1.    #1  
    This was on IpaqHQ.com
    Seems like Sprint is doing the same thing, maybe they will release thier update soon...

Verizon Gets Served Over Bluetooth Policy
    The mighty Verizon has been served up a healthy slice of law suit over their policy of crippling the Bluetooth dial-up networking (DUN) functionality of the Motorola v710 mobile phone.

You may remember the anticipation and longing that the announcement of a real Bluetooth phone from Verizon inspired. Once the phone was available, Verizon made it clear that DUN use through the Bluetooth system on the v710 was not going to be allowed. I seem to remember the wording being something like "...doesn't fit into our business model..." or something similar.

Well, now, Verizon has a lawsuit to challenge their "business model". Filled by the California law firm of Kirtland & Packard, the claim states that by default, the advertising of Bluetooth in a mobile phone carries with it the expectation of various functions, including DUN. Thus, to cripple the DUN feature of the Bluetooth handhset is to violate the Bluetooth rights (I guess) of the buyer / subscriber. I can tell you that I was forced away from Verizon for this very reason -- I ended-up with Cingular over the need for DUN on a Bluetooth handset because their "business model" didn't match-up with my "business model."

The suit now has class action status, so if you're so affected, feel free to contact the law firm and get your name added to the list[Read More]
    5 Replies | 229 Views - Posted by MikeUnwired On Jan 14, 2005 - 2:24 PM
    Jim@treo1.com
    <a href="http://treo1.com">
    treo1.com
    One Stop, plain and simple
    <a href="http://treo1.com/index650.htm"> Visit our new Treo650 optimized site!!</a>
    <a href="http://palmoscentral.com"> Visit our new website palmOSCentral.com!</a>
    Did the bluetooth crippling act only affect the v710, or all bluetooth enabled phones?
    Why would you want to be on the list? So when it is over and Verizon has to pay millions, you will get a check for $10 and the lawers pocket the rest? No Thanks.
    If I had a Verizon Motorola v710, that would be $10 in my pocket I didn't have before. But, more importantly than the $10, I would be one of the people who stood up and told Verizon that they have to get with the program and stop being afraid of their customers.
    My Treo: Treo 650, Sprint CDMA. SW: 1.08, HW: A.
    My Plan: $105/mo for 2000 AT, Unlimited N&W starting at 7pm, Unlimited PCS to PCS, No Roaming Charges in the U.S., Unlimited PCS Vision, Unlimited SMS & PictureMail.
    My Stats: Using an average of 50MB of PCS Vision per month. 2,500+ photos in my PCS PictureMail account. Had a Treo 600 since 10/24/03, switched to a Treo 650 on 1/5/05.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    For as much as Verizon charges for everything, especially data services, they should be offering people as many ways to use those services as possible. I hope more people complain. I cringe every time I hear of a civil cuit being filed, since so many are complete shazzbutt (ahem...), but when Verizon leaves no other options on issues like this I have to side with the "little guy." There are only a handful of major providers and two of them in particular exert complete control over what new phones models can be used on their networks and the functionality of those devices (it isn't even possible to buy the phones without service and you are then locked to them forever unless you shell out for another service, which is locked to another contract). There is no way to buy the devices seperate from their service, or the service seperate from the devices.

Though some will say that if a person doesn't like they way things are done at Verizon they should just switch providers, but this often is not a viable option either. Sprint does the very same things with its phones and services, as does Cingular. T-Mobile is heading in that direction as well unfortunately. I wish I could say I didn't support yet another lawsuit being filed, but this is one of the very few that I see with some merit.
    Bluetooth rights? They're kidding, right? While I also think Verizon's policy of keeping people from using bluetooth in certain ways is weak, so is suing over "bluetooth rights". Suing over "expectations" is ridiculous. If Verizon forced you to be on their network, that's one thing. But you have the choice of carriers and Verizon states their policies. You can agree to abide by them or not. I don't see how a court can force a company to provide or not provide services as they see fit. I don't see this lawsuit going anywhere.

Actually, now as I write this, it just occurred to me. I have a V710 and DUN works fine. I use both a PocketPC and a laptop to connect to the 1X network and I don't even have a data plan, I just use minutes. File transfer via BT was what was disabled, not DUN. Verizon said something about having a contract with Get It Now vendors to not allow BT file transfers. Hmmmm. I think the author of this thread got some signals mixed up.
    A check for $10? You should be so lucky. What you'll get is a coupon for 30% off any single accessory for the Motorola Brick Phone circa 1982 and the lawyers will get $10,000,000.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie
    Why would you want to be on the list? So when it is over and Verizon has to pay millions, you will get a check for $10 and the lawers pocket the rest? No Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    A check for $10? You should be so lucky. What you'll get is a coupon for 30% off any single accessory for the Motorola Brick Phone circa 1982 and the lawyers will get $10,000,000.
    True. I remember a class action against Cingular about 4 years ago, and in the mail I got "that" coupon for 25% or so off an accessory from the Cingular store.
    Good, I'm glad they are getting sued for this nonsense. btw, DUN does work, it's the file transfer that was disabled...you can't transfer photos/mp3s/contacts via BT because Verizon wants to take your money for their crappy Get it Now service.

My new phone with service comes from Cingular on Monday, I'm glad to be ditching my v710 and Verizon.
    While GSM has many advantages, it just doesn't compare to CDMA networks like Verizon and Sprint for coverage and network speed. Building penetration is particulary a problem for GSM. I had Cingular and T-Mobile. Neither could even get a signal in my office. Even going to Home Depot, signal was lost. But Verizon worked, never less than two bars anywhere. Of course, it also depends on where you live. GSM in NY or LA will certainly be better than Buffalo or Duluth
    Moderator, please combine THIS THREAD with this one. They are identical.