Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have read a couple of threads that state the BT 250 does not support all the feature sets that the Bluetooth Wireless Headset for Treo 650 does.
    Is this true? If so, what will I lose by buying the BT 250?
    I am on the fence between these headsets and the Logitech Mobile Freedom. Any compelling arguments for either?
    Thanks in advance.
    I bought the Jabra BT 250 from BestBuy and the headset fit well and with the extended earpiece, the volume was good. When I placed a call with my phone the call was NOT transfered to the Jabra headset. In order to get the call transfered, I would have to press the Multifunction Button (the one with the phone) on the Jabra headset. Similarly, incoming calls are not automatically transfered to the headset. Again, I have to press the Multifunction Button to transfer the call to the headset.

Doesn't this defeat the whole purpose of "hands free". When I'm driving down the Garden State Parkway at 80+ miles per hour, the last thing I want to be doing is pressing the answer/send call button on my Treo 650, then have to press the Multifunction Button on my Bt headset. I will be returning this general retail version of the Jabra to BestBuy.

Thus, I bought the PalmOne version from their website, and now all I have to do is say "Call Joe" (I use Voice Dialing by VoiceSignal) and the phone dials the number and transfers the call to the Jabra Bt headset. That is what I call "hands free".

If you look at the digits on stem of the microphone, the P1 version has 4 digits and the general retail version which doesn't automatically transfer calls to headset has 3 digits. Also, on the TreoCentral Store, the Jabra Bt 250 is advertised as not having "Auto-link". The P1 version has "Auto-link" and thus the TC version is the general retail version.

I have also tried a turqous blue Motorola hs820 from RadioShack which did not even pair-up with my T650. The black Motorola hs820 from BestBuy paired up with my T650, but they both felt like they were falling off of my ear. Plus, the sound and volume on the black Moto hs820 was lousy.

Thus, if your interested in the Jabra Freespeak BT250, make sure you get it from the PalmOne website if you want "Auto-link".
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
    Check the threads in the BlueTooth forum first; neither of the headsets you mention work very well with the Treo 650. We got the BT250s free with our handsets and replaced them anyway because they just are too much trouble. There are a few options that appear to work OK, the Sony HBH660 and Scala 500 in particular seem to be doing OK for some.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougKoz
    Check the threads in the BlueTooth forum first; neither of the headsets you mention work very well with the Treo 650. We got the BT250s free with our handsets and replaced them anyway because they just are too much trouble. There are a few options that appear to work OK, the Sony HBH660 and Scala 500 in particular seem to be doing OK for some.
    I'm curious. I've read the other threads about the jabra 250. What kind of problems did you have with it?
    Check it out there about 250+ threads on bluetooth headsets and I have tried both types of BT-250 unsuccessfully FYI.
    Device -> 700p
    The device grave yard:
    Newton MP120 -> Newton MP 130 -> Newton 2100 -> Nino 320 -> Palm IIIc -> Visor Prism -> Kyocera 6035 -> Dell X5 -> Dell X3i ->Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by edofloat@mac.co
    Check it out there about 250+ threads on bluetooth headsets and I have tried both types of BT-250 unsuccessfully FYI.
    Can you please enlighten me with the particular issues that made your experiences with the two types of jabra bt250s unsuccessful? I'd like to know what I'm overlooking.

Thanks.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by pda_jedi
    Can you please enlighten me with the particular issues that made your experiences with the two types of jabra bt250s unsuccessful? I'd like to know what I'm overlooking.

Thanks.

Yes I am curious as well. I have read a number of reviews, some good, some bad. I can't quite sort out the what is causing the differences between these experiences. I think I have to try it myself.
    I am going to purchase the BT-250 from http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...158893894&rd=1
    This appears to be the same Jabra as th P1 store. Can anyone confirm this?
    edkress,

Unless you know there's four digits on the mic stem, I would assume it's the general retail version. Maybe you should give them a call....*** Call us anytime 203-629-1360 ****
    United States......and ask them directly. From my experience, the two versions are identical externally other than the digits on the mic stem.
    Well first I checked here then got the Bt-250 from Best Buy, couldn't get it do do anything so I returned it for another just like it and got the same result. Go figure. So then I get the P1 version and can't make it work? Hmmm, something must be wrong with phone so I goto the Sprint store they tell me to call P1 since it's not the phone. I call P1 and they tell me it is a hardware issue and they can only help with software issues. Talk about finger point, another call and trip down to the Sprint store and they replace my phone after I explained the P1 said it was the phone. Ok phone has been switched and still nothing. The BT-250 I have now does have the 4 digits and is the P1 version. Yes they version slook identical and the only way to tell the difference is themic stem.

Not sure what to do now, I have tried three headset and can't get the phone to see anything to pair to and it pairs no problem with my Mac G5. I have read nearly every post on TC like I said there are more than 250 and I have checked P1's site too. I have done a couple hard resets then tried to pair unsuccessfully, soft resets and more. I have done the slide the headset into the charger base three times which is supposed to dump the memory of hte headset as it is supposed to hold upto 8 different device setup (or pairing).

Not sure what to think. Appraently the anser is too obvious. The people at the Sprint store told me they didn't even sell the 650 there, never mind that I bought it in that very store. They don't even know how to turn the phone on either although they try to be helpful. I would think that since 80%+ of the posts here on TC pretty much indicate that either BT-250 will pair and the P1 version works incrementally better but niether have very good performance. Some other brands may work a bit better but from the sounds of things nobody has had solid performance with any headset. It's all a crapshoot, roll the dice and see if you get lucky or stung. Good luck.
    Device -> 700p
    The device grave yard:
    Newton MP120 -> Newton MP 130 -> Newton 2100 -> Nino 320 -> Palm IIIc -> Visor Prism -> Kyocera 6035 -> Dell X5 -> Dell X3i ->Treo 650
    Now I'm confused. The PalmOne web site states "Touch a single button on the headset to answer calls, last number redial, call waiting and more." No mention is made of auto-link or any other exclusive features. Can anyone state definitively what the differences between the two versions are, if any?
    Regards,

Robert
    Well, apparently now treocentral.com is selling the P1 version of the jabra 250:

http://store.treocentral.com/content...11-31--180.htm

And it has "auto-link"!
    So, pda_jedi, would you say you are happy with the performance of the palm-branded jabra? For me the 250 form-factor is a deal-clincher-- I won't even consider any of the other dangling-mic types. They're just a bit too power-ranger. The 250 seems like it sort of hides behind the ear. If I can't get it to work to my satisfaction, I'll just have to hold my phone up to my ear like a caveman.
    Quote Originally Posted by swingline
    So, pda_jedi, would you say you are happy with the performance of the palm-branded jabra? For me the 250 form-factor is a deal-clincher-- I won't even consider any of the other dangling-mic types. They're just a bit too power-ranger. The 250 seems like it sort of hides behind the ear. If I can't get it to work to my satisfaction, I'll just have to hold my phone up to my ear like a caveman.
    Well, like you said, the jabra design is superior to all the other "dangling-mic types". And that is exactly what they felt like on my ear (as if the headset was ready to fall off if I turned my head too quick). Overall I am very happy with my P1 jabra 250, especially with "auto-link". Though, I must say that around my WiFi network at home and in different areas of work where there has got to be some kind of radio frequency interference, the sound can get a slightly crackly.

Overall, I am very happy with my P1 jabra bt 250.
  14.    #14  
    I just received my bt-250 from http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...5158893894&rd=1
    It has the 4 digits on the mic stem. Will report on how it is working in a few days.
    Quote Originally Posted by edkress
    I just received my bt-250 from http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...5158893894&rd=1
    It has the 4 digits on the mic stem. Will report on how it is working in a few days.
    So edkress,

Sorry to be impatience, but what's the upshot?
  16.    #16  
    With a chance to make only a few calls/tests, my observations are this:
    1) In the car it works great. No crackling, etc. Callers on the other end said I sounded good even when the interior noise was relatively loud.
    2)At home, where I have wifi and 2.4Ghz phone, I get some crackling but it is tolerable
    3)At work (I work at a research lab that does alot of wireless research,) I definately get the crackling. But again it is tolerable. I tried walking away from the Treo and got about 15 feet before it was intolerable. I was expecting the quality to be worse after reading about the Treo 1.1 implementation and wifi interference.
    I also went into one of our labs that has just about every Cisco Router and switch ever made (in other words, very loud because of all the fans) and the person I was talking to said I sounded muted but he had no problem understanding me. I was very impressed that he could understand me at all.
    I have not tried out any of the Auto features yet but will be getting to it soon.
    So far, so good.
    BTW I had an HBH-35 for a long time paired with a SE T-68i and that was a good combo. I used the HBH-35 with my Treo for only 3 days before I lost it The sound quality with both seems similiar, though I did not have enough time with the HBH-35 to really get an impression. Can't remember if I was getting the interference with wifi.
    The P1 branded headset appears to be identical in function as the Easyspeak 250 I purchased from Best Buy. One discrepancy on the P1 website is that it states you can "redial" whereas you look at the functions listed to the right of the screen beside "redial" is says "no". I like the design of the 250 but the biggest problem is that even though the T650 is only about two feet away to my left and the headset is on my right ear, I get comments of crackling static and echo on the callers end. If I bring the handset closer to the headset the problem goes away. Another problem is audio clipping or overdriving. If I turn the volume down it seems to go away but that defeats the purpose of why I bought the headset. I could hear the BT250 better than the Moto model I tried. If there are any really significant differences in the Easyspeak and the P1 Jabra, please let me know> Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by bca3211
    The P1 branded headset appears to be identical in function as the Easyspeak 250 I purchased from Best Buy. One discrepancy on the P1 website is that it states you can "redial" whereas you look at the functions listed to the right of the screen beside "redial" is says "no". I like the design of the 250 but the biggest problem is that even though the T650 is only about two feet away to my left and the headset is on my right ear, I get comments of crackling static and echo on the callers end. If I bring the handset closer to the headset the problem goes away. Another problem is audio clipping or overdriving. If I turn the volume down it seems to go away but that defeats the purpose of why I bought the headset. I could hear the BT250 better than the Moto model I tried. If there are any really significant differences in the Easyspeak and the P1 Jabra, please let me know> Thanks!
    Do you mean jabra "easyspeak" or "freespeak"?
  19.    #19  
    Another observation: The performance of the BT250 in windy conditions is Horrible!
    Otherwise I am happy with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by pda_jedi
    Well, apparently now treocentral.com is selling the P1 version of the jabra 250:

http://store.treocentral.com/content...11-31--180.htm

And it has "auto-link"!
    Yes, this looks like the "real deal" that P1 sells and it is cheaper here! Beware though before you buy this headset as many here including myself are uphappy with the audio reception on this baby. It's great as long as you hold the phone 10 inches from the earpiece and turn off your Wi-Fi and cordless phones in your house. Otherwise I'm happy with the other aspects of it but so what given the poor reception.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast