View Poll Results: Of the models you have tried which do you like and dislike?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sony Erickson - Like it

19 28.36%
  • Sony Erickson - Don't Like it

3 4.48%
  • Scala - Like it

25 37.31%
  • Scala - Don't Like it

2 2.99%
  • Motorola - Like it

3 4.48%
  • Motorola - Don't Like it

12 17.91%
  • Jabra - Like it

9 13.43%
  • Jabra - Don't Like it

16 23.88%
  • Other - Like it

3 4.48%
  • Other - Don't Like it

5 7.46%
Multiple Choice Poll.
  1.    #1  
    I have read hundreds of posts regarding this subject. I am more confused than when I began, regarding bluetooth headsets. Could you help us GSMers. Could you please help me with the poll and post
    1. what model you have 2. pros 3. cons and comments.

You can pick more than one answer
    Last edited by cglaguna; 01/20/2005 at 05:53 PM.
    LMAO. I agree that a single thread reviewing all bluetooth headsets would suffice.

I have a motorola HS10. I can tell you the mic quality is superior. No one can tell if I'm on a headset. The earpiece quality is a different story, and I can't improve it with a readily made eargel without getting inventive with super glue.

bt range is not too great. Surprisingy, it seems that with all bluetooth headsets your body acts as a shield. So if the phone is on your left in a belt clip or a pocket and the headset is on your right ear the quality degrades.

I ordered (backordered?) a Cardo Scala 500 for $36 on eCost's bargain countdown to compare performance. I heards lots of good things about it here, and the price is unbeatable.
    So far it looks least one or more people have a problem with at least every single BT headset out... Upon doing search upon search on TC, I am officially CONFUSED. Alot of the older threads may be misleading as many are getting better results with these same BT headsets they had a problem with before from just using the BTmute app... Maybe from now on if people can post if they did or did not utilize BTmute (and what version) when giving their findings on their particular BT headset it would be more accurate?

Just my two bones on the matter...
    Last edited by techprincesse; 01/22/2005 at 07:00 AM.

Sprint PCS user since 1999

-=-=-
    Palm IIIC -> Palm M100 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 755P
    Do I count as a Palm addict if I still have my original Palm IIIC?
    -=-=-
    Praise is what I do...
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by techprincesse
    So far it looks least one or more people have a problem with at least every single BT headset out... Upon doing search upon search on TC, I am officially CONFUSED. Alot of the older threads may be misleading as many are getting better results with these same BT headsets they had a problem with before from just using the BTmute app... Maybe from now on if people can post if they did or did not utilize BTmute (and what version) when giving their findings on their particular BT headset it would be more accurate?

Just my two bones on the matter...
    Yes, this would be great.
    HBH 660
    No BT Mute
    Clear Jabra eargel - right ear large
    Plenty loud
    usually very clear

Very happy, except I wish the HBH were a little more stylish, (shorter and rounder)

Clue
    Ditto, except I am using BTmute and have to turn the volume down a good bit
    [QUOTE=TonyH] bt range is not too great. Surprisingy, it seems that with all bluetooth headsets your body acts as a shield. So if the phone is on your left in a belt clip or a pocket and the headset is on your right ear the quality degrades.
    /QUOTE]

Just my 2cents...

I had been using a Jabra BT200 for non-bluetooth phones for over almost 2 years with my Samsung SPi300. In addtion, I bought a second BT250 and Olympia Bluetooth cordless phone for my home office. Both worked great as far as about 20 - 30 feet with no interference in my home and home/office (with three 2.4GHz 802.11b/g access points running 24/7 in my home as well).

When I got my 650, I tried both the BT200 and the BT250 with it, and had consistent "crackling" and a range of about 4 feet. I also did not have the availability of the BT "hands-free" profile. I then purchased a PalmOne BT Jabra, and now have "hands-free" profile features, but the range and interference are still really, REALLY, REALLY annoying! At the same time, I still use my original BT250 with my Olympia phone, and it is CLEAR AS BELL...in the exact same environment. I then double-checked my BT200 with my old Sprint Samsung SPi300, and it too is CLEAR AS A BELL...again in the exact same environment.

Based on the above, this can ONLY mean that the BT transceiver in the 650 is NOT powerful enough. I don't know if this can be corrected through a software patch or not, but I am extremely dissappointed in the marginal audio quality of the Treo 650's implementation of BT for headsets. I would be more than willing to have less battery life in exchange for more BT power and range/interference resistance. I really hope Palm fixes this.

Otherwise I really LOVE my phone. I'm just soooooo disappointed in the BT quality, especially as I've been using hands-free BT for over 2 years...I guess you could say the Treo is no way close to my expectations in this area.

I haven't really seen many other posts quite like this, which compare the bluetooth performance of the same headset with other bluetooth phones...be they cordless or cellular. But I really think that both Sprint and (especially) PalmOne need to openly recognize and admit the Treo650's sub par BT headset performance...especially as compared to other solutions that have been available for over 2 years. Technology is supposed to IMPROVE over time, NOT get worse... BT is SUPPOSED to work up to 30 feet away. You'll be lucky if you get a 3rd of that with the Treo650, and I guarantee after 2 feet you'll have so much "crackling" that the audio quality is unsuitable for conversation.

Well...like I said....just my 2 cents.
    ...I guarantee after 2 feet you'll have so much "crackling" that the audio quality is unsuitable for conversation.
    Not true for me with HBH-660 unless I am in a noisy/windy environment. Otherwise get at least 30'.
    Quote Originally Posted by bguzik
    Based on the above, this can ONLY mean that the BT transceiver in the 650 is NOT powerful enough.
    I also used BT200 and BT250 with the T650 and tey were crappy. The Moto HS810 improved it, but did not get rid of the 54g network and cordless phone interference because bt 1.1 is incapable of that

Only bt 1.2 can eliminate such interference, but both the phone and headset must be 1.2, and that has not happened yet. Another technological anxiety factor for TreoLanders
    The hbh-660 is pretty good. I don't really like the belkin. In fact, i strongly dislike it

Art
    Newton->Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism->Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 755p->Touch Pro->Palm Pre!
    Quote Originally Posted by bguzik
    ...When I got my 650, I tried both the BT200 and the BT250 with it, and had consistent "crackling" and a range of about 4 feet...
    I'm having the same issues with a Sony HBH 660. If I have the phone clipped to my left hip and the headset on my right ear, I hear static, and I get complaints about how I sound. Not to mention the very low volume of the headset in general. It's almost unusable in a car. All in all I"m pretty disappointed in the BT headset performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    I also used BT200 and BT250 with the T650 and tey were crappy. The Moto HS810 improved it, but did not get rid of the 54g network and cordless phone interference because bt 1.1 is incapable of that

Only bt 1.2 can eliminate such interference, but both the phone and headset must be 1.2, and that has not happened yet. Another technological anxiety factor for TreoLanders

That may be true, but it does NOT explain why those issues only appear with the Treo 650. Neither my original BT200 or my BT250 w/the Olympia phone are BT1.2, and I don't have the noise issues. I'm firmly convinced this is a tranceiver power issue on the Treo 650.