Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Hello all, I'm wanting to purchase a 650 soon, but A couple of friends have pursuaded me not to because of several issues. 1 being that it takes forever to make a call and 2 because of constant numerous crashes. I really want to look past this and hope that maybe a fix for all these problems + various others that I'm reading about coming VERY soon. Is it really worth it to grab a treo 650 right now? I used to own a treo 600 (yes i miss it very much) and it was nice. This was coming from a pocket pc based G1000. Palm just was really fresh, slick, quicker & simpler...although I still love pocket pc, there just really isn't a phone that's nice based on that platform. Some might say the audiovox ppc6600 etc...but I'm a cosmetically driven person along with feature laden. That thing just looks kinda fugly..anyhow that's besides the point. Moral of the story is...I wanna get a treo 650, please keep me convinced by providing any fixes, remedies, etc for any of these issues. treo 650 looks so nice too!
    buy one at the Sprint store, use it for 2 weeks to get some first-hand experience. And if you don't like it, return it and get a full refund.
    I did that trial. It ended up a keeper.
    You could always wait for Cingular to release it.

Release date? Depends on whom you ask.
    I had AT&T - was one of the few people in America truly happy with them. But for the T650, I tried Sprint (kept both for a while). I thought the memory "problem" would be an issue for me. Turned out not to be (and the 128MB free card from PalmOne was enough if it ever becomes an issue). I don't love that the phone takes a few seconds to begin dialing, and a few other nits.

But let me tell you - this phone is revolutionary for me. I love it and that's before any patches to fix some of the little nits. Nothing is perfect, but this phone/camera/web browser/voice recorder/scheduler/speakerphone/note-taker/newspaper (via Web & AvantGo) is so fantastic as it is. If I didn't think they would ever fix any of the little issues that I have with it - I'd still spend the money (and more) today.

Don't do the Sprint Trial unless you're prepared to keep this thing.

Good luck!
    The 650 takes time to tame. And, once in a while, it takes a while to dial a number.

The crashes are fixable, usually old, outdated software. Dial ##377 to find out WHY it is crashing, and you will have an easier time solving problems. Also, only load a few programs at a time, to keep track of issues. It'll take some work, but it will be running better than your 600 in NO time.
    Quote Originally Posted by dialekt
    Hello all, I'm wanting to purchase a 650 soon....I wanna get a treo 650 .... treo 650 looks so nice too!
    Dial, those are my sentiments exactly! Ask my wife - she wants to have me committed already for obsessing over this for the past three months. I've been holding out for VZW, but this weekend I'm taking the plunge into PCS world. I have no faith in Verizon's T650 release, I know the coverage here in NYC is just as good with Sprint, and the web service on Sprint ($15 unlimited vs. $50 for VZW) is cheaper. And let's not forget about disabled BT issue. Even if Verizon did have a 650, it's actually worth it for me to buy out of my VZW contract- acquiring the phone itself would be cheaper along with the monthly charges.

Look, I'm preparing for disapointment too. I've wasted more $$$ on stupider things, and I really doubt that the thing will turn into a complete lump of coal. Worst thing that happens is I return it within 2 weeks and get something else... and drool over the next new item before it comes out (which we all do anyway). The longer we wait, the less time we'll have with the new toy before it become obsolete and the novelty goes right out the window along with our $$$.

One of the best parts of this forum is that I know I am not alone in my gadget obsession. Just 2 1/2 days until 650 for me!
    and it all started with a SHARP Wizard
    Do your friends have a 650? If not, then I would take the advice from here rather than theirs since they are simply repeating complaints from here.

The 650 isn't perfect, but I think it's better than the 600, which after trying most of the competition was the best previously. If you don't fill up the memory and load lots of apps, crashes are pretty rare.

Mine would occassionally spontaneously reset now and then (but only seemed to do it when I wasn't using it fortunately). I had been trying verichat, but could never get the MSN login to work. I ended up removing the program and haven't had a single reset since.

Get one, load up your contacts and calendar from scratch, then load up apps one at time to reduce the chance of conflicts. Overall, I think you will be happy. The hires screen and convience of bluetooth along with the nice little tweaks to the built-in apps are worth it to me.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    I also did the try deal then I was gonna go for the ppc but once I started using this phone it just felt right for me. The phone fits a person on the go. it can be just a phone and in that mode it funtions well. itis a pda and in that mode it funtions well.
    the t650 has great forum support. great screen, great buttons, its bright and ligh, battery holds up very well an its replacable. And the keyboard I love it..
    As far as the problems well they don't bug me much I think it s overblown. and wouldn't even be an issue unless you are told about it. Take the 'P' key complaints. I still don't undestand why a slightly "softer" key is an issue. But it is for some. lastly the t650 need user who what's to use it, tey things remove and change. tjat the Treo world where else do you have uswrs creating and building apps ans features. this make the Treo live it make the phone fun and it keeps this forum alivewith activity.
    but I still may get a ppc some day
    Dude, go for it. you have nothing to lose but your..er uh...
    RAm.
    Quote Originally Posted by VueDoc
    Look, I'm preparing for disapointment too. I've wasted more $$$ on stupider things, and I really doubt that the thing will turn into a complete lump of coal. Worst thing that happens is I return it within 2 weeks and get something else... and drool over the next new item before it comes out (which we all do anyway). The longer we wait, the less time we'll have with the new toy before it become obsolete and the novelty goes right out the window along with our $$$.

I doubt you will be disappointed Vue. Having come throught a long line of smartphones, the 650 is definitely head and shoulders above anything else, despite its many small shortcomings. I now have three 1 gig cards filled with mp3s, coverted seinfeld episodes, movies, programs, etc. And you are definitely in the right place with this forum. It will allow you to be a uberphone uberuser!!

I LOVE MY TREO 650!!!!!

btw, you a fellow radiologist by any chance?? I am looking to the day when I get a phone call, get out my treo 1250, page through a CT or U/S, call report, all while I am eating dinner at a restaurant. We are getting close!!

Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    I had real concerns about the 650, before I got it. Now it's definitely a keeper. The screen's great, the keyboard is a significant improvement over the 600. Overall, I'm very happy with it. I think some of the user interface changes Palm made are a step backwards, but not enough to be a major problem.

The delay in dialing is annoying, but after a day or two you get used to it. I think that problems been overstated, btw. It doesn't "take forever to call." The delay is a couple of seconds, at worst.

I have had, literally, zero crashes on my 650 that were not associated with installing an older, incomptable app. And they went away as soon as I removed the offending app. The key is NOT to restore from your old Palm device. Start with a clean install. First, export you PIM data from your existing Palm desktop. Then uninstall your old Palm desktop, and rename the backup directory to something other than "backup."

Now install the new Palm desktop, import your PIM data, and hotsync. Now you have a nice, clean Treo 650, with all your old PIM data but no incompatable apps. Now start installing your apps, one at a time. Test each to make sure it works okay before installing the next one. Takes a couple of hours, but you'll be rewarded with a very reliable Treo.

Probably the biggest hassle, if you use a lot of apps, is that you will need a memory card and either ZLauncher or PowerRun to load those apps to the card. But then, I had to do that on my 600, too.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Good point, about Z launcher, Meyer. My recommendation would be to go ahead and install Z launcher FIRST, learn how to use it. Then use it as you load each program individually to move the program to the card and see how it runs from the card. That way, you can keep lots of RAM open from the start instead of filling your RAM to the brim, and then coming back later, after the fact, and trying to use Z launcher to open up some RAM ( this, the voice of experiene, in this regard, I might add)
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    I just jumped in; I was thinking about the blackberry (nextel) and the treo 600/650; between reading about it at engadget and engadget pointing me here to treocentral I ordered mine (treo 650). As far as the service (when you actually use the treo as a cell phone) the service is fantastic. The sound Qual issue bothers me alot (it's great sometimes and sometimes it sucks bigtime); so does the audio quality on videocam recordings. As a palm device; it doesn't dissapoint; hotsync; calendar, contacts, realplayer (I actually use it to play mp3's) versamail (I love it but then again I haven't tried anything else) it's as good as palm gets. Kinoma producer and kinoma player 3.0 ex are awesome! Scarface is saved on the SD card to watch (the entire movie) along with some mp3's of my fav songs.
    Websurfing is cool but it's a lil slow. I want a wi-fi solution from palm already. Bluetooth sucks btw; I've only tried palms jabra bt250; it has discouraged me from bluetooh headsets.
    All around; I wouldnt' trade this phone for anything that's currently out there right now; there just isn't any comparison when it comes to service/phone features/data plans. The only other competition is it's predecessor IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by davetheone
    Websurfing is cool but it's a lil slow. I want a wi-fi solution from palm already.
    Once Java is available for the 650, try Reqwireless Webviewer. Not as fast as WiFi perhaps, but significantly faster than Blazer. Some people swear by Xinio (sp?) as a browser, too, but I haven't tried it.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by dialekt
    ...I wanna get a treo 650, please keep me convinced by providing any fixes, remedies, etc for any of these issues. treo 650 looks so nice too!
    If you're still not convinced by now I don't know what will convince you.

3 weeks on TreoCentral have made me get the illusion I'm a full fledged geek who is in love with his T650.

So, stick around
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowboxer

btw, you a fellow radiologist by any chance?? I am looking to the day when I get a phone call, get out my treo 1250, page through a CT or U/S, call report, all while I am eating dinner at a restaurant. We are getting close!!

Cardiologist, actually. The Vue comes from Bellevue hospital where I did my training. It's still my AOL handle, left over from my single days when I needed a catchy name to attract girls in the Jewish Singles chatrooms.

I'm not far from storing echocardiogram motion images on a PDA, I just need an extra-large memory card. Soon, we'll be able to work continuously. Imagine: Virtual Consultation, where an in-hospital resident holds a Treo up to a patient while from home (or the golf course), the attending physician examines and asks the patient questions, and even auscultates the heart and lungs through a BT electronic stethoscope option!
    and it all started with a SHARP Wizard
    Quote Originally Posted by b4pro
    The 650 takes time to tame. And, once in a while, it takes a while to dial a number.

The crashes are fixable, usually old, outdated software. Dial ##377 to find out WHY it is crashing, and you will have an easier time solving problems. Also, only load a few programs at a time, to keep track of issues. It'll take some work, but it will be running better than your 600 in NO time.
    that's a neat trick.. hadn't seen that debug info before.. then again..

"Last crash on 12/02/04"

it's been a while since I crashed my treo.. i think that one was verichat beta related. (unknown application tho)
    This is a reply to myself

I returned my Sprint T650, but I'm still a TreoLander coz I have other Palm devices for which this forum is the best.

Besides, I now will join the GSM gripers and moan and groan about when Cingular will introduce it.

Isn't life grand?
    Well ... as a long and die hard Palm user for many years now ... I finally took the step and got a Treo 650. Just perusing the forum here, and thought I would chime in.

Oddly enough, about 1 month before I decided on moving over to the SmartPhone world (there had never been enough features in a PDA phone for me to warrant making the jump yet, as this is the 1st SmartPhone that I feel has enough juice to leave the standalone PDA at home ... most of the times, anywho), I snagged a Treo 600 on eBay ... I was just about to start using the Treo 600 for everyday usage, then the Treo 650 came out. With me having a Tapwave Zodiac2 ... it was a no brainer to pull the trigger on the 650.

Starting to get excited as I'm perusing some of the posts here and updating some new apps. And YES ... follow other peoples suggestions if you are migrating from a previous Palm device (do a fresh install). I tried doing a Backup Restore and there were some older apps that work fine on my Zodiac2 but caused the Treo 650 to puke ... ended up doing a hard reset (no biggie as it was a fresh install).