1.    #1  
    Has anyone else noticed that the signal strenght of the treo 650 bluetooth is weak? With my BT250 bluetooth adaptor I can walk around my apartment and have a crystal clear conversation. With the 650 and no adaptor I lose clarity at around 4 feet. Any thoughts? Is this a known issue? Is there a patch?
    I can definitely go further than 4 ft. with my BT headset. Conversation is degraded when there's a computer or a few walls in between, but for the most part the signal strength seems fine to me. Might want to get your phone checked out?
    see the threads for the "best bluetooth..." the 650 has some definite bt issues.
  4.    #4  
    So this is a HW issue? We are positive of this?
    I would love to get 4 feet of coverage between my 650 and my Scala 500 BT headset. At 6 inches there is no static, at 3 feet the static is bearable but annoying, more than 3 feet the static is embarrassing. I am running the 650 without any patches / mods except the BT Car upgrade off the Palm One site.

With all the great reviews of the Scala 500 headset, I think it is a hardware issue.

My question is: Is this an issue with my particular phone or are other users experiencing the same limited BT range?
    I'm having the exact same issue. My laptop has BT as well. I can listen to audio on my Scala about 10-15 ft away from my laptop. Needless to say, I can't use my Scala when its 10 feet away from the Treo - not even 4 feet. If I have the Treo on the wrong side of my body, I get static. There needs to be a patch to up the BT power on the Treo...
    I first had a Jabra 200 and it wasn't worth using. I agree that it worked fine on the 600 with the adapter. But, man it sucked with the 650 and no adapter. Then I tried a Planktronics M-2500 and it was just as shi**y. I just got a Sony Ericsson HBH-65 and at least there's way less static. A bluetooth usable with the 650 at last. Geez. On the negative side, the HBH-65 doesn't have much volume and doesn't fit in the ear as well as the other two. But you what, it's way worth it to have a conversation without someone saying "it sounds like you're swimming in a gutter"
  8.    #8  
    So I broght my Jabra and Treo into my Sprint store and after a complete physical they said it was the Jabra. They insisted that if I purchased the body globe headset it would work perfectly. Does this sound fishy to anyone? Do I need to cough up another 99 bucks plus tax?
    I don't know what the BT issue with everyone's phone is. I can walk downstairs and still maintain a connection with my phone. At that point there's a great deal of static, but its about 30 ft from the phone and a few walls in between. Worked with both the motorola HS810 and scala 500.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinj1EVA
    I don't know what the BT issue with everyone's phone is. I can walk downstairs and still maintain a connection with my phone. At that point there's a great deal of static, but its about 30 ft from the phone and a few walls in between. Worked with both the motorola HS810 and scala 500.
    I have a scala 500 on the way so we shall see.
    I think the BT headset range is over hyped. Also, if your bluetooth is 1.0 or 1.1 inteference from 2.4 ghz cordless and in-home Wi-Fi will give you serious problems. Thus the new Blutooth standard 1.2

Unfortunately, getting 1.2 bt headset will not do anything for you if your phone is 1.0 or 1.1. For now, work on minimizing interference, and getting an amplified bluetooth headset that has a longer volume range.

I also mentioned in another thread that your body acts as a shield in the bluetooth range. You will notice degradation in perfermane if your headset is on your left ear and your phone is in your right pocket.
    Yeah, definitely some low range or lower power on the Treo. When I put the treo in my pants pocket and the Scala on my ear, there is a touch of static. If I pull out the Treo and move it closer to my ear, the static goes away! Hopefully there will be a patch that improves this.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by fazworld
    Yeah, definitely some low range or lower power on the Treo. When I put the treo in my pants pocket and the Scala on my ear, there is a touch of static. If I pull out the Treo and move it closer to my ear, the static goes away! Hopefully there will be a patch that improves this.
    So the Scala500 came and it is much better than the Jabra. Still not the distance I would like but it is usable. Hopefully Palm will fix the range.
    i'm definately having the same problem with the static. I thought i might be the only one. good thing i'm not.
    definately not the only one... I get static from my 660 when paried with the treo 650, if they're on opposite sides of my body. Paried to my laptop with BT I was able to walk across the room and still hear audio clearly, no static. I've heard that the BT chipset in the 650 supports BT 1.2, I hope P1 updates the software to support it in a future update....

I wonder though, how some people are reporting no problems, while others have serious static issues.

Does anyone think there would be any benefit to exchanging the phone?
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by rezdog
    Does anyone think there would be any benefit to exchanging the phone?
    I doubt it. I think you should change headsets. That worked for me.