1.    #1  
    OK, I'm continuing my quest to delete unnecessary files and have run into a series of files called "Nexter". Also "Nexter-enUS", "Nexter_SPCS", and "Nexter_SPCS_enUS". What are these? Can I delete them?
    they are files used by the Messaging application
    Quote Originally Posted by acousticbiker
    OK, I'm continuing my quest to delete unnecessary files and have run into a series of files called "Nexter". Also "Nexter-enUS", "Nexter_SPCS", and "Nexter_SPCS_enUS". What are these? Can I delete them?
    dude you are obsessed.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    are they neccessary
    What you could do is what I recently did....
    1) Take note of ALL applications that you know works and are on your palm's internal memory (remember to write down reg keys, etc if you dont keep another record of them),
    2) Do a hard reset and wipe alll data off the palm (it's a very cleansing experience..)
    3) Install something like Uninstall Manager
    4) Re-install the applications you want.

Going forward Uninstall manager (or whatever uninstall program you uses) will keep track off all these little pesky files that 3rd party apps adds to the memory and get rid of them when deleting the main application.

All in all it took me maybe 2 hours to get back to what I consider to be a quite stable platform (a week now and not a single reset/freeze and I use this phone several hours a day).
    Yes, just do a hard reset and start fresh on your Treo. The first app you should install in Unistall Manager and then be done with it and never worry about excess junk again on your Treo...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    If I do a hard reset, then restore from a backupman file, will it restore any unnecesary files, or just the apps I have on it with the files they need?
    Quote Originally Posted by j5350
    If I do a hard reset, then restore from a backupman file, will it restore any unnecesary files, or just the apps I have on it with the files they need?

It will restore everything. If you want to do this, then you'll have to approach like your starting from scratch. You will have to hard reset and just sync your PIM (contacts etc) via the uprade guide/method mentioned on palmone's site. Then the first app you install is uninstall manager. You will then have to manually install all your other apps. A backup restore won't work b/c Uninstall manager needs to record every app install to register the files installed etc (e.g, it can only manage app installations/files AFTER you initially install the manger. If you don't want to do this which can be very cumbersome, then get Cleanup which is meant for files/apps previously installed...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    But if you do it this way you lose all your saved SMS's right? Any way to get those back? Any way to get back your contacts without doing it by way of hotsync? I've never been able to get hotsync to work right and I don't want to lose all my contact info. Also, I don't want to lose all my bookmarks in Blazer, etc.
    Last edited by TheTreoGuy; 04/12/2005 at 04:48 PM.
    Well, it isn't perfect and it makes me crazy, but I still do love my Treo!
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    Quote Originally Posted by treo600guy
    ...Also, I don't want to lose all my bookmarks in Blazer, etc.
    There is a file called Blazer Bookmarks you can save and copy over to get your bookmarks back.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    I would like to do this as well, as I didnt install UM straight away previously. Are there any directories that I should delete on my memory card? I only have Dir Assist and ZAP installed there? However ZLauncher has a directory there.

-E44