Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This freeware (yes, as in "no charge") gem is the most astonishing piece of palmware I've seen since the origin of the species --- period!!! It may be old hat to you, but I just discovered it today and I'm hyperimpressed.

From my Treo 650 (or 600, presumably), I can use the browser to "acquire" my desktop, control my computer, capture images and documents, send and receive email, visit websites, etc. etc. It's fast, slick, amazing.

This ingenious app will eliminate half the junk in my briefcase including - many times - my laptop and the briefcase itself. All I need now is more battery life.

Had I chosen to, I could have posted this from the Treo.

I don't know about safety/intrusions/encryption/etc. It looks safe, but who knows for sure? For now, this fully backed-up believer is on board.

I have no idea why this isn't a $100 app. Heck, I can't even find someplace to send a donation!
    Last edited by HenryE; 01/19/2005 at 06:36 PM.
    This is the great mystery that everyone on this board has discussed previously. He used to charge almost $70 for the corporate version, which all features are now included in the free version. I don't know what the 'catch' may be, but nothing in life is free......
    Thanks, Henry. I downloaded it and will give it a twirl tomorrow.

For those who are interested you can download it here:

http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilitie...anywhere.shtml
  4.    #4  
    I'd love to read his business plan (one of the things I do for a living). Maybe he's looking for some critical mass - some specific number of people in his server with a certain level of usage - and then the announcement: "To amortize development costs, and to help pay for operational expenses, beginning ________ there will be a $__ per month charge".

Or ??

In any case, it doesn't reduce the excellence of the product.
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryE
    ...It may be old hat to you, but I just discovered it today and I'm hyperimpressed.
    Well I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks! I have had my 600 for over a year now and thought I pretty much had seen and done everything with it. Well this app just blew me away. Thanks for pointing me to this app because it just solved 2 of my biggest Palm pains:

1) I always wanted to get my live 'reef' webcam on the palm but as it is Java enabled it was a no-go in Blazer. With this app i simply observe the reef-tank feed from my Pc's desktop. Very Cool.

2) A HUGE pet peeve of mine was that i have my PC's outlook setup to download the mail from the server. If I forget to turn outlook off before leaving home it means I get no email (copies) on the 600 all day as it is already gone when outlook fetches it. Now I can dial into home and exit Outlook on the PC and all is well...

Kinda looking at the 650 now as the extra resolution sure would be nice. Anyone care to give an actual screenshot of this app on a 650? Thanks.

EDIT: Just accessed eBay via PC. Excellent. Full browsing and FAST over Win-Hand. Another problem bites the dust
    Last edited by Magohn; 01/20/2005 at 09:29 PM.
    Click for Free iPod Nano or better. - really works!
    Actually I could not get the program to run last night, even though I followed the instructions and used the emailed account and password. On the very first launch it told me that I "May have used an invalid password serveral times." and that my account, which it lists correctly, is invalid.

I think it needs more work to be usable by the average Joe.
    Here is two screenshots of the program from my 650. One is zoomed in w/ Win-Hand, and the other is zoomed out w/ Win-Hand. You can choose either viewing choice.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks.Any chance of a 'full desktop' shot? ie with the start button and all your desktop icons. This is where the 600 loses it a little as the tiny icons are hard to distinguish. However, as its my desktop, I pretty much know what is what...
    Man, I agree-- this app is great. I tried to set it up about a year ago and it was a "no-go"-- too much of a hassle through my router (at least with the trial version). Now, just a few hotsync's and I'm viewing my desktop from anywhere. It is so cool-- and the "wow" fasctor from others is just great-- I can imagine that the 650 would make others really flip.
    visor neo:: visor prism:: ++visorphone::: Treo270:: Treo600: Treo 650<br> Treo Picture Blog
    Here are some more screenshots. I did one of 1X, one of 2X, and one of 4X. The center button switches throught he zoom options.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by j5350
    Here are some more screenshots. I did one of 1X, one of 2X, and one of 4X. The center button switches throught he zoom options.
    Thanks. Yes, I can definately see the advantage of the 650 over the 600, especially on the last shot. My 600's display is a little 'foggy' unless I zoom in. Thanks again for the comparison.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Do you guys leave your computers on all day? When I turn off my monitor it won't let me access my desktop? Other than that it does seem to be pretty useful.
    New way to hack into Windows?

Quote Originally Posted by nezzy76
    Do you guys leave your computers on all day? When I turn off my monitor it won't let me access my desktop? Other than that it does seem to be pretty useful.
    I leave my computer on at the office but turn off my monitor as I leave and lock the door behind me; That way I can access my computer when I am at home or elsewhere but don't "wake up" my screen repeatedly since I don't need it on.
    Tom R
    has anyone tried this through a wireless network? On the link you posted for the download someone mentioned that it negatively affected every machine on his network. This would be a great program for me to check on renders from a bar stool or floor instead of babysitting them, but if it is going to mess with other machines it doesn't seem worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by gooDs
    has anyone tried this through a wireless network? On the link you posted for the download someone mentioned that it negatively affected every machine on his network. This would be a great program for me to check on renders from a bar stool or floor instead of babysitting them, but if it is going to mess with other machines it doesn't seem worth it.

I have a wireless home network and this doesn't effect it in any way.
    I use mine on a wireless network and it seems to work fine.
    Works on my wireless network, running both software and hardware firewalls and, providing me with a totally "stealth" and "non-visible" presence. Ben
    i adore winhand, and have asked it to marry me. We are now engaged
    How does Win-Hand compare to Palm VNC? Has anyone compared them head-to-head?
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast