Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1.    #1  
    I'm waiting for the unlocked GSM Treo 650 to be released and am planning on buying it from PalmOne but have a question as I've never purchased an unlocked/unbranded phone before: (I'm using T-Mobile) How will I be able to access the T-Mobile installed software/shortcuts - e.g., T-Zones?

    Is there any other 'functionality' I may lose (or would have to configure manually) by going this route?

    Thanks.
  2. #2  
    You will have to configure your Tzones settings manually. Its pretty easy, just do a search for the settings.
  3.    #3  
    Ok, that's what I thought and I'm fine with that. Just wanted to make sure I would still get all of the services from my carrier with an unbranded phone. Thanks.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by koolio
    I'm waiting for the unlocked GSM Treo 650 to be released and am planning on buying it from PalmOne but have a question as I've never purchased an unlocked/unbranded phone before: (I'm using T-Mobile) How will I be able to access the T-Mobile installed software/shortcuts - e.g., T-Zones?

    Is there any other 'functionality' I may lose (or would have to configure manually) by going this route?

    Thanks.
    Like mobileman said.
    For T-Mobile settings, try that:
    http://www.t-mobile.com/help/service...onfigother.asp
    and
    http://us.t-mobile.mywds.com/

    I am in the same situation. Have you thought of switching to Cingular because of EDGE speed ?
    BTW, which t-zones ? $4.99 ? $9.99 or the internet plan $19.99 ?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by brightcell
    I am in the same situation. Have you thought of switching to Cingular because of EDGE speed ?
    BTW, which t-zones ? $4.99 ? $9.99 or the internet plan $19.99 ?
    I thought about switching to Cingular for EDGE, too, but I'm a bit nervous since they used to be very bad in the New England area. But, I'm still considering switching since my company has a discount with them (and all other wireless providers) so if I can get the Treo 650 for a lot cheaper, then I might do it. The other thing that's preventing me from switching is I'm still under contract with T-Mobile b/c I upgraded to the BB 7100t this past October.

    Oh, and, I'm have the BlackBerry Minutes and More plan; which provides unlimited data. Prior to my BB, I was using the $4.99 T-zones service.

    Where are you located and what have you heard about Cingular's service?
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by koolio
    I thought about switching to Cingular for EDGE, too, but I'm a bit nervous since they used to be very bad in the New England area. But, I'm still considering switching since my company has a discount with them (and all other wireless providers) so if I can get the Treo 650 for a lot cheaper, then I might do it. The other thing that's preventing me from switching is I'm still under contract with T-Mobile b/c I upgraded to the BB 7100t this past October.

    Oh, and, I'm have the BlackBerry Minutes and More plan; which provides unlimited data. Prior to my BB, I was using the $4.99 T-zones service.

    Where are you located and what have you heard about Cingular's service?
    I love Cingular and now have the best coverage available since the merger finally beating out Verizon which used to be number one in this area, So Cal.

    Enough said, don't buy a phone with a carrier with spotty service. If in your area Cingular is bad, don't get it because of EDGE.

    Here is what you do and it is in no way dishonest. Go to Cingular buy a cheap phone or wait for the Treo whichever. Do a 30 day trial with them, you have nothing to lose. Bring it to work, home, gym where ever you hang out and test the service. If it proves bad go sto another carrier else. Since the merger Cingular is so confident they will win give the nation 30 days to decide. All other carriers give you 14 days. (except in states like California where it is law they give you 30). I did it with T-mobile here, proved terrible, and I missed my day 14 by 1 day and was locked into a contract, so be careful. (before the 30day law).
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    I love Cingular and now have the best coverage available since the merger finally beating out Verizon which used to be number one in this area, So Cal.

    Enough said, don't buy a phone with a carrier with spotty service. If in your area Cingular is bad, don't get it because of EDGE.

    Here is what you do and it is in no way dishonest. Go to Cingular buy a cheap phone or wait for the Treo whichever. Do a 30 day trial with them, you have nothing to lose. Bring it to work, home, gym where ever you hang out and test the service. If it proves bad go sto another carrier else. Since the merger Cingular is so confident they will win give the nation 30 days to decide. All other carriers give you 14 days. (except in states like California where it is law they give you 30). I did it with T-mobile here, proved terrible, and I missed my day 14 by 1 day and was locked into a contract, so be careful. (before the 30day law).
    Actually, that might not be a bad idea...I have two friends on ATTWS and they didn't rave about the new Cingular nor did they say it was bad. Per the coverage maps, Cingular appears to have more coverage than T-Mobile in New England. Then, again, if I switch, I would have to deal with the early termination fee with T-Mobile. That would pretty much negate any discount I get on the T650 from Cingular - unless, if my B2B rep gives me a spectacular deal. So, I might just buy the GSM version from PalmOne and reassess Cingular when my contract expires; which would be this October.

Posting Permissions