1.    #1  
    no calls while on web? sorry if this has been covered.
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Correct for CDMA(Sprint)....not sure about GSM.
    Yes, confirmed. Sprint's existing network, as i believe all networks right now, are not capable of supporting both voice and data.

I think that some may interrupt data if a voice call comes through, but can't do both.

Sprint will just automatically route the call to voicemail if you are using Vision.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiselmonkey99
    no calls while on web? sorry if this has been covered.
    Yes and no.

You can get a call whilst on the net IF there is NO DATA being transfered. If data is being transfered the call will go to voice mail and you will be alerted the very second that the data transmition is over. The arrow by the battery just mean you have a Vision (data) connection. if they are grey, you have connection to Vision, but no data is tranfering.If the arrows are GREEN, then there is data being tranfered.

I seldom miss a call due to this, unless I am streaming audio or something.

Hope this helps, Matt
    SMS data transmission works while on a call...Vision data does not.
    GSM, you can get calls when you have green arrows. But on rare occasion when data is transferring it will send to Voicemail. Mostly calls will take priority.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    The difference between the CDMA and GSM Treos when it comes to data is the little data icon. On GSM Treos its always green. On CDMA Treos its gray when not sending/receiving and green when it is sending/receiving. Both CDMA and GSM let you get calls while in an active data session, but GSM handles it better. If doing the same things on a CDMA and GSM Treo, on average, more calls will go to voicemail on a CDMA Treo.

Joe
    Many folks say that CDMA is better. But I only hear of disadvantages ...

CDMA - Worse battery life
    CDMA - Less flexible (no SIM card)
    CDMA - Doesn't handle incoming calls while browsing the web as well ...

what else?
    CDMA - have their 650's while GSMer's are still waiting
    CDMA - supposed to be faster with data access, although GSM 650 has EDGE which depending on who you talk to evens things up in this category
    CDMA - I guess depending on where you live coverage is better for some with Sprint over other carriers

Of course as someone waiting for GSM I have to add one GSM advantage you missed

CDMA - won't work in Europe, Afrika, large parts of Asia whereas GSM is a World standard! (I like to travel, Europe is cool, this is important to me anyway.)
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    CDMA works much better than GSM for me personally. I had t-mobile before and it was complete crap. Data is faster than GPRS and Verizon has excellent coverage where i live and travel. So CDMA for me so far.
    CDMA if you look at the subscriber base is LARGER in the US then GSM. Verizon is the #2 provider - Mix in Sprint and you have more subscribers then Cingular. Sorry in the US CDMA is king.
    Quote Originally Posted by XistBoi
    CDMA if you look at the subscriber base is LARGER in the US then GSM. Verizon is the #2 provider - Mix in Sprint and you have more subscribers then Cingular. Sorry in the US CDMA is king.
    Sorry, but you better read you newspaper, watch tv or read the news on your treo.

The very day that Cingular closed its takeover of AT&T (NYSE: T) Wireless Services Inc. to become the biggest U.S. cellphone company, on October 26, it activated a new roaming deal between the two predecessor networks that meant an instant improvement in calling coverage for many of its 46 million customers.

Twenty days later, Cingular also expanded unlimited mobile-to-mobile calling plans to double the number of cellphone owners its customers can call without deducting from their monthly minutes.

But in the case of Sprint Nextel, it will be months if not years before existing subscribers see any dramatic changes. Unlike Cingular and AT&T Wireless (NYSE: AWE), which share common network operating systems, Sprint and Nextel operate totally different systems that make it impossible for a subscriber to one carrier to roam onto the network of the other.
    http://www.ecommercetimes.com/story/...ger-39212.html

COULD YOU PASS THE CROWN?
    Quote Originally Posted by XistBoi
    Are you forgetting Cingular is the #1 provider - mix in T-Mobile and I think just maybe GSM is bigger. Ultimately I don't care. It isn't about just being king in the US. GSM is something like 75% or more of the world market (I actually think larger, but don't want to state a larger number when I am not sure).
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobookins
    CDMA - supposed to be faster with data access, although GSM 650 has EDGE which depending on who you talk to evens things up in this category
    What kind of speeds are Sprint users getting? EDGE on a 4 slot device like the 650 will get you as fast as 175K/sec in my experience. Right now I am testing 82K/sec with only one to two bars in my house on dslreports.com's mobile speed test page.
    On this issue of no calls on web, I too have noticed the green arrows going when I am not on vision. How do I manually stop the treo 650 from connecting, so I can stop missing calls? Thanks!
    Yes this pisses me off, because I think that on my Samsung A680 I would recieve calls while using Vision, weird that this super smart phone can't accomplished that..
    Can an intelligence create another intelligence more intelligent than itself? Are we more intelligent than the evolutionary process that created us? In turn, will the intelligence that we are creating come to exceed that of its creator?

[ Treo 650 on Sprint ]
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    I was told by Sprint that it is a limitation of the CDMA network. I am not sure what to believe....
    Sprint PCS Treo 600 & 650
    Verizon Treo 700w
    www.James-K.com
    Quote Originally Posted by helpermonkey
    What kind of speeds are Sprint users getting? EDGE on a 4 slot device like the 650 will get you as fast as 175K/sec in my experience. Right now I am testing 82K/sec with only one to two bars in my house on dslreports.com's mobile speed test page.
    To be honest I'm not sure. There was a whole GSM versus CDMA thread and I know that CDMA was stated as being faster than GPRS.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...=Sprint+versus

Then there was a thread about tests done by AT&T which showed EDGE wasn't as fast as everyone was expecting.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...highlight=EDGE

Hope these references help find an answer to your question. Personally it does sound like EDGE is a decent improvement over GPRS and since I need/want a phone that will work in Europe that's good enough for me because I wouldn't consider CDMA no matter what.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers