1.    #1  
    Thinking about "connection lost" errors during Hotsyncing...I was just looking at my Hotsync cable and noticed that the pin arrangement looks a bit irregular. There are 13 total "slots" and only 5 of them have pins protruding. Looking at it from the side with the button: the 6th and then 10th-13th "slots" have gold tabs protruding, with the 10th tab protruding a bit more than the others.

Do others' Hotsync cables look like this? I know this is a wild shot but could this have anything to do with the dicey Hotsync connection?
    Yeah. There was another thread here where people were comparing cables. They are all the same. (As in all cables have the 1 taller pin in the same location) I suspect that the taller pin is the cable shield (Ground) is is designed to contact first to take any static to ground before data pins make contact. Just a guess tho.

As for lost connection, unrecognised USB device and complete failure to connect - I do believe that this point of connection is the issue. I can't believe that some engineer decided that this was the best connector solution for all future Palms. I get a good connection 3 out of 10 attempts. I need to clean the contacts on both the PDA and the cable with alcohol on a Qtip almost daily just to get it working. If only BT weren't soooooooo damn slow.

HTH

-X