Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by investwisely
    The error I get from Microsoft involves ntdll.dll? I am using Windows XP home with all SP and updates. Anyone else have this problem. I tried CarryDVD briefly and it was ok but I did not like output quality.
    I get this if I try to 'pause' the app before encoding. To get around it I just load the file I need to encode and immediately hit 'Start' on PocketDVD. Will let you know if I figure it out....

However using my workaround I did encode a 45 min 'Fools and Horses' episode. Look pretty good! Will post a screenshot later.
    Click for Free iPod Nano or better. - really works!
    Quote Originally Posted by aznmode
    I've upgraded to this version as well. Recorded Drunken Master which took about 1hr 52min and it plays flawless on my Treo.

Windows XP Pro
    Intervideo WinDVD 4
    Pocket DVD 3.0
    Res 320x240 (77k pixel)
    Movie qaulity (4th marker)
    Audio bitrate 24kb (mono only,near AM Radio quality)
    Sample (22khz)
    Channel (Mono)
    Volume (6th marker)
    Video (20fps)
    Codex (Xivd MPEG-4 Codec)
    Split output every 500MB
    Screen saver disabled

Why do you need WinDVD & PocketDVD both? Don't they serve the same function basically?
    Two completely different apps. One plays DVD's the other encodes them...
    You failed to mention that the app that encodes (or re-encodes) the files/dvds REQUIRES an app that can play DVDs (such as windvd). It then uses the "play app" to display the movies as it RE-encodes it into whatever format/settings you specify. So you essentially playing the movie back and recording it at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blademonkey
    You failed to mention that the app that encodes (or re-encodes) the files/dvds REQUIRES an app that can play DVDs (such as windvd). It then uses the "play app" to display the movies as it RE-encodes it into whatever format/settings you specify. So you essentially playing the movie back and recording it at the same time.
    That's what I thought this version was doing instead of having to save pieces of the movie in cache like the older versions. Does this mean it's faster? Seems like it.
    Well i found it to be faster then regular playback. I have only worked with the trial of the new version, and that was only on an Divx encoded AVI file. I have not converted an actual DVD. But to answer your question, you would have to give me your reference point. Faster than what?

If you mean faster than regular playback, then definitely. for me it's about 3 to 4 times faster.
    If you mean faster then previous versions, I do not know. This is the only version i've used.

I converted an Anime that was about 45 minutes in about 5 to 10 minutes.

so that's about 4 - 5x faster.

PS: dont know if it makes a dif, but I usually minimize the app after it starts and let it run.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blademonkey
    Well i found it to be faster then regular playback. I have only worked with the trial of the new version, and that was only on an Divx encoded AVI file. I have not converted an actual DVD. But to answer your question, you would have to give me your reference point. Faster than what?

If you mean faster than regular playback, then definitely. for me it's about 3 to 4 times faster.
    If you mean faster then previous versions, I do not know. This is the only version i've used.

I converted an Anime that was about 45 minutes in about 5 to 10 minutes.

so that's about 4 - 5x faster.

PS: dont know if it makes a dif, but I usually minimize the app after it starts and let it run.
    I meant to say faster than the previous version. I like this version better for sure though. It's a much stable version. When I recorded Drunken Master, I was also able to record both chinese with english sub-title and english dubbed version. Not only that but I was also surfing and chatting at the same time and did not slow my conversion time down. I'm using a P3 1Ghrtz laptop with 512RAM. I remember on the older version, a movie took me 8 hours to convert.
    Well after running across 2 problems with Poket DVD 3
    1) Error: ntdll.dll problem on stopping encode
    2) Windows crashing on opening file to encode

I finally got the thing to run properly. First of all go here:
    WinDVD Demo
    I believe even when the demo expires you still will be OK because PocketDVD uses the WinDVD encoders which are not limited to 30 days
    Secondly, after making sure you have the latest Xvid\Divx files from
    PocketDVD
    then go to Pocket DVD's options->output settings and make sure the Codec is Xvid. This was my problem because by default PocketDVD had this field empty and so on stopping the encoding the program crashed.

I thought I would pass this info on as it took me a few hours to debug what appears to be a pretty cool Treo tool.
    Last edited by Magohn; 01/29/2005 at 10:34 AM.
    Thank Magohn! Good info. Maybe the Developper can put your comment up as troubleshooting guide on the PQ DVD site (hint hint).
    BTW, for DVD playback you can use Media player Classic (AKA Real Player Alternative). It's free.
    I was geting the same ntdll.dll error using divx encoder. I am going back and reinstalling windows without SP2 to see if it resolves the issue as I would prefer divx encoder to xvid
    I was geting the same ntdll.dll error using divx encoder. I am going back and reinstalling windows without SP2 to see if it resolves the issue as I would prefer divx encoder to xvid
    FYI... I have the same problem with ntdll.dll and I previously moved back to XP Home SP1 due to other issues when SP2 was first released.

Also, doesn't PocketDVD recommend you use Xvid?

N.B. I just noticed that PocketDVD v3 has a build 03...
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_OTR_Fan
    FYI... I have the same problem with ntdll.dll and I previously moved back to XP Home SP1 due to other issues when SP2 was first released.

Also, doesn't PocketDVD recommend you use Xvid?

N.B. I just noticed that PocketDVD v3 has a build 03...
    Hi guys..
    Just a heads up. This ntdll problem was the exact problem I was getting. By installing WinDVD demo and the latest codecs from PocketDVD (see my post above) site everything now works flawlessly. Also, dont forget to select Xvid as your output codec.
    If you have never had a problem with ntdll.dll before chances are a reinstall will not fix anything. Take baby steps when it comes to trusting Windows error messages. I cant tell you the times a seemingly major problem was in fact a very minor fix. HTH
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    hey guys,
    i, too, have considered buying the 3.0 version. my question is twofold: #1 for investwisely: why do you prefer divx over xvid? i thought the xvid codecs were better compression while higher quality (and from what the author says i inferred they were not illegal since it doesn't use decss)? next question is does anybody know if it has dts support? i tried using the free coder (page 2 of this thread) and after almost two hours of coding, the program crashed (and i'm guessing do to dts sound in Hero). i do like the convenience of one click start instead of playing with options in virtual dub, plus now that it supports mpg avi and other formats it doesn't have to be a dvd. does it support conversion from wmv?
    thanks,
    sledgie
    I thought divx gave better quality and less chance of audio being out of sync. I have now perfected virtualdub where I can live without pocketdvd.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    I thought divx gave better quality and less chance of audio being out of sync. I have now perfected virtualdub where I can live without pocketdvd.
    I really see no reason to pay $32 for PocketDVD. The demo of PocketDVD kept producing choppy video for me, so I gave up on it and went with freeware options. I rip the DVD with DVD Shrink in Author mode with zero compression enabled and the extra audio/subtitle options stripped out. DVD Shrink is very fast. Then I run the VOB through PocketDivxEncoder with 44KHz/96KBps/stereo sound, 320 x 180 (for proper 16x9 viewing), level 6 video quality, FPS unchecked, XVID, 2-pass, and B-frames enabled in the advanced options. I also take the additional minute to run the finished file through PocketDivxEncoder's "Correct Audio/Video syncronization" utility just as a precaution. The whole process is fast and efficient and the movies look and sound great on my Treo 650 in MMPlayer. The 96KBps sound quality balloons the file size, but IMO anything lower ruins the sound over headphones. Also, my computer is water cooled and overclocked, so YMMV on the encoding times. Things move rather briskly for me.
    Last edited by aldamon; 02/04/2005 at 10:03 PM.
    DVDshrink, a most wonderful program. Have you compared VirtualDub to pocketDivx?
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    DVDshrink, a most wonderful program. Have you compared VirtualDub to pocketDivx?
    I haven't tried VirtualDub. PocketDivx works great so I stopped there.
    Investwisely: What settings are you using in VirtualDub? I swear I've tried so many different settings in that program and can't get the audio/video to sync. Everytime I try playing videos on my Treo 650 with MMPlayer that have been encoded using VirtualDub, the audio/video goes out of sync every couple of minutes. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bekktek
    Omg you are all talking above my head...Will I ever get this figured out? I just open Pocket DVD and click START.....is there REALLY more to it than that? When I try to play it on my Treo, I get bitrate errors.. I don't know how to set the bit rate any lower and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to do anything with it once I rip it ?

Bek
    What player are you using to play the files once you get them on your Treo? MMPlayer? I originally had some bit rate problems but once I reencoded using 320x192 as the resolution and I lowered the video I was able to get it to play.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast