Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I have never been able to test it but the one I have looks different than the one on the Wilson web site. The one on the wilson web site has a long conector and the one I have has a small conector that snaps right into the 600 . I will let you know if it works . Soem people here have been using the one I purchased with no problems .

Here is the tread where they discuss it. I get the feeling there are 2 adapters .
    Mine seems to snap right in and looks nothing like the wilson version on there web site but i could be 100% incorrect. But these people got it to work fine.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...hlight=antenna
  2.    #22  
    I was part of that discussion too. I was using the same adapter that I still have, and at that time, mistakenly thought it was working. It was only after looking at the adapter dimensions closely (after I sold the 600), and tried to modify it for the 650, was I able to see that it was not making a electrical connection.

What link at Wilson are you looking at?

Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm
    I have never been able to test it but the one I have looks differennt than the one on the Wilson web site. The one on the wilson web site has a long conector and the one I have has a small conector that snaps right into the 600 . I will let you know if it works . Soem people here have been using the one I purchased with no problems .

Here is the tread where they discuss it. I get the feeling there are 2 adapters .
    Mine seems to snap right in and looks nothing like the wilson version on there web site but i could be 100% incorrect. But these people got it to work fine.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...hlight=antenna
    I was looking at the one in this auction. Maybe this was a stock photo and not the treo 600 adaptor.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

SO the original one we discussed in that thread does not work??

There were a few more in the discussion who got it to work.
    I purchased the adapter and never bought an antenna until today. I will give it a try .
    WHy would they sell adaptors that dont connect to the 600 an call it an 600 adaptor?
    darn i hope it works. there are a few places I go that I cant pick up a signal great and I was hoping this was the answer. Boy that sucks.
  4.    #24  
    Interesting, the one on your link looks very different than mine, which looks more like this one

http://www.wpsantennas.com/index.asp...ROD&ProdID=230

I got mine from cellphonesolutions.com the first week they got them in. Maybe Wilson changed the design? cellphonesolutions.com gave me tech support # for Wilson and I have spoken to them and decribed the problems I'm seeing. Wilson is sending me another adapter to try.

Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm
    I was looking at the one in this auction. Maybe this was a stock photo and not the treo 600 adaptor.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

SO the original one we discussed in that thread does not work??

There were a few more in the discussion who got it to work.
    I purchased the adapter and never bought an antenna until today. I will give it a try .
    WHy would they sell adaptors that dont connect to the 600 an call it an 600 adaptor?
    darn i hope it works. there are a few places I go that I cant pick up a signal great and I was hoping this was the answer. Boy that sucks.
    The one i have looks like your photo. WIll wilson replace mine for a new one that works with the treo 600? i wonder. I guess i got to wait until I get the antenna to test it.
    I only have one question. Where does the belt clip on the antenna go?
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    ARGH! So. Is there DEFINITIVELY an antenna adapter that I can use with my 650? I asked this question when the 600 came out, and the answer was no. I THOUGHT that I could make adjustments to this 600 adapter now and make it work, but from what this thread is leading me to believe now, the damn thing doesn't even work with the 600, let alone a 650. Is this true?
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
  8.    #28  
    No, not yet. Wilson is working on one for the 650.
    True
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    ARGH! So. Is there DEFINITIVELY an antenna adapter that I can use with my 650? I asked this question when the 600 came out, and the answer was no. I THOUGHT that I could make adjustments to this 600 adapter now and make it work, but from what this thread is leading me to believe now, the damn thing doesn't even work with the 600, let alone a 650. Is this true?
    Quote Originally Posted by newtreouser

Frankly I don't understand how the adapter for the 600 could work in the 600 because it does not and could not make an electrical contact with the connector on the 600. unless it is designed to work by capacitive coupling which I find hard to believe.
    I have an adapter. When I plug in to my Treo600, the sound volume is higher than without the adapter. You have to push it on with a bit of force. Why do you think it cannot make electrical contace with the connector on the Treo600? Do you think the Delrin piece is too long?
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
  10.    #30  
    Just got in the maik a new Treo 600 antenna adapter direct from Wilson and now I see why the one I bought from cellphonesolutions.com does not work on the 600. The delrin ring on the one from cellphonesolutions.com is both longer and the i.d. is smaller than the one from Wilson. I'll have to call cellphonesolutions.com and see if they'll replace the one I bought from them.

Frankly I don't understand how the adapter for the 600 could work in the 600 because it does not and could not make an electrical contact with the connector on the 600. unless it is designed to work by capacitive coupling which I find hard to believe.
  11.    #31  
    I was up in VT skiing the past few days and did some experiments with the external panel antenna in the lodge I was staying at. Nothing, zilch, could not pull in a signal. Half mile down the twisty winding mountain rd there is a 2 bar signal. Sigh, so close yet so far. If i want to pursue this any further, the next step is to try an amplifier. Not sure if I want to spend $300 to find out it won't work either. Anyone have a Sprint PCS amplifier I can borrow for a few days?

One observation about the 650 signal bar that's different than the 600: With the 600 in no service area, the antenna signal bar is not present, on the 650 the antenna signal bar is always there, even in no service area. I like the implementation in the 600 much better. The green and red flashing LED is another means to tell if there is a signal, however, you can't tell if the 650 is charging (constant red).

The antenna adapter that was recently made available for the Treo 600 unfortunately does not fit the 650. I was able to modify it and and just did a test. See pics: My 650 is connected to a panel antenna with 13 dbi of gain mounted on a stand . With no ext antenna I have 1 bar and rssi of -97. With the antenna I got 3 bars and rssi of -84. Can't wait to test this at the ski lodge in VT where I get no signal.
    I got my antenna so i did a test . I had on bar in a room where i get sketchy service and still one bar with the antenna on.
    Without the antenna it cant recieve data but with the antenna i was able to get my email.
    I ran the hash code to see the RSSI number .

WIthout the antenna it was 98 - 99
    With the antenna it is 103-105

Does this mean anything? and is this a huge difference.
  13.    #33  
    VaccPalm, -105 is a weaker signal than -99 so it could be your ext antenna is worse than the stock antenna or your antenna adapter is not making a good connection.
    Okay, newtreouser....the most important question of all....where the hell did you get the cradle for the 650???

The antenna adapter that was recently made available for the Treo 600 unfortunately does not fit the 650. I was able to modify it and and just did a test. See pics: My 650 is connected to a panel antenna with 13 dbi of gain mounted on a stand . With no ext antenna I have 1 bar and rssi of -97. With the antenna I got 3 bars and rssi of -84. Can't wait to test this at the ski lodge in VT where I get no signal.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm III --> Palm V --> Visor Prism -->Palm VII --> Kyocera 6035 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p -->Centro
    SO i am getting a worser signal with the external antanna . Geez this is going backwards. I tested it again same thing 98 without external and 104 with external antenna. Guess atleast in this room i tested it , it did not help.

I used the magnetic Mini Antenna stuck on a metal file cabinet incase ya'll need to know.

The hash for RSSI is ##744 (DIAL)
  16.    #36  
    ##744 does not give me rssi on Sprint 650. Are you using a Verizon 600? For indoor use I'd try a directional antenna with higher gain rather than that mini mag which is omni directional pattern with no very high gain.
    Using a Treo 600 Sprint.
  18.    #38  
    ##744 dial takes me to the dialpad on Sprint, not rssi
    Only works for the treo 600 not the treo 650
    FWIW...I just spoke to a Palmone tech and asked exactly what type connector is used on the 650 for the external antenna jack. What he told me is this was not an external antenna jack. The connector is used for trouble shooting RF problems, not for use with an external antenna.

That's not to say it doesn't feed into the same circuit and could possible work with an antenna, but he clearly stated the jack on the 650 was not intended to work with an external antenna.

Again, just relaying what I was told by Palmone. Any thoughts or clarification??

DJ
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast