Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The antenna adapter that was recently made available for the Treo 600 unfortunately does not fit the 650. I was able to modify it and and just did a test. See pics: My 650 is connected to a panel antenna with 13 dbi of gain mounted on a stand . With no ext antenna I have 1 bar and rssi of -97. With the antenna I got 3 bars and rssi of -84. Can't wait to test this at the ski lodge in VT where I get no signal.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What kind of modification did it require?

Forgive me if it's obvious, but I still haven't seen a close up picture of the adapter.
    Last edited by mahatma; 01/20/2005 at 02:23 PM.
    Where can the antennas be purchased? Cost?
    TIA,
    Dave
  4.    #4  
    I had to make the diameter smaller and shorter such that it can be inserted into the 650 and make contact to the connector.

Quote Originally Posted by mahatma
    What kind of modification did it require?

Forgive me if it's obvious, but I still haven't seen a close up picture of the adapter.
  5.    #5  
    I bought it on Ebay about a year ago and it was around $80.

Quote Originally Posted by dj81462
    Where can the antennas be purchased? Cost?
    TIA,
    Dave
  6.    #6  
    The adapter is the cable assembly between the 650 and the panel antenna.

What kind of antenna is it? So we can look for it on ebay.
    Quote Originally Posted by newtreouser
    I had to make the diameter smaller and shorter such that it can be inserted into the 650 and make contact to the connector.

What did you do? Did you just grind it down? Can we see what it looks like? This would rock for use in the car. Can you hook it up to some kind of car antenna? If we are looking for different antennas, what should we look for? Is there any question I forgot to ask?
    Blue Skies,
    Wags
    Quote Originally Posted by newtreouser
    The adapter is the cable assembly between the 650 and the panel antenna.
    Yeah, that much was understood. I meant that I hadn't seen a closeup picture of the connector on the end of the adapter. I've actually made several pigtail cables for connecting wifi pcmcia cards to various external antennas, but since I've been waiting for the GSM 650 I hadn't gotten a closeup look at it's external antenna adapter.

Did you modify the conector on the adapter you had, or did you attach a new connector?
    Quote Originally Posted by scriber
    What kind of antenna is it? So we can look for it on ebay.
    A quick googling reveals that there are several sources that sell the adapter cable without having resort to ebay. One of them is at the bottom of this page. Once you've got the adapter, there are a multitude of antennas that could be used. In the pictures, he's using fairly high-gain flat panel antenna. If you wanted a more mobile version, an omnidirectional with a magnetized base might be better.
    Last edited by mahatma; 01/20/2005 at 09:54 PM.
    ...did you simply file the adapter down to make it shorter or was it more complicated than that? I had thought about ordering the adapter (Wilsons Electronics) and seeing if it would work. I could use it several times a year when I head out to the boonies. Anyway, I had almost decided not to bother because the Vaja I-volution case I got doesn't have access to the antenna prot and the thought of taking my Treo out of this... HEAVEN SENT...case is just abominal. However, on those few occasions when I need it, I suppose the Treo could come out the case, JUST WHILE ITS IN THE CAR! Then it has minimum exposure to the world w/o its Vaja armor, and I get better signal in the boonies.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
  12.    #12  
    I used a file to file the delrin connector ring diameter down a bit and used diagonal cutters to shorten the delrin ring so the metal contacts inside the ring will mate to the 650 antenna connector. The adapter I modified is for a treo 600 made by Wilson elec. sold to all the distributors. It seems the distributors has been telling everbody that the same adapter also fit the 650, which is not true. Wilson is working on an adapter for the 650. If you go to their site, you'll see that it's pending. It may be best to wait. How long? Hope not as long as we had to wait for the 600 adapter.

Frankly I don't understand how the adapter for the 600 could work in the 600 because it does not and could not make an electrical contact with the connector on the 600. unless it is designed to work by capacitive coupling which I find hard to believe.

Yeah, that much was understood. I meant that I hadn't seen a closeup picture of the connector on the end of the adapter. I've actually made several pigtail cables for connecting wifi pcmcia cards to various external antennas, but since I've been waiting for the GSM 650 I hadn't gotten a closeup look at it's external antenna adapter.

Did you modify the conector on the adapter you had, or did you attach a new connector?
    So, I guess we would still like to see a picture...... Please.
    Blue Skies,
    Wags
  14.    #14  
    Dr Doom, see my answer above. Why is everbody so hung up on having a case? I've had my 600 for more than a year, I don't use a case and I've never dropped it or have any marks on it. I put a lanyard on my naked treo (between antenna and case) and it's wrapped around my finger evertime it comes out of my pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    ...did you simply file the adapter down to make it shorter or was it more complicated than that? I had thought about ordering the adapter (Wilsons Electronics) and seeing if it would work. I could use it several times a year when I head out to the boonies. Anyway, I had almost decided not to bother because the Vaja I-volution case I got doesn't have access to the antenna prot and the thought of taking my Treo out of this... HEAVEN SENT...case is just abominal. However, on those few occasions when I need it, I suppose the Treo could come out the case, JUST WHILE ITS IN THE CAR! Then it has minimum exposure to the world w/o its Vaja armor, and I get better signal in the boonies.
  15.    #15  
    For a car, get the highest gain antenna (tallest) that you are willing to mount on the roof. You'll want one of those magnetic mount antenna that are omni directional.

Quote Originally Posted by skydivewags
    What did you do? Did you just grind it down? Can we see what it looks like? This would rock for use in the car. Can you hook it up to some kind of car antenna? If we are looking for different antennas, what should we look for? Is there any question I forgot to ask?
    To be honest, I never was hung up on a case. My 600 stayed on my belt with a simple belt clip from Radioshack, but at the end it had its share of scraps and nicks. Still, when I first got my 650 I carried it the same way. Still, I wanted something that would give it more life because I've told myself I'm not upgrading again any time soon. I've researched every case out there, but they all had the same drawback as always. Too clunky, too restrictive. Then I decided to fork out the money and try a Vaja I-Volution, and now? Sorry, I am a case convert! Not only does it protect my ohone exactly as I hoped, but it fits like a dream, allows access to everything (except that pesky antenna jack) and adds a style and elegance to an already impresive device. That's why I'm so "hung up" on my case.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    I already have the adapter.
    On this page

http://www.alternativewireless.com/p...-treo-600.html

WOuld the small 3 inchMicro Antenna be good to use as I want a small portable one or is the larger wilson dual band be so much better better . I appreciate all help.
  18.    #18  
    VaccPalm, the adapter in your link is most likely made by Wilson for the 600. I've found that it works in neithe the 600 or the 650 without modification. read my first post above. ymmv.

I have not tried the antenna you mentioned. Go by the specs, the higher the gain, the better it works, usually. That's true only f you have an adapter cable that makes a good connection between the antenna and Treo.
    The adapter I have fits my Treo 600. I dont think it is the wilson then . I got it from

http://www.cellantenna.com/Adapters/...e_adapters.htm

Fits the treo 600 perfect. I will order the mini antenna as I need one I can carry from place to place and a 12-15 inch antenna would be hard to do. THis one has a magent on it and I just need to find a metal place to put it. The wilson web site states it has a gain of 10db for my purposes it may be perfect and I can carry it on my pocket.

UPDATE: I just got the antenna on Ebay for $12
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 01/22/2005 at 10:21 AM.
  20.    #20  
    I got mine from the same place and it is made by Wilson (I think they are the only one who makes one for the Treo). The one I have fits physically into the 600 but does not make electrical contact because of the way it's made. If you look closely and note the dimensions of the adapter connector and how the electrodes are recessed and also look closely at the Treo connector you'll see what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm
    The adapter I have fits my Treo 600. I dont think it is the wilson then . I got it from http://www.cellantenna.com/Adapters/...e_adapters.htm Fits the treo 600 perfect. I will order the mini antenna as I need one I can carry from place to place and a 12-15 inch antenna would be hard to do. THis one has a magent on it and I just need to find a metal place to put it. The wilson web site states it has a gain of 10db for my purposes it may be perfect and I can carry it on my pocket.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast