as the psychotropic medications.

Also, is PatientKeeper highly specific to general medicine or would it be useful for a psychology practice?
  8.    #8  
    Ian,
    PatientKeeper is for gathering History and Physical Examination data for a chart. It is so modifyable that one could use it for record-keeping of patients with the data you are interested in, but it would mean your entering in the phrasing you use yourself. We all are doing it, so bear up. You'll be rewarded if you take the time. It can print out your record on paper with Stevens Creek Palm Print.
    www.handmedical.com will keep you up to date on anything clinical.
    www.handmedical.com has Stern's MGH Guide to Psychiatry in Primary Care.

Jim Thompson, through www.handango.com has DSM-IV Axes. They also have 1-Box eCoder Psychiatry, Redi-Reference Psychiatry (which I use for quick psych med reference), and ICD10 Psychiatric Diagnostic Coding Reference if you're involved in billing HCFA E/M coding (like everyone today). www.ePocrates qRx.com is free, and has all your meds and a groovy pop-up fuction of interactions and other invaluable stuff.
    Let me know what else you find over time.

I guess that means there are at least two of us out there!

[This message has been edited by BHansen (edited 03-13-2000).]
    First off thanks for taking the time to post a great informative reply. Right now I'm a second year med student, i.e. no clinical experience, so I don't really know what my needs are at this moment (some extra flash brain ROM would be nice :P I bought the visor now so that I would have it all set up and be familiar with it by the time rotations start. Right now I'm gathering informaion on how to make the best use of my OVdx.

I'm looking to get the 4 text deal at @hand and with PDH, Harrison's, 5mcc and one other. Thanks to your comments I will try and find the paper version of DeGowin's and check it out and I'm going to go back and check on the Emergency text. I will get Patient Keeper because I've only heard great things about it and everyone loves it.
    My wish list now is 1)Rhodiana case (on the way) 2)Innogear 6-pak ('cause it has the 8 meg expansion + stuff), 3)pass step 1 exam 4)and that I never ever lose my visor while I'm in an up all night stupor

Now where did I put that student loan check!?
    thanks again

------------------
    MOO!!!

[This message has been edited by ghostcow (edited 03-13-2000).]

[This message has been edited by ghostcow (edited 03-13-2000).]
  10.    #10  
    ghostcow,

Hanspring Visor Deluxe for rotations:
    Replaces the little black book we all carried crammed with information picked up at each site. (You can even download a dermatome drawing.)

Middle of the night:
    Prompts for the foggy brain, so you won't kill anyone. Checks interactions (bad for the career).

Morning:
    Show up early, round on all patients and gather lab data. Buff up the charts. When the Big Doggie hits the floor, you're the expert on every patient. And you can be sure you'll be asked, and nobody ever could remember everything about every patient every day. The PatienKeeper database is cumulative, so as the patient progresses day by day, all you have to do is enter the latest vitals and labs. Print out your SOAP notes and H&Ps. Beats trying to write all day. At night, download into your PC and buff up your H&P for Case Presentation the next day.

When you're practicing, you'll be able to module-link prescriptions in secure transmission to pharmacy fax machines, eliminating forgery, loss, and misread Rx.

@Hand's medical library is perfectly suited to your needs when loaded into the Handspring Visor Deluxe. You will carry all your references in your pocket, instead of becoming the stereotypical medical student looking like Captain Kangaroo with pockets full of paper.

An Internal Medicine attending I work with requires all students to show up with a compatible PDA so rounding information can be shared.

You are the lead of the new electronic documentation generation of medicine, and any student today not familiar with this technology is going to be lunch.

[This message has been edited by BHansen (edited 03-13-2000).]
    I also use the backlight to check pupil response and the stylus is a must for checking Babinski response.
  12. Ian
    BHansen,

I'm with ghostcow. Thanks for all the information. It's obvious how much you enjoy your Visor.

I've already downloaded a few demos from Handango (I just read your response about 10 minutes ago) and have tried to visit the other sites as well. The links for the DSM-IV axes weren't working, though, and I couldn't locate the pages for ePocrates given the URL you supplied. However, I am now even more excited to actually get myself a Visor.

Ian
    When you're practicing (snip), eliminating forgery, loss, and misread Rx.
    Speaking of which, you guys will have to learn to clean up your penmanship if you're going to continue to use the Visor (or any Palm). These grafitti writing recognition are pretty particular!

I'm not affiliated with the medical community, so don't kill me.

------------------
    Cheers,
    Rob Lund
    The Rob Pages
    roblund@mitsi.com

"You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everything else."
    -- Fight Club
  14.    #14  
    Ian,

Sorry.
    Hit www.ePocrates.com
    Wow!
    There sure seems to be a lot of interest in the visor as a medical tool. But I am wondering if there is anybody using the only (so far)springboard module for medical stuff - the PDR from http://www.franklin.com/medical/pdr_palm_hs.asp
    I would not think there are too many since epocrates is free and the PDR certainly is not.
    Bhansen...

Thank you SOOO much for the post. I am a PA student in Oakland, Ca. and I am following suit with several other classmates in that I finally ordered a visor deluxe recently. The spector of rotations looms imminently (well, in August) and your post topic and replies thereto have been of great help to solidify my decision to purchase from the @hand library. I had seen Degowin before, but your high marks for it made it a must, as is the 5mcc. One question, the Apothecarium will give drug interactions...How complete is it?

As with other folks on this thread, thank you in advance for the GREAT info.!
  17.    #17  
    D.C. Roberts,

Lexi is 6,400 of the most prescribed drugs today...more than this PA will ever have anything to do with. As for Apotheacrium, I believe it covers them all, but ask K2. Ask Dave Snider at @handmedical about the textbooks.

Handspring Visor Deluxe is the best option today for the PA Student and practicing PA because it has twice the memory of PalmPilot. We NEED to have @hand's library, and if you get set up you'll have more memory for reference, so it's Handspring. Please stay in touch about PA practice...swap databases as we write them. And congratulations on entering practice with a pocket brain.

[This message has been edited by BHansen (edited 03-15-2000).]

[This message has been edited by BHansen (edited 03-17-2000).]
    hi everyone,
    I've been reading through this thread excitedly. I bought my handspring to eliminate all the little scraps of notes I always kept/lost everwhere and didn't realize how extensively used it was in the medical field.

I'm entering medical school, first year, here at Mount Sinai(new york) in the fall,
    I'm not sure what all the software thats been mentioned is/does. From what I've read it seems like it would be prudent for me to check it out later on(i.e. before 3rd year), is there anything I should be looking into getting for now, for the first two years?

any insight anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated. thanks for your time

take care
    andy

andysolo@mindspring.com
  19. SAK
    I recently purchased a Visor and would like to obtain 5MCC. I'm not sure at this point which drug resources I'll buy as well. It seems that both @hand and K2 offer 5MCC and I would like opinions/advice regarding the which is most useful. It would be helpful to hear from someone who has used both @hand and k2 products. Thanks!
    Congratulation andy and good luck on 1st year. IMHO, I don't think you will find the programs we've listed here extremely useful during your first year and it might be best to to wait until next year before buying them. This assumes that your courses the first year are similar to mine (cell, anatomy, histology, physiology, neuroanatomy, etc.). The main reason I would wait is so that you can get the newest version right when you need it. @hand says that if they get a new version within 6 months of your purchase then you can upgrade for free, after that I assume you pay full price.

To be honest I wish I would have bought the visor and these programs for 2nd year for use in Pathology, clinical medicine and pharmacology where the quick reference would have been very helpful.

I can't think of any programs that would be that great for first year. I've seen some listing of basic science stuff on various boards, stuff like amino acids with abbreviations and structure but you will have to memorize most of that stuff anyway so... Just buy a Netter: Atlas of Human Anatomy, and start sleeping with it

Actually, I just thought of something would be helpful and that is a good medical dictionary, I donít really know of a good PDA one right now but I think @hand is working on it. But you canít beat the Steadmanís paper version and it came with a less exhaustive windows program I usually leave running when Iím reading so I can quickly look up a word.

Hope this helps some but it is just opinion and if youíve got the extra money I might just go ahead, but I donít soÖ.

------------------
    MOO!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast