1.    #1  
    Why did a person of such high caliber, that being Sony's President, appear on stage at Macworld and talk about nothing? I was embarrassed for him because all he could do is talk in circles... about nothing.

http://www.hardwarezone.com/img/data.../jobs_ando.jpg

What do you suppose is the deal there? Was something to be announced and neither person wanted to speak without last minute details needing to be worked out? Was Jobs trying to put Sony on the spot? Why does Sony now show up at a Macworld after proving to be so difficult to work with in the past?
    I undestand your point. But,
    Well I think it had a very purposeful message, at least for me. You being a Mac-head (no offense) think nothing of it. My first computer was an Apple 20 years ago and that was my last Apple. Now things are looking interesting to us non-Apple people. I wouldn't but an I-pod, but I am going to order a I-shuffle, and if I had enough money, would buy a mini-mac just for fun (1,000 worth not the $499).

Apple is giving people a reason to buy apple, they are partnering successfully. I watched the Bill Gates thing at CES and the Steve Jobs thing, I was much more impressed with Steve's. My entire Stereo system is Sony ES, not Sony crap. I have Sony camcorders. I video edit using a PC Avid #1 in Hollywood. Knowing that a amicable relationship exists between Apple and Sony would make me think twice about my next go round. Sony is king of camcorders and now has HD for $3500, that is great and Apple is working directly with them.

Sony may have been apathetic in the past, but now major video contenders are bulking up and give Sony big competition. I think however pointess it seemed or however he struggled with English, it really moved me that he was there, and not in jacket in tie. It was very cool for, non-Apple me. The whole presentation exciting.
    Although the president of Sony did look a bit uncomfortable, it was the symbolism of his presence that I believe Steve was going for. I have to agree with cglaguna in regards to Apple's intent to go after the digital video editing market. I am into digital video editing myself and use Final Cut Pro. I think that many people will be influenced in a positive way to consider Apple since they are obviously embracing the HD format in a partnership with Sony. I too love Sony DV cameras with my old TRV-900 still being my favorite over my newer VX-2000. I'm looking forward to Sony's HD camcorders
  4.    #4  
    I understand that it could be symbolic but I don't buy the idea that Steve used this as an opportunity to sell people on a $3500 camera. Why would he bring that up? This whole conference was redefining Apple as a company who now markets really good stuff that is affordable (whereas before it was considered overpriced and unattainable).

Inexpensive Mac mini at $499
    Inexpensive iPod shuttle at $99
    Keynote used to be $99 – improved version 2 along with their new Pages application is now $79
    All displays dropped in price by as much as $500
    All keyboards and mice have dropped in price
    iMovie HD is actually available for $10

Everything is now extremely affordable. Why would they bring the CEO of Sony Corporation out to try and sell people on a $3500 HD camera?

Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    I undestand your point. But,
    Well I think it had a very purposeful message, at least for me. You being a Mac-head (no offense) think nothing of it.
    No offense taken – but I do think something of it, that is why I questioned someone of such high caliber appearing at a Macworld conference ... with nothing to say.
    Well I can see your point. All I am saying is that I-pod brought Apple back into the spotlight, once again, I think they are trying to ride it for all it's worth. I am not saying they (in the past 5 years) haven't made innovative well thought out machines, but they were sinking back into that old Mac whole of niche group which was not big, for what ever reason.

Apple has lost a great deal of video power in Hollywood to Avid, which this year is shoving Apple under the carpet. Apple is not supported for the first time since inception in one of the most powerful editing NLE system available. 85% of video and film editied in Hollywood is edited on Avid and not Final Cut. This is outragous considering Apple used to have this area sewn up. For the first time in history Apple is trying to keep up with innovations that other companies already have. Avid for one blows away final cut in features and Apple is trying to keep pace the best way they can, with price, which is great, and integration and partners. If you notice with U2, Sony, Itunes they are going after integration and association. You may not think it is working, but I, previous Apple hater, am checking the website almost daily. People like integration, one place to get support, one place to ***** excuse me complain like an itch with a "B".

If no other reason than apppearance of Sony dude, to take the time to appear at a Apple event, I think that says alot for both companies.

Many people may not buy a $3,500 HD camcorder, but I guarantee you, many people would. I was going to wait and get a Canon, but seeing Sony dude made me think twice about it. I think it will change the minds of people. Even if people who never will buy a $3,500 HD camcorder, will buy a $800 Sony because of that association with creative quality, and the incredible presentation Apple did.

You are right it was a small insignificant thing. But companies pay an average of 2.4 million dollars for 30 seconds on a superbowl commercial. When half the audience is drinking yelling and not paying attention.

I am telling you, ask me 3 years ago if I would sit through a streaming broadcast of a Mac World event and I would have laughed my head off. One of my friends put it on while we were downing a 1/2 liter of Jack Daniels and beer. Two days later, when I had my mind back, I searched and found it myself and watched it again. I was very impressed.
  6.    #6  
    It seems weird that the iPod is what opened people's eyes to Apple but I guess you're right. Apple has so many other things going for it that makes the products it has so useful. Like the powerful and time-saving AppleScript. I don't even know why I bothered listing that here other than it just seems so obscure, but it really does make a difference in how you can use Apple's products.

Anyway, to address your comment on Apple using the iPod and riding it for all it's worth, i think they should partner with Sony to incorporate the iPod into HD camcorders. All that space that is used up for the mechanical drive of the tape transport seems ridiculous. Use a new iPod perhaps, with Toshiba's new 80GB drive. Bring the size and weight down and reliability up. Oh, and it would have the added benefit of making it cheaper. AND, you could also pull the content off faster than the restricted 1X speed of tape drives.

Wouldn't be much to it I would think. iPods already have a Firewire interface and so do Sony camcorders (albeit with a different name).

Hey, what do you know. Apple made iPhoto capable of importing video content from cameras and such just last week with their new iLife '05 release.

There, now that would be an affordable consumer-level HD camcorder that is easy to use.
    If you troll the Mac web sites, one theme emerging is that Apple is heading towards streaming video on demmand, and needs Sony to help sponsor the push by giving access to their film catalog. Thus the presence of Sony onstage at the Stevenote. Apple just announced HD video tools in the Mac, but one obscure announcement was to do with a new HD video codec, which gives excellent video quality and variable compressibility/scalability. This is poised to enable true streaming HD video to your home/Mac over 'standard' broadband. As with media in general, you need access to the media even if you have the technology. Note the multi year struggle that Apple has gone through (and continues to go through in the US and worldwide) to legally license and ditribute music. Just wait for the epic battle to license video downloads (look at the DVD regional coding mess to give you an idea).
  8.    #8  
    What about the fact that Apple just introduced all these consumer level applications that import, edit, catalog and write content back out to DVD in the HD format?

There is a $79 dollar software package that does all this, but what do we do with it? We need content.

I think your partly right — in that we need HD content now, BUT it won't come in the form of streaming movies exclusively from Sony. If Apple did that, they would seal the deal in shutting themselves out from making any money completely. It would be opening the doors to all these other companies to come in and beat Apple up – which would be a shame, especially since they practically wrote the .h264 of MPEG-4 (ISO adapted QT and literally built MPEG-4 from it).

I'm not saying Steve is ignoring the idea of licensing this sort of content, it's just that it doesn't seem feasible that Sony would make the same mistake twice and let Apple profit in something that is even more important to Sony than digital music – you better believe Sony will do everything they can to get ahead of Apple in any sort of digital movie deal.
    Sony screwed up with their rollout of their MP3 player recently. Reportedly Steve Jobs went to Sony and offered to license Apple's DRM and technology for Sony's new product, and Sony said no. Sony came up with their own DRM and encoding scheme, and the rollout was an abysmal failure. Now Sony reeally needs a boost, and the boost will likely come from Apple. If Apple helps Sony, Sony needs to help Apple. Sony gets to make the money off of the content (movies), but needs a way to distibute HD over IP, and Apple has the solution.
  10.    #10  
    I don't know, you may all have a point but I still say it is some sort of harware (provided by Sony) and software (provided by Apple) partnership.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    Why did a person of such high caliber, that being Sony's President, appear on stage at Macworld and talk about nothing? I was embarrassed for him because all he could do is talk in circles... about nothing.

http://www.hardwarezone.com/img/data.../jobs_ando.jpg
    Sony was embarrassed too, I guess; Kunitake Ando is being kick ou... errr, "stepping down" from his position as CEO of Sony.
    Last edited by archie; 03/24/2005 at 12:27 PM.
  12.    #12  
    I don't know, you may all have a point but I still say it is some sort of harware (provided by Sony) and software (provided by Apple) partnership.
    I know it's sacrilegious to quote yourself but I still think something like this may come about, even after Sony got rid of Ando.

Maybe Sony will re-release the Cliι after a heavy redesign... to use a version of Apple's Mac OS X.
    Speeaking of All New Things Apple, a friend of mine who promotes Apple products saw a slim grey tablet pc looking unit running OS X in a sytem engineers office. Is Apple coming close to entering that market as well???

-CK
  14.    #14  
    Don't know.

Maybe it was an XP machine running an OS X dress-up utility.

That's not to say that prototypes can never be found outside of Apple. I have seen G4 machines in disquise at R.R. Donnelly (back when all we had were G3s) and also the 30" flat screen at an internal 3M technology show.
  15.    #15  
    Check out the last line at the bottom of this Sony Playstation website.
    Check out the last line at the bottom of this Sony Playstation website.
    Wow. Sony has always seemed to have some of the worst Mac support. Seeing Tiger support listed for the PS3 is most impressive and, likely, very telling.
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    The latest podcast of engadget (which I play on my treo using tcpmp) also mentions Apple seeking help from and recruiting Sony employees. Especially those who worked in the Vaio division. Maybe Apple is finally going to try to come up with something new. As great as the current ibooks and powerbooks are, they've largely remained unchanged for many generations now. I think a new slimmer powerbook (using intel's chip) is pretty exciting.
    Palm IIIe -> Visor Deluxe -> Palm 505 -> Clie tj37 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700P