Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    There is a need for a bulletproof Treo 650. Here is the thought: there are some combinations of programs that make it crash free. There are certain programs that make it a nightmare.

For example, I loaded some 10 programs onto it and never had a problem. Not 1 reset. Not 1 crash. Never a problem. I thought those on this forum reporting endless resets were imagining it.

Then I loaded a program (I think it was Graffitti). The 650 started reset after reset. I had to do a hard reset. Reinstall all my programs. Because of Powerrun and Backupman, reinstalling was confusing. I had all the programs on the card. Everything was doubled. After brain surgery the 650 is now back to "normal" but now I do not trust it like before.

So we need people to write who have NO problems at all. Tell us what you have installed.

Those with resets, etc., should point out the programs that created trouble. Data loss, etc.
    Though there is a S/W compatibility list thread and list already, some of the reported crashes in other threads don't necessarily align with the results posted there.

I installed a trial version of Butler (2.55?) and it completely hosed my Treo. The first time I activated it, the 'Please Register Sir' nag came up and would NOT go away even after a reset. I had to hard reset and remove it from the backup folder....

Right now the only 'iffy' programs are Agendus and Agendus Mail. Everything else is rock solid: SplashData, SplashPhoto, SplashShopper, pTunes, Graffiti Anywhere (no crashes, but functionality issue), Backup VFS, DatavizTech, McFile, Shadow (no crashes but REALLY slow on exiting), and ZLauncher

Quote Originally Posted by mgauss
    There is a need for a bulletproof Treo 650. Here is the thought: there are some combinations of programs that make it crash free. There are certain programs that make it a nightmare.

For example, I loaded some 10 programs onto it and never had a problem. Not 1 reset. Not 1 crash. Never a problem. I thought those on this forum reporting endless resets were imagining it.

Then I loaded a program (I think it was Graffitti). The 650 started reset after reset. I had to do a hard reset. Reinstall all my programs. Because of Powerrun and Backupman, reinstalling was confusing. I had all the programs on the card. Everything was doubled. After brain surgery the 650 is now back to "normal" but now I do not trust it like before.

So we need people to write who have NO problems at all. Tell us what you have installed.

Those with resets, etc., should point out the programs that created trouble. Data loss, etc.
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
    Graffiti Anywhre worked fine on my T650. I did not try Butler.

My advice is to stay away from apps that are not fully tried and trusted. Just coz you can dowload it, or its trial, free doesn't mean you start loading your Treo with everything you can find. Apps conflicts probably account for most reset, and lockup problems I've read about.
    This is an interesting thread, but i'm not sure the goal of a completely stable 650 is possible. I think the main issue is that the irreplacable phone app seems to cause resets periodically and, more importantly, the treo's databases have a propensity to get corrupted.

I think palm really needs to aggressively fix these issues the new file system has caused. Once that happens I think many of or problems will just vanish.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgauss
    ...I loaded some 10 programs onto it and never had a problem. Not 1 reset. Not 1 crash. Never a problem.

Which 10 programs did you load that left you with a stable device?