1.    #1  
    Hello,
    Is there a way to use an SDIO card on a laptop? or a desktop? How cool would that be to use it for WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, whatever... Of course the drivers would have to be written but does anyone here think this is avalible?

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Um, why does it hafta be an SDIO? The circuitry required to implement WiFi + bluetooth + GPS + memory, all on a single card would make the card extension bigger than raisen-bran muffin. Add a USB connector and you've got genuine geek muffin.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    Um, why does it hafta be an SDIO? The circuitry required to implement WiFi + bluetooth + GPS + memory, all on a single card would make the card extension bigger than raisen-bran muffin. Add a USB connector and you've got genuine geek muffin.
    Yes, it would first have to be an SDI/O! slot. Just a plain SD slot, or card reader won't work. Then you'd need drivers, as these things tend to be made for PDA's, I'm not sure how easy a driver would be to come by.

USB dongles are plenty cheap though, so its not like you're losing an arm or a leg to ugprade a laptop or desktop.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  4.    #4  
    well not all on one sdio card... I mean are there SDIO slots for laptops? Tablet PCs? You see where I'm going here? Instead of having an PCMCIA slot on those devices you could have a much smaller SDIO slot. Just an idea I had when I was thinking of ways to pimp out my PC case...

Timmay
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    well not all on one sdio card... I mean are there SDIO slots for laptops? Tablet PCs? You see where I'm going here? Instead of having an PCMCIA slot on those devices you could have a much smaller SDIO slot. Just an idea I had when I was thinking of ways to pimp out my PC case...

Timmay
    But the problem is, I know of no laptop that has an SDI/O slot. Most will have a PC Card slot for those duties. SDI/O cards are mainly the domain of PDA's, due to the smallish form factor. You can use a CF peripheral in a laptop, but to my knowledge, there aren't any SDI/O ready notebooks. Nor can you you simply get a 6-in-1 reader and try and go that route.

I don't know of any TabletPC's that offer SDI/O either, but not that familiar with those devices. But even if you found one, you'd still need drivers for the cards.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    You can use a CF peripheral in a laptop, but to my knowledge, there aren't any SDI/O ready notebooks. Nor can you you simply get a 6-in-1 reader and try and go that route.

I don't know of any TabletPC's that offer SDI/O either, but not that familiar with those devices. But even if you found one, you'd still need drivers for the cards.
    That is what I thought... There is no SDIO slot in any PC... wouldn't this be a good thing? instead of a "huge" PCMCIA slot all you have is one or two SDIO slots. I would like to see a sub-miniture laptop or an IBM-ish X series with this. After all, everything is getting smaller.

And you are right about there being no drivers for any SDIO card to work on a PC. But drivers are easier to make for Windows/Linux/OS X then for the Palm OS in my head. I think this has huge potentual and no one is tapping it besides the PDA market.
    The ones I love..

Twittering about