Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm wondering if anybody has noticed any thing working better on the newer Sprint Treo 650s than with the old ones. I remember some people complaining about the "P" key in the keyboard or other people not been able to hear them or reset loops and etc. I'm buying a new Treo 650 this week and I hope I'll get one of the better ones.

Al
    I have to tell you, and i may be the only one, but i have one of the original runs, delivered to me on November 18th direct from PalmOne, and i have had absolutely zero problems with my device. I have taken care of it, not dropped it, been careful with my ROM updates, etc, but from a hardware perspective, i have not had any problems.

My "P" key has a differnet tactile feel, but nothing i'm concerned with. Oh, and i use it extensively for email and phone useage at work.
    I got mine within the past 10 days or so and I've got no problems. Had some reset loops, but I installed each program one by one to determine which aftermarket programs would cause this downward spiral. Had the voice problem a little, not too bad...but the rom update was a nice help, especially since it can be customized to include the bt patch and free space on the rom by removing unwanted programs. Had the long dialing delay, but it just magically went away...it'll prolly come back since I mentioned it, but definitely not that big of a problem for me. The benefits DEFINITELY outweigh the disadvantages (or should I say lack of disadvantages).
    I just got a new replacement and for some reason it does seem to be better. I flashed the rom with the same update I used before and the sound seems a little better on my end, the BT headset actually seems to sound a little better too. Finally my P key feels normal on this one, it started feeling 'different' now it presses virtually the same as all the other keys.

TS
    I got my Treo650 on December the 28th, and like SailRace, I have had no problems (other than a minor user error). Well, that's not entirely true. I have had a couple soft resets with a couple of freeware apps, but they were application specific and have not repeated since being deleted. I originally got it because I was tired of waiting on Cingular and I intended to return it after the trial period, but I couldn't bring myself to give it back.
    My experience is similar to SailRace's.
  7.    #7  
    Another thing, what is it with the web browsing speed? Some people say it is slow and others say it is fast and finally others say that Sprint did something on the network recently that suddenly made web browsing faster. Anybody?

Thanks,

Al
    Web browsing on the 650 on Sprint has always been much much faster than GSM on the 600 for me. I've always gotten between 110-118kbps on the dslreports website.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I've got one I purchased b4 Christmas. I'm noticing the sound issues more lately than b4 (maybe b4 I just wanted to ignore them.) This is after the patch as well.

Since I'm past my original return period w/ Sprint, what would happen if I took it to the store complaining about the sound issue? Think they'd exchange it and let me take my chance that a newer one wouldn't have this issue as bad?
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    I bought my Treo650 on December 30. No problems with unknown resets, or serious volume problems. I loaded plenty of apps, both internally and on the SD card.

web speed is a comprative experience. If you go from a Kyocera 7135 to a Treo 650 you'd think you've died and gone to heaven. But no PDA can compare with your desktop or laptop web browsing experience, provided you're not using DUN and Win 95/98 and a 486 processor. Toay's broadband (cable or DSL) when using fast Pentium 4 processors, Win XP and plenty of RAM provides an excellent web browsing experience.
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    I had my 650 replaced last week because the space bar quit working. I noticed right away that things worked a little faster. Though all the same bugs with hotsyn resets and blazer resets are still present the version info is still all the same as my original. I reloaded all my same setting and apps from my sd card.
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    After weeks of indecision based largely on the complaints I have read on TC, I purchased a 650 three days ago. I did have a Bluetooth HotSync problem that was caused by my having specified the wrong port, and there is the dialing delay. Other than that, I have to say that I'm very pleased with the 650. I don't consider myself a power user, so the memory limitation is not an issue for me. I do believe that Sprint and/or Palm will make eventually provide patches that address people's main concerns, and I haven't yet installed any of shadowmites' ROM updates. All in all, I'm a happy customer, at least for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Geckotek
    I've got one I purchased b4 Christmas. I'm noticing the sound issues more lately than b4 (maybe b4 I just wanted to ignore them.) This is after the patch as well.

Since I'm past my original return period w/ Sprint, what would happen if I took it to the store complaining about the sound issue? Think they'd exchange it and let me take my chance that a newer one wouldn't have this issue as bad?
    I just returned my first one (which was patched) a few days ago right around the 30 day mark. The sound issues were lessened, but still definitely there. I have not patched my new one and cannot say definitively yet whether it is better in the "can they hear me" department, but the speaker is less muffled/has a little more treble.

Anyhow, the guy at the sprint store exchanged it out for a new one after I told him people couldn't understand me. Also, he said that if I continued to have problems I should bring this phone back and they would exchange it for me until I got a good one. Nice service, I have to say.

Gabe
    Anyone using the Sprint version in the NYC/Northern NJ/Jersey Shore area?
    I'm tempted to jump to Sprint, since there is an awesome deal, and my Cingular Razr is worthless... hardly ever rings, goes to voicemail and half the time Cingulars vm isn't working and says that I'm not accepting calls....

Anyway, I'd like to dump Cingular but I don't want to cut off my nose to spite my face and get stuck with a 2 year commitment to Sprint if the signal is crappy around here.

Cingular is pretty good with the GSM combo from what was ATT but for some reason at my place in Hoboken, I get 4-5bars but it doesn't ring as I mentioned.

Thanks!
    Jim
    PS I use to own a GSM Treo 600 but it broke and I had the option to return for a full refund, so I did.
    we got two at the same time - one for me, one for the wife

hers just LOOKS different - the keys are more "transparent" (?)

and the light seems greener and/or lighter

my keys are more opaque

i like mine better

mine is a later build

other than that - all is the same

i've had the two together side by side and tried to do different things - they both act the same so far

What number(s) on the phone are you going by to tell the later build? I just got my 1st 650 replacement and noticed the battery cover is also loose and makes a clicking sound (just like the old 650) as I type one handed with my left hand. The batt cover moves and clicks only in the left hand. I can feel and hear the cover it as I squeeze it and it is very annoying. Makes the phone feel cheap and not solid as a $600 device should. Anyone else have this compalint? I tried shimming it with folded paper towel but did not have much success. I'll have to find some thin foam and try that.

Quote Originally Posted by megaphone
    we got two at the same time - one for me, one for the wife

hers just LOOKS different - the keys are more "transparent" (?)

and the light seems greener and/or lighter

my keys are more opaque

i like mine better

mine is a later build

other than that - all is the same

i've had the two together side by side and tried to do different things - they both act the same so far

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SailRace
    My "P" key has a differnet tactile feel, but nothing i'm concerned with. Oh, and i use it extensively for email and phone useage at work.
    Interestingly, I just noticed this, too. The "p" key doesn't emit a "click" noise when pressed like all of the other keys do. It's more like a soft "thud".
    I am in northern nj (west orange, summit, middlesex, jersey city, kearny) and get pretty good reception everywhere. I've had the 650 since a week or 2 before xmas and don't remember ever having a incoming call go into voicemail wrongly, except just this week it happened twice. I had a 600 for about a year and it happened maybe 5 or 6 times that whole time.
    Code:
    Brian K. White  --  brian@aljex.com  --  http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
    +++++[>+++[>+++++>+++++++<<-]<-]>>+.>.+++++.+++++++.-.[>+<---]>++.
    filePro BBx  Linux SCO  Prosper/FACTS AutoCAD  #callahans Satriani
  19.    #19  
    I should be getting my Sprint Treo on Tuesday. I'll post my hardware impressions once I get it.

Al
    which number should i look at to gage the later phone?

i looked at the s/n on mine - its numbers and letters - starts w/ ptp... ends w/ ...0nt

???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast