Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    airjoe, try the K-lite CODEC pack:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...Codec_Pack.htm

You can also try the latest XVID 1.1.0 Beta 1 which supposedly improves performance by 12 - 25%:

http://www.free-codecs.com/Koepi_XviD_download.htm
    Thanks guys... I got rid of VHQ & 2-pass, went with the settings mentioned, and wasn't bad. Resynched, and it's "ok" on the Treo - can't tell for sure if there's a sync problem. I'll play more with it, but the file size is manageable (~170mb). I guess the "keep it simple" rule comes in here...

One question sledgie: Can you correlate video bitrate to kbps? I see only the scale from 0-20; What do you recommend? Thanks...

Edit: your post beat mine - I'll check out the downloads. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airjoe
    One question sledgie: Can you correlate video bitrate to kbps? I see only the scale from 0-20; What do you recommend? Thanks...

Edit: your post beat mine - I'll check out the downloads. Thanks.
    PocketDivxEncoder is running right now, but I'm almost positive if you hover your mouse pointer over the quality selector, the bitrate pops up.
    Quote Originally Posted by aldamon
    PocketDivxEncoder is running right now, but I'm almost positive if you hover your mouse pointer over the quality selector, the bitrate pops up.
    You're correct.
    I just want to thank aldamon,sledgie, and treocentral community for all their helpful input. I was finally able to play movies on my 650 w/o any Video/Voice Sync issues. You guys really made it really easy for novices that are entering this arena with your helpful instructions. Also props to PocketDivxEncoder for making this software free and soo easy to use!!!!

I also tried Pocket DVD which i must say was a pain in the (_!_) to use. I was constantly having issues ripping my DVDs and tons and tons of problems playing my movie file on mmplayer.

This is by far the easiest and fastest way to rip movies onto your Treo.

Cheeers!!!
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    i also found a bug that may be causing some issues.... if anybody uses fast user switching/login in win xp and after a 10min or so idle it times out and goes to login screen for users, this could be causing an enlarged file size, although i'm not sure how. it seems that when it goes back to the login screen (while running in the background) i got an enlarged ~900 mb file size while encoding schindler's list. after it encoded in the background, it wrote an enlarged file, gave me the completed task screen but, still showed the encoding screen and i couldnt quit out unless i ended the task. it still writes in screensaver mode but... when logging out for some reason it does not. btw, it does show 1 program running in background from the login screen
    Quote Originally Posted by pdpboy
    I just want to thank aldamon,sledgie, and treocentral community for all their helpful input. I was finally able to play movies on my 650 w/o any Video/Voice Sync issues. You guys really made it really easy for novices that are entering this arena with your helpful instructions. Also props to PocketDivxEncoder for making this software free and soo easy to use!!!!

Cheeers!!!
    Yeah, me too -- gonna give this a try later.. Now I know where to start.
    I tried PocketDvxRecorder but maybe the settings are the problem.

I couldn't get Kinoma to play the output file.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    kinoma will only play its OWN proprietary ormat, meaning you must encode a film with kinoma's encoder and play the film only on kinoma's player, i.e. a cd cannot be played on a record/vinyl player, and vice versa. most ppl here use mmplayer on the treo to play movies back
    Okay, so I use PocketDivXEncoder to shrink the AVI's and MMPlayer to play them...but what settings work with PocketDivXEncoder?

My first stab said the size and bitrate were too big....I tried using the Tungsten format and didn't play with the bitrate. Then I tried the Pocket PC size and 15 for the bitrate and still no luck...
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    MVT, the settings in PocketDivxEncoder have been discussed at length in this thread. Go back a page or two and check out the posts by sledgie and myself for suggestions. Experiment and let us know how it goes. You'll find that the settings that make the most difference to file size are sound bitrate (kbps) and video bitrate (video quality).
    Just making sure it was all experimental at this point!
    Quote Originally Posted by aldamon
    MVT, the settings in PocketDivxEncoder have been discussed at length in this thread. Go back a page or two and check out the posts by sledgie and myself for suggestions. Experiment and let us know how it goes. You'll find that the settings that make the most difference to file size are sound bitrate (kbps) and video bitrate (video quality).
    Did you mean the dimensions and the bitrate? I have the sound bitrate at the lowest level. I'm playing more with the screen dimensions (because it keep saying my screen dimensions are too big...now trying 260x200) and the video bitrate (now trying level 2).
    So is the concensus, to use:
    pocketdivxencoder (to encode DVD movies)-will it also turn .avi files into watchable video on treo (for my seinfeld collection)?

And then is everyone in agreement the MMPlayer is the best player for video on 650?
    Treo 650 user since 1/05
    Favorite app. = Pocket Tunes (Streaming audio through Shoutcast.com ).
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    hokey,
    bother pocketdivx and pocketdvd3 both will turn any video file into watchable movies on your treo...it doesn't have to be a dvd.... pocketdvd3 added this recently in their new version and i believe pocketdivx has had it from the start. as for mmplayer on treo, you are basically limited to it because that is the only PROGRAM on palmos that allows video playback of non proprietary. kinoma also plays video but only videos that are in kinoma's format. i always found kinoma to be longer encoding, but i have not tried the recent release; perhaps encoding time has speeded up. so my final answer is mmplayer is the only movie player on treo that will play avi mpeg divx xvid etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledgie
    hokey,
    bother pocketdivx and pocketdvd3 both will turn any video file into watchable movies on your treo...it doesn't have to be a dvd.... pocketdvd3 added this recently in their new version and i believe pocketdivx has had it from the start. as for mmplayer on treo, you are basically limited to it because that is the only PROGRAM on palmos that allows video playback of non proprietary. kinoma also plays video but only videos that are in kinoma's format. i always found kinoma to be longer encoding, but i have not tried the recent release; perhaps encoding time has speeded up. so my final answer is mmplayer is the only movie player on treo that will play avi mpeg divx xvid etc.
    Sledgie, thanks! I am late to the party, but I am trying to learn with everyone's help!
    Treo 650 user since 1/05
    Favorite app. = Pocket Tunes (Streaming audio through Shoutcast.com ).
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MVT
    Did you mean the dimensions and the bitrate? I have the sound bitrate at the lowest level. I'm playing more with the screen dimensions (because it keep saying my screen dimensions are too big...now trying 260x200) and the video bitrate (now trying level 2).
    No, resolution is kind of moot on the 650. The files should always be 320 by "x" to take advantage of the beautiful screen, so video and audio bitrate will have the biggest impact on file size. If the warnings are popping up, just go into Settings and turn off all of the Performance Warnings in MMPlayer. I use 320 x 180 because that's true 16x9 playback. I don't care for cropping. Video quality of 2 is going to be really sketchy at 320 by "x" but 4 - 6 should be fine. Also, 96 kbps is the lowest acceptable audio quality IMO but I'm a snob and my 1GB SD Card has a lot of space. I wish we could encode audio in OGG. That would save a ton of space.
    Last edited by aldamon; 02/04/2005 at 12:00 PM.
    Thx for saying moot and not mute -- It's incredible how many people cannot grasp that word.
    Mute would have applied too since sometimes I tinker with the sound settings and nothing comes through.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sledgie
    i've been using pocketdivx a lot lately and ......., if u make it 24 or 25 fps, you might get out of sync in mmplayer. (audio/video). i have found if you keep original fps by not changing it, it works better.
    Thanks for the tip. Instead of changing the FPS to 24, I left it unchecked during compression. As usual, I also ran the file through the Correct Audio/Video Synchronization utility. My movies are now synched, even if I fast forward. The file is smaller too by 10%. Good stuff.
    Last edited by aldamon; 02/04/2005 at 10:05 PM.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast