Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by tdjenkins
    I have been recording TV shows with Showshifter, a snapstream alternative. I then use virtual dub and X
    The Showshiffer version support divx...do you still need to convert before play on the Treo using MMPlayer? Size too big? Must use Virtualab to convert? etc?

I convert some testing clips from WMV to MP4 and play with Kinoma Player Ex...It play good. Mayber PowerEncoder could do the conversion to whatever format too?
    Quote Originally Posted by codetreo
    The Showshiffer version support divx...do you still need to convert before play on the Treo using MMPlayer? Size too big? Must use Virtualab to convert? etc?

I convert some testing clips from WMV to MP4 and play with Kinoma Player Ex...It play good. Mayber PowerEncoder could do the conversion to whatever format too?
    Most of my original post was cutoff, I don't know why but I was posting directly from my Treo so maybe I did something wrong. Anyway you should be able to convert directly to DivX in a profile of your chosing but it doesn't work for me because I have it all setup on an old computer with an ATI card. DivX has never worked for me on that system so I copy direct to avi with no compression and then use my laptop to convert for use on the Palm. Since ShowShifter is no longer supporting Win98 I haven't updated in about 2 years. I'm sure they have improved the product in that time but when I purchased it, it was better than snapstream as an application capable of being ran directly on the TV as well as the PC. Snapstream only looked good on the PC at the time.
    Boss - > Pilot -> Casioppieia A -> IIIc -> Clie SJ33 -> Treo 600
    Quote Originally Posted by redcap
    How about this? Run your TV tuner on your home desktop computer and connect your Treo via Win-Hand software. Thus, no need to use any type of video player on your Treo. I never used Win-Hand, does it support sound from the remote desktop?
    I've given it a shot. In few words, it works, but nothing you'd want to use regularly. The frames come in every few seconds, but if you need to check a score or something, it'll work. http://www.flickr.com/photos/kwramsauer/3714646/
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    I've given it a shot. In few words, it works, but nothing you'd want to use regularly. The frames come in every few seconds, but if you need to check a score or something, it'll work. http://www.flickr.com/photos/kwramsauer/3714646/
    Have you tried the MobileTS? Palm VNC? Is the frame rate any better?
    I haven't tried any other. It's really not a workable solution with WinHand and I doubt it'll be a workable solution with any VNC-like software.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Thanks for the feedback!
    Quote Originally Posted by codetreo

What are you using to convert from WMV to MP4?
    Ths.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    I used Kinoma Producer 3 to convert the MWV to MP4 format. There are few MP4 convertors out there now--CyberLink PowerEncoder AVC, Nero Recode 2, and MoonLight One Click Compressor AVC...all supports the MP4 aka H.264 format. I believe the newer version of Kinoma Player corrected the Nero Recode MP4 profile format so that it could play it.
    Last edited by codetreo; 01/26/2005 at 05:08 PM.
    How do you get the file from the Replay TV unit to your PC? I have an older Panasonic Replay TV PVHS2000. The only output I have on it is the composite or S-video. Do you have to capture the video and then encode it or can you pull the file directly from your Replay TV box?
    I don't see any way for you to do a direct copy like other Reply TV models. You don't have any network connections on that model. Is it worth the time to play the shows that you recorded and then play it back to the computer to encoder? That will takes you forever to do that.

If you do decide to use the computer to recapture/recode the video, then YES...it will take alot of time.
    http://replayfaq.leavensfamily.com/ have you checked out this site? I didn't see any information on how you can copy the data out w/o the network connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by investwisely
    Well I did not say live! Anyway, I have finally perfected thanks to all the advice on this great site a way to take taped shows to the TREO 650. I have a ReplayTV unit which records in Mpeg and I transfer the file over my network to my PC where I use (Virtualdub- Free) using DIVx (Free) codec to compress to 320x240. I can get 1 gb of high quality ReplayTV video to 200mb of compressed Divx. I am going to try using low quality on the ReplayTV to shrink further. I just plop in my SD 1gb card into my PC and copy the compressed file over and use MMplayer to view the video. It's great now I can take my recorded shows on the road.

Note: I use a wireless network to transfer my files (which is very slow) A hardwired approach is much better over ethernet.
    Congrats! This is exactly what I want (plan) to do!!!! Glad to hear it is do-able! I have the 650, and a Sony DirecTivo recorder. I plan to make the necessary changes to my TIVO to be able to extract the video to my PC, and then pick up on the tools you used to get the files playable on the 650.

I have to figure out how to do the extraction on the TIVO first (plenty of instructions on the net I guess).
    I would be interested in discussions with any Directivo users who have done this successfully.
    How to go from snapstream to Palm Treo 650 mpeg4 format.. What is the best way? Virtual dub?
    Quote Originally Posted by LouisW
    How to go from snapstream to Palm Treo 650 mpeg4 format.. What is the best way? Virtual dub?

i use kinoma.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by LouisW
    I use VirtualDub - love it (got to avi format).
    For those using Snapstream, do you need to re-encode the video to a Treo friendly size? Or can you play the videos directly?

I'm looking for a solution that does not require all the re-encoding time and hassle.
    You'll have to reencode. MPG2 is not a good format for Treo.
    i re-encode using kinoma.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    What type of battery drain is it on the treo650 to watch a 2 hour movie. If I'm travelling and watch a movie on the treo during the flight once I land am I going to have enough power left for the next hour or two to make phone calls?
    About 10-12%/hour
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12