1.    #1  
    must i forward mail to sprintpcs.com to pick it up with the treo, or can i log onto a different POP server and pull it out of there? and, if the latter is possible, are there any tricks?
    Hey bittman, maybe you don't own a Treo yet. Short answer. No you don't have to forward to sprint. You pick up email out of the a pop account just like on your computer.
  3.    #3  
    thanks - what is the long answer? (if you don't mind) - does my 'mail service' remain sprintpcs? this is a small domain, not an isp - and, yes, i have a 650 and, yes, versamail/sprintpcs is driving me nuts - and i'm looking for an alternative. mb
    There are several threads about this type of topic, if you do a bit of research. Versamail is quirky, I use Snapper, it's a bit expensive but trouble free if you want a good robust product.

set your incoming mail server to be:
    pop.(your isp) i.e. mine is pop.charter.net
    this get mail.

the trick is sending.
    you need to use
    smtp.sprintpcs.com

this link should help.
    http://www.snappermail.com/support/isp.cfm#13

this is the snapper site but works similar for versamail. Where it says to use pop.sprintpcs.com make sure you use your isp instead.

Hope this helps.
    I suggest you get a gmail account and auto forward all your email to there. It's amazing at sorting spam. and you can get it to forward you a notification straight to your treo (via SMS).
    bittman, how you making out? figure it out?
  7.    #7  
    I have figured out how to get notification from my regular server via SMA (just forward to me@messaging.sprintpcs.com) and the spam isn't much of an issue - somewhere along the line it's getting filtered. What's an issue is getting versamail to behave as well as the old e-mail program did. I get a lot of e-mail and whenever there are more than five messages, one it 'too big' - or there's an 'error retrieving message' or whatever. So at the moment - I'm sick of dealing with it - I'm just looking at the SMSs, then retrieving headers (which works) and then going back and picking up the ones that matter (which, of course, are very few!). But this is a nuisance.
    i know i could go to snappermail, but people on this forum complain about that too, and it seems Sprint/P1 should be able to provide me with something that works. And, naively, I believe that eventually they'll work this out. Meanwhile, i will plug away, and thank you taointn and blademonkey for help and advice.
    I use an e-mail host that uses username and password SMTP authentication to I don't have to go through Sprint's SMTP server. That makes things a bit easier. Since I got my 650 I've been using Versamail because the version of Snapper I have has been way too buggy. I think I might upgrade Snapper though because I loved the way it worked on my 600.
    why would you need an upgrade, it works fine on the 650 as it is.