1.    #1  
    Hey gang...I currently own a treo 600 and have a 650 on order, after ordering it is when i started digging more into forums and discussions of it only to find that it seems most everyone is having problems with being heard on the other end while calling from a t650 without any headsets. Another words if you call me from a t650 i care barely hear you and the voice is choppy? is this true and do you think they will have a firmware fix or hardware fix? either way will we be covered? are palm and sprint aware of this? Any other downsides or isses I should know about? please help...thanks gang...also whats up with the memory thing people keep complaining about???
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I've had mine for about a week and what I found is that I had to change the way I held the phone. I am a "right-ear talker" and when I held the phone I would either cover the microphone with my hand or create a little 'cup' around it.

Since I noticed that I hold it in my left hand or in my fingertips and have not had any comments on sound quality (i.e. "what?", "Who?")
    The only realy problem that is consistent with the sound, is in noisy environments, the noise cancellation is too strong, so it will cut out all together, and the other person won't be able to hear you. For the most part, in normal conversation, in a car, office, etc, you'll be fine. Trying to talk at a club or concert might cause problems. Howeever there is an unofficial sound quality patch that is available, so keep that in mind.
    I know Shadowmite has a patch out there to improve the sound but does anyone know if and when PalmOne plans to release the official verison of the patch?
    I had no problems with sound quality on my end and refused to believe that there was a problem. I started asking people how the sound quality was on their end and EVERYONE said that I sounded like I was talking at the end of a tunnel or I was calling from the other side of the world.

I was apprehensive about messing with the rom of the T650 and flashing a rom update was not how I wanted to kill my $600 phone. I finally applied the shadowmite/faisal sound patch and this is the response I got from my father:

"Wow, are you using the same phone, you sound great!"

Enough said.
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
    I applied the sound patch, and everyone still says i "cut out" all the time. If you ignore the phone part of the treo, its a really great device--the hi-res screen is incredible for web browsing--Ive been on the web for hours and hours without any battery drain. Its an amazing machine (if you dont use it for calling people (or if you just use it to listen to people talk) you'll be fine).
    Quote Originally Posted by kyorandy
    I applied the sound patch, and everyone still says i "cut out" all the time. If you ignore the phone part of the treo, its a really great device--the hi-res screen is incredible for web browsing--Ive been on the web for hours and hours without any battery drain. Its an amazing machine (if you dont use it for calling people (or if you just use it to listen to people talk) you'll be fine).
    Gee, this is weird. You seem to be the only one that has not had a good response to the sound quality patch.

Are you sure you did it right? Did you hard reset after the rom flash?
    The instructions for rom updating went soooo smooth for me--but i sure am tempted to do it again. I cant believe I'm the only one it didnt work for, but if that IS the case, i must have done something wrong--I've never loved a device so much that didnt perform its primary function well.
    kyorandy:

If I were you, I would go to shadowmite.com, pick the custom rom that's right for you and follow shadow's instructions to the T.

Maybe repeating the process will work for you?
    Global Posts
    1,192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pda_jedi
    Gee, this is weird. You seem to be the only one that has not had a good response to the sound quality patch.

Are you sure you did it right? Did you hard reset after the rom flash?
    I've actually read threads where some users are saying they don't have improvement after the patch. I haven't installed it yet either. I was just on the phone with my husband in my quiet house.. he is working and had a lot of background noise. He said to me "Your phone sucks!", "I can't hear you, you're choppy!" So I said, "cover the mic on your phone." He did, and low and behold, he could hear me. I don't think the problem is in our mic, it's in the lame *** full duplex speaker/mic in the phone. I've done this when people say they can't hear me, and it fixes the problem everytime. I am reluctant to install the patch (because I'm a moron and don't know how to get the files to my SD card without a reader or where to put them, or how to do any of the damn upgrade) so I guess I'm stuck asking my call recipients to cover their mic.

Bek
    Becky:

A second reason to install the shadowmite roms is to be able to use custom rom compilations. I installed shadowmite's rom #3, which has Versamail, deletes Realplayer, Get BC, Download, Quicktour, and adds VoiceMemo, NotePad, BtManager DUN patch, and Faisal/Shadowmite Sound Quality Patch.

An overall improvement...sound quality and much more.
    I dont have any sound problems so far that I know of, but the #3 ROM which is the one I would want to install, gets rid of Realplayer and I really like it, so I dont want it to be gone... I'm not brave enough yet to try the custom thing and it is still at the "proceed with caution" stage that means I am SOL if it fries my new toy...

I am aching to get rid of Business Connect and the Quick Tour though... If only it had Realplayer...

Sprint PCS user since 1999

-=-=-
    Palm IIIC -> Palm M100 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 755P
    Do I count as a Palm addict if I still have my original Palm IIIC?
    -=-=-
    Praise is what I do...
    I went to Shadowmite's web page and I'm just curious, what's the difference between the #3 and #5 patches? The chart doesn't specify.
    Penjaxn, if you look to the far right on shadowmites page, you will see that ROM #3 includes Versamail which #5 does not.

I too installed the patch #3 I believe and I get no more complaints what-so-ever, it worked very well for me and was very easy to do (with my card reader, that is.)
    Can an intelligence create another intelligence more intelligent than itself? Are we more intelligent than the evolutionary process that created us? In turn, will the intelligence that we are creating come to exceed that of its creator?

[ Treo 650 on Sprint ]
    Quote Originally Posted by techprincesse
    I dont have any sound problems so far that I know of, but the #3 ROM which is the one I would want to install, gets rid of Realplayer and I really like it, so I dont want it to be gone... I'm not brave enough yet to try the custom thing and it is still at the "proceed with caution" stage that means I am SOL if it fries my new toy...

I am aching to get rid of Business Connect and the Quick Tour though... If only it had Realplayer...
    You and I are in the same boat, princesse... I am scared to death, but! I have downloaded trials of "Card ExportII" which turns your Treo into an SD card reader (simplistically speaking) and I got "Card Backup" to restore JUST in case things dont come back how I need after the hard reset. Otherwise, the way I understand it, you look at the info on the SD card and you will have a Palm folder. (This is where I was confused, do you find the Palm folder on the SD card? or the COMPUTER you sync it with? I didn't know where to find this folder that you rename) You rename that folder "name this folder back to Palm" or something - then you move the PALM and ROM folders from Shadowmites patch ONTO the SD card. You then follow the other very specific directions, and hard reset the unit - and bada bing! *Supposedly* LOL... I was confused about where to find the Palm folder to rename, etc.. but I think I have this figured out and I'm going to try it this afternoon I *think*.. lol
    Someone PLEASE correct me if I have this wrong!
    Bek
    Add me to the list that have applied Shadowmite's patch with no change in sound quality on the other end.

I seriously hope palm can get this resolved soon, otherwise this thing is sooo awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by yoskater
    Penjaxn, if you look to the far right on shadowmites page, you will see that ROM #3 includes Versamail which #5 does not.

I too installed the patch #3 I believe and I get no more complaints what-so-ever, it worked very well for me and was very easy to do (with my card reader, that is.)
    Yoskater, Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't even see that! I feel like a total goober now :-D
    hey techprincesse,

If you really like realplayer that much, then you can flash shadowmite's ROM #3 and then install realplayer into RAM.

You can get realplayer for free from the realnetworks website:

http://www.realnetworks.com/industri...s/player/palm/
    Like many others here, I too was VERY reluctant to install a 3rd party ROM. However, after my wife said "get a different cell phone or don't call me on it anymore", I uploaded the patch. I'm a total rookie at this stuff and, in short, it was easy and it works. My wife says that it is not a 100% improvement, but that it is much better.

For what it is worth, prior to uploading the new ROM, I performed similar tests as those decribed by others to verify that the problem is in fact caused by background noise on EITHER end of the call. For example, when parked near freeway road noise, I can simply get in and out of my car while talking and the listener on the other end says the voice quality changes dramatically. (Good when in the car, chopped when outside near the road noise.) I repeated this test after the ROM update and was told that, yes, there continues to be a sound quality change, but it is MUCH better now.
    Quote Originally Posted by pda_jedi
    hey techprincesse,

If you really like realplayer that much, then you can flash shadowmite's ROM #3 and then install realplayer into RAM.

You can get realplayer for free from the realnetworks website:

http://www.realnetworks.com/industri...s/player/palm/
    Well, I must stand corrected. I have tried to download Realplayer from their site and am unable to do so, although it does ask you for an email address and to register for their music store (with a credit card). And, I wasn't about to give them my credit card number in order to download Realplayer.

Thus, I installed it to RAM from the original rom/firmware. Although, it will probably get deleted very shortly.

Just wanted to see if it was recoverable. And it is.