1.    #1  
    Ok, I just had my corporate VZW rep confirm that Verizon has no intention of supporting the 650 ever. Sucks for me. So, I'm thinking about changing carriers. I used to have Sprint a couple of years ago and their coverange in the San Diego area was horrible. Had Airtouch before that and they weren't much better. I've never had any problems with Verizon, but I REALLY want a 650.

So is Sprint any better now in the S.D. area if anyone knows? Or the other carriers? I'm mostly concerned about lack of phone coverage, but now data coverage is important to me as well. I talked to the Sprint people and of course they say their coverage is great, but I want user feedback.

Anyway, what ever anyone might have to say, I'd like to hear it.

Thanks.
    I have had Sprint in San Diego since early '97. It works great for me in the areas I go. There are only a couple of drop spots I know of but they are the same for most carriers from what I understand. There is a trial period that you can use to evaulate the service where you use it most but I can say that the service works very well.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    I have had Sprint Service in the San Diego area as well for many years. I think they have some of the best coverage in town. There used to be a small area near the millitary base were you wouldn't have coverage, but they worked that all out. I think Verizon and Sprint and have best coverage in this area. Friends who have Cingular/Att or other GSM seem to have more dropped calls.

I has find Sprint has really good service in LA, SF, Orange County, and Las Vegas. Plus with there unlimited data and pricing plans they are really hard to beat.
    I live in Los Angeles Co., but go to SD every so often. Coverage is about expected, giving the foothills, canyons and valleys we have out here. For the most part fine, but some dead spots where you'd think they would be.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    you can always join the "I'll wait for GSM, who is with me?" thread and gripe about Cingular's late and iffy introduction. All in good clean fun, my fellow TreoLanders

Seroiusly, I think Sprint coverage improved in San Diego, but just in case you begin to see it roaming on VZW you can buy that $5/moth roaming from Sprint.
    Hmm. Don't trust your Verizon Rep. Although I haven't heard anything specific about Verizon adoption, I think it is a little final to say that Verizon would NEVER support the 650. It was pretty clear that the Treo 300 would never be supported by Verizon because it didn't support 800mhz, a pretty important frequency for Verizon (Sprint does not use 800mhz.) The 600 does support 800mhz, and lo and behold, Verizon adopted it. Granted, it was a fashionably late, but it came none the less.

I find it hard to imagine why PalmOne would implement 800mhz if there were NO chance of adoption by Verizon, seeing as Sprint has no use for it.

I think that your rep was just trying to do the hard sell to try and get you to buy a 600, or something else. Verizon may support the 650, it may not, I don't know. One thing I do know is that reps don't know what they are talking about, and are mostly interested in selling you whatever they have in their stock room.
    My $.02:

I've travelled to San Deigo a number of times on business and have had excellent Sprint service there. During a trip to crappy Tijuana, I had service even on the main drag (Ave. Revolucion? I forget...).

I travel all over the US, and have had good service in every city I have been in - and I am a 6 year customer.
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
    I've been to San Diego many times and in every area I've been I get excellent coverage. No complaints here.
    I live in San Diego. I've known a few Sprint friends, and they get a lot of drop calls. I am currently using T-Mobile, and I have the same problem. Everyone with Cingular service (after the buyout of AT&T) has awesome service. FWIW, I'm going to Cingular.
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
    Quote Originally Posted by Druce MacFarlane
    Hmm. Don't trust your Verizon Rep. Although I haven't heard anything specific about Verizon adoption, I think it is a little final to say that Verizon would NEVER support the 650. It was pretty clear that the Treo 300 would never be supported by Verizon because it didn't support 800mhz, a pretty important frequency for Verizon (Sprint does not use 800mhz.) The 600 does support 800mhz, and lo and behold, Verizon adopted it. Granted, it was a fashionably late, but it came none the less.

I find it hard to imagine why PalmOne would implement 800mhz if there were NO chance of adoption by Verizon, seeing as Sprint has no use for it.

I think that your rep was just trying to do the hard sell to try and get you to buy a 600, or something else. Verizon may support the 650, it may not, I don't know. One thing I do know is that reps don't know what they are talking about, and are mostly interested in selling you whatever they have in their stock room.

Is the above post in the wrong thread ? Perhaps a mod can move it to it's home ?