Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I still usually have to use MMplayer to adjust audio sync. but it works. I use 1 pass, 200-300kbs(video) divx portable 320x240, Lame MP3 44khz 96kbits mono. I have now tryed PocketDivx and am evaluating the quality of both.
    Quote Originally Posted by investwisely
    I still usually have to use MMplayer to adjust audio sync. but it works. I use 1 pass, 200-300kbs(video) divx portable 320x240, Lame MP3 44khz 96kbits mono. I have now tryed PocketDivx and am evaluating the quality of both.
    Every time I try that and other "non-standard" formats in Virtualdub, when I try to save I get the error "Error initalizing audio stream compression. The requested conversion is not possible."

Any ideas why?
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Question from the dense:

I decrypted a DVD and used PocketDiVX to make an avi for playing on MMPlayer. Came out ok, but the file is large sicne the particular DVD had 45mins of "extras" at the end...

After seeing this thread, I checked out DVDShrink too. I used DVDShrink to encode a file to run through PocketDiVX, but it stops anywhere from 4-45% complete every time. I tried the settings suggested by aldamon, but no luck.

Am I missing a step with using DVDShrink to make a VOB with only the parts of the DVD I need, then have PocketDiVX create the avi? It doesn't need to run back through the decrypter before PocketDiVX, does it?

Anybody have any easy instructions for the combo? Thx.
    I use DVD Decrypter and use the option "Select Main Movie Files + IFOs"
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airjoe

Am I missing a step with using DVDShrink to make a VOB with only the parts of the DVD I need, then have PocketDiVX create the avi? It doesn't need to run back through the decrypter before PocketDiVX, does it?

Anybody have any easy instructions for the combo? Thx.
    Yeah, you have to use Re-author Mode in DVD Shrink so you can strip out everything you don't want from the DVD.

1.) Open DVD Shrink 3.2.
    2.) Insert the DVD into the DVD drive.
    3.) Double-click your DVD drive to load the DVD.
    4.) Click Re-author.
    5.) Drag the file Title 1 under Main Movie to the left under DVD Structure.
    6.) Click the Compression Settings tab.
    7.) Under Video, select No Compression.
    8.) Under Audio and Subpicture, uncheck the unnecessary Audio and Subpicture streams. I like to keep AC3 5.1-ch English checked so the source file has the best audio possible before being downconverted to stereo.
    9.) Click Backup!.
    10.) Under Target Device, choose where you want the files to go.
    11.) Click OK to start the process.
    12.) Run the resulting VOB file through PocketDivxEncoder using my suggested settings.
    I received this error also but only when I tried multiple pass I believe. If you try single pass it should work.
    This was using virtualdub.
    Quote Originally Posted by aldamon
    Yeah, you have to use Re-author Mode in DVD Shrink so you can strip out everything you don't want from the DVD.

1.) Open DVD Shrink 3.2.
    2.) Insert the DVD into the DVD drive.
    3.) Double-click your DVD drive to load the DVD.
    4.) Click Re-author.
    5.) Drag the file Title 1 under Main Movie to the left under DVD Structure.
    6.) Click the Compression Settings tab.
    7.) Under Video, select No Compression.
    8.) Under Audio and Subpicture, uncheck the unnecessary Audio and Subpicture streams. I like to keep AC3 5.1-ch English checked so the source file has the best audio possible before being downconverted to stereo.
    9.) Click Backup!.
    10.) Under Target Device, choose where you want the files to go.
    11.) Click OK to start the process.
    12.) Run the resulting VOB file through PocketDivxEncoder using my suggested settings.
    Actually, DVDShrink was the part I didn't have a problem with, and was able to find instructions for also...

It's getting PocketDivx to work right which is killing me. I was able to get it to run double pass (but at 32khz), but the file's ~600mb (!). Single pass in mono makes a 1.5hr movie ~200mb, but the sound is off, even after running back through the resynch operation in PocketDivx...
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Actually, DVDShrink was the part I didn't have a problem with, and was able to find instructions for also...

It's getting PocketDivx to work right which is killing me. I was able to get it to run double pass (but at 32khz), but the file's ~600mb (!). Single pass in mono makes a 1.5hr movie ~200mb, but the sound is off, even after running back through the resynch operation in PocketDivx...
    Your results don't seem plausible at all with my suggested settings. Spider-Man 2 is a 241MB file when I'm done and it's a 127-minute movie with level-6 quality and 96-KBps stereo sound. I'm confused when you say your DVD has 45 minutes of "extras" at the end. Those should have been stripped out in DVD Shrink Re-author mode. Something tells me you're still not setting up DVD Shrink or PocketDivxEncoder properly or your codecs are messed up. Your computer might be unstable as well since video encoding is very intensive.

Can you post screen shots of your PocketDivx and DVD Shrink setup screens so I can see how you're configuring them?
    Last edited by aldamon; 01/31/2005 at 08:16 AM.
    Sorry for the confusion - the 45mins of extras was when using DVDDecrytper. DVDShrink is fine...

It's quite possible my computer doesn't have the testicular fortitude... It's a 2.9ghz Pent4, blah blah blah...

I've used your settings, and "lesser" settings. I'll make a screen dump tonight if I can. One questions on b-frames: the popup says that's only for "Betaplayer", so I tried with it selected and not - which should it be?

I have xvid selected & installed(?).

Thanks for your time & input. Sorry for the thread hijack.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    From what I've read, MMplayer likes B-Frames too. I wish these files weren't so damn big or I'd offer to encode it for you and see what my system creates. May I ask what DVD you're trying to convert? Maybe I have it.
    Embarassingly: Finding Nemo...

I can try a different DVD, but I thought this would be a good one to evaluate the screen and even the synchronization...

Perhaps if you're willing, we should take this to PMs and post back any findings/solutions...

ON TOPIC:
    If I can get it to work, DVDShrink offers more flexibility in what's included and is really quick. PocketDivx takes about the same amount of time as PocketDVD and is free. So in all, it would seem to be a winning combo with one extra quick step through DVDShrink - but the two are free. PocketDVD is not without issues for (some) people as it pertains to syncing, etc.

My preference is to make sure I have something which works before I dish out any money (even though admitedly $32 is pocket change compared to the cost of the Treo), and it seems PocketDVD is a gamble for some people (would be my luck).
    Ok, here's my screen dump. Duplicating exactly your settings in P-Divx, it completed this time (seems like a crapshoot if it'll complete or not), but the avi file is 575MB, and it won't show the video when I play it on my PC - I wasn't going to load it to the SD...

Ugh... I just noticed I forgot to select B-Frames for that run. Lovely. I'll try again.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    airjoe,
    i've been using pocketdivx a lot lately and while i am no pro at it, perhaps i can help. A few things; it says from you screen dump that it should be around 230mb, not 500+. i just encoded return of the king (3hrs30+min) but i kept my video bitrate on 20 (360kbps) which bnallooned the size to 560mb for entire film. it obviously didnt need it and could have gone with 256kbps without sacrificing a lot of quality. it could have been under 500mb with settings of 12...but thats still awfully good for over 3 hours. here's what i'd suggest:
    try b frames and deinterlacing. do not select VHQ (very high quality) as this will increase encoding time. also no need for 2 passes, it sounds like its taking too long for you. i tried 2 pass at first but my computer wanted to take 4 hours to encode, i removed vhq and 2nd pass and it did the entire movie in a litle over and hour. also, if u make it 24 or 25 fps, you might get out of sync in mmplayer. (audio/video). i have found if you keep original fps by not changing it, it works better. also for some reason, pocketdivx does not lower the file size with lower fps, only due to video and audio data rate. be advised, if you keep the audio that high (in your picture you have 60%) it may sound horrible on your speakers. i have found +10% to be nice, and i've encoded audio at least at 64kbps. the frequency can be original or lower but dont go below 22050 (i believe this uses more processing cpu power from treo when you change it from 22050 to 48000, i usually leave it at original). make sure you have xvid checked, and click the add this to list button (the button that adds the current vob to the right hand task bar). then check advanced options again and encode now. i set mine to priority highest and it took about 17 minutes for each 45-50minutes of video. i hope this helps.
    oh, also be sure you are using pocketdivx 3.50, as i have had problems with the other version and it is unstable. while it adds ability for subtitles there are still some bugs in it...
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Ok, here's my screen dump. Duplicating exactly your settings in P-Divx, it completed this time (seems like a crapshoot if it'll complete or not), but the avi file is 575MB, and it won't show the video when I play it on my PC - I wasn't going to load it to the SD...

Ugh... I just noticed I forgot to select B-Frames for that run. Lovely. I'll try again.
    airjoe, except for the B-Frames option you noted, your settings look good. I'd suggest trying out "Experimental" version (0.3.51_RC11 - 12.07.2004). That's the version I'm using. Its four months newer than the official version. It might agree with your system better.

Quote Originally Posted by sledgie
    airjoe,
    i've been using pocketdivx a lot lately and while i am no pro at it, perhaps i can help.
    sledgie, how fast is your sytem? My system is an Athlon 64 Clawhammer overclocked to 2.4 GHz. Airjoe, has a 2.9 GHz P4. The performance compromises you've made (turning off VHQ and 2-pass) aren't really necessary for our rigs. I'm going to try your framerate suggestion though. When I fastforward in MMPlayer, the audio goes out of sync and I have to use the OSD setting A/V Sync to correct it. No big deal, but annoying.

EDIT: I tried sledgie's FPS suggestion and it worked! If I leave FPS unchecked and use the Audio/Video sych utility aftewards, the audio stays in synch even if I fastforward.
    Last edited by aldamon; 02/04/2005 at 10:04 PM.
    Interesting stuff...

I re-ran with B-frames selected and the file size was reduced to 487MB - still not the 226 it "says" it should be. Do you guys both get a resulting file size the same as it projects it to be?

I will try the latest version of p-divx, thanks aldamon. I've had random success scrolling in MMplayer, but haven't been successful enough in creating a baseline avi to try to refine it further...

sledgie, it takes roughly 1:45 to encode a 100min movie using 2-pass & aldamon's settings, not too bad. VHQ & 2-pass are mutually exclusive (can't select both), at least in my version. Also, can you explain your settings (like the % & "original") a little better for me - they aren't immediately intuitive to me (perhaps a screen dump?).

Thanks guys!
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Interesting stuff...

I re-ran with B-frames selected and the file size was reduced to 487MB - still not the 226 it "says" it should be. Do you guys both get a resulting file size the same as it projects it to be?
    Yeah. It's usually about 5 - 10% smaller than projected after 2-pass encoding optimizes the file.
    Quote Originally Posted by aldamon
    airjoe, except for the B-Frames option you noted, your settings look good. I'd suggest trying out "Experimental" version (0.3.51_RC11 - 12.07.2004). That's the version I'm using. Its four months newer than the official version. It might agree with your system better.

sledgie, how fast is your sytem? My system is an Athlon 64 Clawhammer overclocked to 2.4 GHz. Airjoe, has a 2.9 GHz P4. The performance compromises you've made (turning off VHQ and 2-pass) aren't really necessary for our rigs. I'm going to try your framerate suggestion though. When I fastforward in MMPlayer, the audio goes out of sync and I have to use the OSD setting A/V Sync to correct it. No big deal, but annoying.
    the expirimental version crashed on my PC (winxp sp2). Standard version works like a charm. Just got hellboy on my SD.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    well a couple things. i use to use mmplayer but now i've switched to ppc os platform but i am familiar with both. i'm using a p4 2.8 ghz and betaplayer for ppc OS (so both os' are capable of b frames). on to the subject of encoding and file size:
    #1, the reason i only use 1 pass is because of the time it takes to encode. with 2 pass and VHQ selected it will take about 40 or so minutes on my system to encode about 45-60 min of video. no 2 pass and no vhq and it comes down to about 17 minutes.
    i agree with you, it looks better with 2 pass and vhq, and 2 pass cuts the file size down a little bit, but due to raising the audio output, i'm not gaining much.
    also i have a larger screen, so i usually use 256-360kbps. if i'm doing widescreen i use 256, if its full screen i do 360. this of course increases file size.
    airjoe, i'm thinking you do not have the correct xvid codecs. i have never had a file size larger than what was approximated. on the pocketdivx site, download the xvid codecs if you havent already. i tried the newer rc11 version of pocket divx but, sometimes with dts and ac3 it would crash. while it is newer and has more options, i dislike wasting time when i find out it encoded 3 hours of video but crashed when trying to extract the audio. examples are Hero and Ong Bak:Thai Warrior (both excellent movies btw, but subtitled).
    i just encoded finding nemo last night, but i raised video kbit to 360 and 64kbps audio. i have found that sometimes if the audio isnt in 32/64/96/128 format, the program crashes. so if anything, i set it at 64 which i believe for me is enjoyable. however, total output was ~240mb. i used b frames and de interlaced and xvid. it really shouldn't take an awfully long time to encode, i think mine took under 40 min. i also set it to highest priority while encoding.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    airjoe, i forgot to answer your question about %. as i am writing this from my handheld i can't really screendump, but perhaps i can explain it.
    under video and audio quality you have settings like brightness and sound. everytime you load a file it gets reset to brightness +6% and sound +60%. i am not sure why. i set sound to be +10-20% because +60% was too much for my speakers and headphones and was uncomfortable.
    as for why i switched os', i am by no means trying to convince anyone to change anything, as i was a supporter of both. but, i wanted a larger screen and i have found betaplayer to be a great video player (very similar to media player classic on xp but more options). i always had a hard time fast forwarding in mmplayer and audio sync problems, unfortunately its the only movie player the palm os has basically (with exception to kinoma but that is its own proprietary format). airjoe, when u select 2 pass encoding it automatically selects VHQ. when u unselect 2 pass, you can still have VHQ selected.
    sledgie
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast