1.    #1  
    Like the rest of you, I am waiting for the GSM model to come out. Before I purchase, I wanted to ask what the best way to do this would be.

I currently have an AT&T phone/SIMM.
    1) Will my AT&T SIMM work in a Cingular Treo?

Even if the SIMM will work, the unlimited data plans for AT&T Treo 600 is like $40.00 https://business.attwireless.com/bus...requestid=7038

Whether the SIMM will work or not, I am leaning towards getting a cheap/free cingular phone and getting the Media Works plan https://www.cingular.com/media/media_purchase for $19.95 and then just switching the SIMM in to the Treo when it comes out. Does the Media Works plan include internet, text messaging and instant messaging?

My concern is that if you order a Cingular Treo 600 and get the unlimited data plan, it costs $79.99

http://onlinestore2.cingular.com/web...e&subOrderId=1

Are we really sure that the Media Works plan will get us everything we need on the Treo? If not, it looks like the AT&T plan is the better way to go.

If Cingular and AT&T are the same company now, why are they selling different devices and plans at different rates?

Also, how do you know if the Treo you buy is "unlocked"? Or is it the SIMM that needs to be unlocked?

thanks
    I have MediaWorks on my 600 and my data works fine...
    Media works me too. $19.95
    Unlimited data
    200 mms
    1500 sms

Buy form Palm one and will be unlocked for sure.
    I did not think that AT&T was going to offer the TREO650. I talked to a CSR at a local sotre and he told me that if you want a TREO, you have to go with Cingular. Can anyone verify this?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by brynat
    I have MediaWorks on my 600 and my data works fine...
    when you say it works, do you get internet, instant messaging, text messaging?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    Media works me too. $19.95
    Unlimited data
    200 mms
    1500 sms

Buy form Palm one and will be unlocked for sure.
    so you get 1500 text messages
    200 mulitmedia messages (pictures i'm assuming)
    for unlimited data, what exactly is that? internet and instant messaging?

thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NVFS
    I did not think that AT&T was going to offer the TREO650. I talked to a CSR at a local sotre and he told me that if you want a TREO, you have to go with Cingular. Can anyone verify this?
    Do a search in this forum - someone posted a link to ATTWS' business solutions web page which clearly states that the Treo 650 will be available soon. So, I would assume you can get the T650 with ATTWS as well as Cingular.
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $the$ $way$ $it$ $works$ $with$ $Cingular$ $is$ $that$ $IMs$ $count$ $as$ $text$ $messages$.
    Quote Originally Posted by dubLdribL
    so you get 1500 text messages
    200 mulitmedia messages (pictures i'm assuming)
    for unlimited data, what exactly is that? internet and instant messaging?

thanks
    Yes, 1500 Text messages or SMS phone number to phone number or xxx-xxx-xxxx@mobile.mycingular.com or sending an email through sms.

200 MMS Multimedia messages Picture messages

unlimited data = unlimited internet, instant messaging, tradional email.
    I use chatter and Verichat. And yes I can access any page that blazer supports.
  10.    #10  
    thanks for the info. i'm still not sure whether i should risk it with buying a cingular phone and media works plan and wait for the treo or just hang on to my current at&T and get stuck with $40/month unlimited plan.
    AT&T has an "mMode" plan for $24.95 which includes unlimited data just like Cingular's MEdia Works $19.95 plan.

Don't ask for the laptop plans.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    AT&T has an "mMode" plan for $24.95 which includes unlimited data just like Cingular's MEdia Works $19.95 plan.

Don't ask for the laptop plans.

cool thanks. last question. anyone know if an at&t simm will work in a cingular device?
    Only if the GSM phone is unlocked. The merger will not be complete for another 18 months.
  14.    #14  
    i just took my at&t simm out and put it in to a t-mobile charm blackberry. it couldn't read the simm card, it said "insert simm".

i put the t-mobile simm in my phone and it asked for a restriction code.

i guess that means my simm is locked since the t-mobile didn't even recognize it.
    Quote Originally Posted by djfusion
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $the$ $way$ $it$ $works$ $with$ $Cingular$ $is$ $that$ $IMs$ $count$ $as$ $text$ $messages$.
    No, this is not true on a Treo, I don't know about other Cingular phones. It depends on your software and settings.

Depending on how they are set in preferences Verichat, only the first IM of the session is an sms, the alert is sent as a text message, the rest is internet usage. that is the way I have it set. If you stay active in the program all ims are data.

If you leave the program the ims become sms for the first. you can hav no sms notification if you wish.
    Quote Originally Posted by dubLdribL
    i just took my at&t simm out and put it in to a t-mobile charm blackberry. it couldn't read the simm card, it said "insert simm".

i put the t-mobile simm in my phone and it asked for a restriction code.

i guess that means my simm is locked since the t-mobile didn't even recognize it.
    The sim card is not locked, the phone is.
  17.    #17  
    so i guess my at&t phone is not locked since it asked for a restriction code to use the t-mobile simm
    the t-mobile device must be locked since it wouldn't even recognize my at&t simm