1.    #1  
    O.K. I'm probably going to ask a few stupid questions, but I just have not been able to find an answer anywhere and Cingular/AT&T Cust. Serv. has been no help, but to say you have to buy a new phone in order to get the new service plans. I have a new wife that has two AT&T lines and we are looking to add another under the FamilyTalk plan.

IF I can get the unlock code for my AT&T Treo 600 - should I unlock it even if I do not go to a Cingular plan? It would seem it would open up potential for addressing issues down the line. I am AMAZED that though the Cingular and AT&T Treo phones have identical specs, that Cingular is not supporting the AT&T phones. I bought this phone 6 months ago, love it, but now not sure what the future holds. Any way I digress.

If I can get the phone/SIM card unlocked, can I buy a new cingular SIM card that would work in this phone. Cingular Cust. Serv. did not make that option available. If I were to Buy the cheapest phone with a SIM card, can I transfer my ST&T number to that phone, then take out the SIM card and insert it into my newly unlocked Treo600.

I have been trying to find answers all day, I hope someone can help.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffy600
    O.K. I'm probably going to ask a few stupid questions, but I just have not been able to find an answer anywhere and Cingular/AT&T Cust. Serv. has been no help, but to say you have to buy a new phone in order to get the new service plans. I have a new wife that has two AT&T lines and we are looking to add another under the FamilyTalk plan.

IF I can get the unlock code for my AT&T Treo 600 - should I unlock it even if I do not go to a Cingular plan? It would seem it would open up potential for addressing issues down the line. I am AMAZED that though the Cingular and AT&T Treo phones have identical specs, that Cingular is not supporting the AT&T phones. I bought this phone 6 months ago, love it, but now not sure what the future holds. Any way I digress.

If I can get the phone/SIM card unlocked, can I buy a new cingular SIM card that would work in this phone. Cingular Cust. Serv. did not make that option available. If I were to Buy the cheapest phone with a SIM card, can I transfer my ST&T number to that phone, then take out the SIM card and insert it into my newly unlocked Treo600.

I have been trying to find answers all day, I hope someone can help.
    unlock the phone and you can use any sim cards on your att treo 600.
    all GSM treo 600 is the same GSM treo 600 (physical) with different firmware (software) in the system.

Cingular does not support ATT / TMO or the other way around, mainly they are trained to deal with the Cingular's (firmware) version of treo 600.

about the whole sim card / transfer number.. etc.. i do not know what you are trying to ask. sorry.

also, you mentioned "would open up potential for addressing issues down the line", i do not see any issues would come down to the line. but i do see issues if you want to use your treo 600 (ATT branded) on other GSM network and not getting it unlocked.
    I doubt they will unlock the phone for you. But if you want to do it yourself go to the treo 600 forum on mytreo.net and you will get what you need. Once unlocked if you wanted to switch to a cingular plan you could do what you said, buy a cheap gsm phone, transfer the number and switch SIMs.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    if you want to do it yourself go to the treo 600 forum on mytreo.net and you will get what you need.
    May I trouble you for a link to that discussion, fellow TreoLander? In the mean time I'll be doing a search. I would like to know how to unlock a GSM phone, and whether SIM's are easily cloned (well, for backup, not for illegal schemes).
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    May I trouble you for a link to that discussion, fellow TreoLander? In the mean time I'll be doing a search. I would like to know how to unlock a GSM phone, and whether SIM's are easily cloned (well, for backup, not for illegal schemes).
    http://mytreo.net/forum/index.php?topic=6345.0
    http://mytreo.net/forum/index.php?topic=3906.0
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    I doubt they will unlock the phone for you. But if you want to do it yourself go to the treo 600 forum on mytreo.net and you will get what you need. Once unlocked if you wanted to switch to a cingular plan you could do what you said, buy a cheap gsm phone, transfer the number and switch SIMs.
    or get a free gsm phone. free is better than buy one
    Yeah -- my recommendation is to go for a free GSM phone from Cingular when you port your AT&T number (they'll do it for free, BTW) and then sign up for the $20 MediaWorks plan. After you unlock your Treo, slip that shiny new SIM into your Treo and you'll be set.

And you'll have a backup GSM phone too.

But, if you don't need a backup phone, don't let Cingular con you into getting a contract. If you bring your own phone, you are not obligated to sign up for a long contract term....
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffy600
    IF I can get the unlock code for my AT&T Treo 600 - should I unlock it even if I do not go to a Cingular plan? It would seem it would open up potential for addressing issues down the line. I am AMAZED that though the Cingular and AT&T Treo phones have identical specs, that Cingular is not supporting the AT&T phones.
    Cingular although financial owns ATT has not finished complete internal integration.

Yes, helped member Ar1zona1 do the same thing except he decided to move to Cingular plan. Don't need to transfer phone number, need to ask to move over. Convince them to give you free sim card and migrate you for free. The link to unlocking is posted on this board already, I believe.
  9. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Superfire gives you good advice and the links he provides are all you need. Unlocking is relatively easy to do. I am not a techie and I had no problem doing it. I also switched over from ATT to Cingular.
    If you migrate from AT&T to Cingular with an T600, and you unlock the phone and change the sim cards, do you need to run the firmware upgrader for Cingular to access the web and sms services or can you leave the AT&T firmware on there and access the data?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester1275
    If you migrate from AT&T to Cingular with an T600, and you unlock the phone and change the sim cards, do you need to run the firmware upgrader for Cingular to access the web and sms services or can you leave the AT&T firmware on there and access the data?
    You shouldn't need to, since the SIM should have the info for the GPRS connection. The firmware's barely different, although you could get rid of the stupid Office Online "app"
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."