Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

I'm still (http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=69186) trying to make the leap from my blackberry to the 650 + Chatter and I can't really find an explicit answer to the big 'battery life' question when running chatter.

Just for the record: what kind of battery life are people getting (and approx. how many online folders are you running and emails are you receiving)? I've read all sorts of different figures and so I thought it might be helpful to consolidate figures here. Oh, and please note whether you're on the 600 or 650 and whether you're on CDMA or GSM.

Geoff.

P.S. And just for the record: my blackberry 7210 gets about 3-5 days syncing a single folder and receiving somewhere close to 50 messages a day.
  2.    #2  
    Please excuse the obvious bump, but I'm slightly surprised that no-one answered this. I think this is something which is really worth documenting (perhaps even a sticky post?) as it's an issue which might well pursuade non-Treo people to make the move (and hence sell more copies of Chatter...).

I noticed this post on a blackberry forum this morning:

http://www.pdastreet.com/forums/show...threadid=54174

It doesn't make any mention of Chatter, but if I had a battery life estimate I'd be tempted to post a comment there as they seem to think that Versamail is the best that Treo can provide...
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffreycross
    Hi,

I'm still (http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=69186) trying to make the leap from my blackberry to the 650 + Chatter and I can't really find an explicit answer to the big 'battery life' question when running chatter.

Just for the record: what kind of battery life are people getting (and approx. how many online folders are you running and emails are you receiving)? I've read all sorts of different figures and so I thought it might be helpful to consolidate figures here. Oh, and please note whether you're on the 600 or 650 and whether you're on CDMA or GSM.

Geoff.

P.S. And just for the record: my blackberry 7210 gets about 3-5 days syncing a single folder and receiving somewhere close to 50 messages a day.
    I am presently on a treo 600 GSm Cingular (with strong signal almost everywhere) with Chatter and verichat.

I use my phone heavy to moderate.

I normally charge my phone nightly.

Most of the time I could go two full days without charging using Verichat and Chatter running 24 hours.

I have two chatter email accounts ( two folders) both of them using 24 hr imap push. I receive about 30 emails a day on one account. the other account I use for conversation and can vary 10 - 40 a day.

I am very happy with the Chatter software. (And the verichat for that matter)
    Hope this helps
    It's hard to judge, because people's phone use varies so much. I have 4 online folders, and do some web browsing and a little voice calling. On Sprint with a 650, I get around 16 hours. On my TMO 600, I get closer to 20 hours.

Marc
    I usually charge my t600 every night, but sometimes skip a night. I have 2 online folders and typically get maybe 10 messages a day on the account that goes to the phone. I _think_ I notice slightly more battery usage with chatter than without any email program, but with my charging habits I have never had any problems running down to 0. on one occasion when I wanted to check my email but didn't need to recieve calls on a 5 day trip where I forgot my charger, I kept wireless mode off until I wanted to check my emails, which got me through the 5 days including a few phone calls.

As Marc said, it is difficult to state things like this due to very different usage, of course if you are close to maxing your battery capacity due to lots of talk time, you will be more affected by a small increase in consumption. For me personally, any increase in consumption that chatter's use of IMAP IDLE (which I love) _might_ cause is worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    I am presently on a treo 600 GSm Cingular (with strong signal almost everywhere) with Chatter and verichat.

I use my phone heavy to moderate.

I normally charge my phone nightly.

Most of the time I could go two full days without charging using Verichat and Chatter running 24 hours.

I have two chatter email accounts ( two folders) both of them using 24 hr imap push. I receive about 30 emails a day on one account. the other account I use for conversation and can vary 10 - 40 a day.

I am very happy with the Chatter software. (And the verichat for that matter)
    Hope this helps
    Do you miss any calls when you leave Chatter and VeriChat on 24/7? How do you configure verichat to stay online when the phone is asleep? I have a Sprint T600 with unlimited data but I believe that if there is a data transfer in progress, calls are routed to voicemail...
    I had chatter on the 600 and now the 650. The 650 is definitely less power hungry than the 600. PalmOne did a good job with the RF Tx power control when the phone is idle.

Chatter is quickly becoming a super and I mean super e-mail program. The interface is getting better everyday. If you've never experienced push e-mail, you've gotta give it a try. You'll never go back.
    Quote Originally Posted by psyki
    Do you miss any calls when you leave Chatter and VeriChat on 24/7? How do you configure verichat to stay online when the phone is asleep? I have a Sprint T600 with unlimited data but I believe that if there is a data transfer in progress, calls are routed to voicemail...
    I want to say this carefully not to start a flame war. But I have never missed a call with data using GSM. Now I tried an experiment the other day when some arsewhole claimed that the whole GSM data transfer without sending call to voice mail thing was a myth.

I made about 12 calls while forcing web pages to load, siging on to verichat and other such data intesive things. Only 1 call went to voicemail and cannot promise it was related to downloading data. Otherwise no, it does not interfere calls take priority and goes back to data at the end of the call.

This is from Palm One
    Can I receive a phone call while actively transferring data with GPRS?

Yes!

GPRS is an improvement over dial-up CSD connections, where you occupy an entire node on the cell tower. With dial-up, voice calls are automatically sent to voicemail. GPRS lets you know about incoming calls while you're surfing the web or checking email, and you can answer them immediately.

The process is similar to "call waiting," except with data. For example, if you are using the Blazer browser and you receive a voice call, a dialog will appear asking if you would like to answer or ignore the call.

If you answer the call, your Internet session will be paused while you take the voice call. When you hang up the voice call, you can continue browsing the web.
    If you ignore the call, it will be sent to voicemail, and you can continue browsing the web.
    Link to Palm One
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    I want to say this carefully not to start a flame war. But I have never missed a call with data using GSM. Now I tried an experiment the other day when some arsewhole claimed that the whole GSM data transfer without sending call to voice mail thing was a myth.
    Ouch, where's the love?! Since I'm pretty sure that I'm the "some arsewhole" you so kindly referred to, I feel it's necessary to respond. As I did mention in my prior post, GPRS is much "burstier" in that it picks up and drops the data connection very quickly. This, in my opinion, is the primary reason why fewer calls get sent to VM with the GSM Treo600. 1xRTT, on the other hand, holds the connection for a minimum of about 10 seconds, even if the data transfer is only 2 bytes. (it also takes a couple of seconds to "warm up" the 1x connection) Why it holds the connection so long I don't know, but it is annoying and is no doubt responsible for some calls getting sent to VM as well as impacting battery life.
    But I think if you were to try your test again while streaming some data (as in using shoutCast or something similar) you will find that calls will go to VM.

Anyway, back to the original question - I find that wiht the CDMA Treo600 I can safely get a full day's usage (assuming I charge every night) with moderate email usage via Chatter as well as a handful of calls. 2 days worth would be pushing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by minsc
    Ouch, where's the love?! Since I'm pretty sure that I'm the "some arsewhole" you so kindly referred to, I feel it's necessary to respond. As I did mention in my prior post, GPRS is much "burstier" in that it picks up and drops the data connection very quickly.
    Oh, pardon me for the misunderstand, I thought you replied to my post with

Quote Originally Posted by minsc
    Arrgggh! Where do people get this stuff?? The GSM Treo is no different than the CDMA Treo in this regard - if you're ACTIVELY using the data session, then calls cannot come thorugh and will instead roll to voicemail.
    This is one of those urban legends that just refuses to die.
    from this thread
    Well for the record I get twelve hours reliably. Maybe 15 if I really push it and am willing to see it die in front of me if I don't make it home in time. I have one folder. That's it. I do receive somewhere around 100 emails every day, if that makes a difference. I use the phone very variably--perhaps 10 calls, none more than 2 minutes, on day, perhaps 20 the next. Does that help?
    mdavis - You have a Sprint T600, right?

Marc
    Yes, T600. As everyone has said, however, all this is VERY dependent upon signal strength. But, you know, this is old data I am reporting. I will try tomorrow to turn it on first thing in the morning, resist all temptations to recharge during the day, and post exactly when it dies tomorrow night. It's possible I get as much as 18 hours due to certain changes I made...we shall see.
    Your problem, mdavis, is that you need a T650.

Marc
    Not so fast! Remember I love several features about my T600 (okay, that's another board, but it's still true). I just checked my phone log and I made 60 calls yesterday, 23 the day before, one of which was 16 minutes, one was 8 minutes, and two were 6 minutes; the day before that 26 phone calls, one of which was 23 minutes another 8 minutes...so unsurprisingly I use this more than I imagined. The last time I counted emails it is over 100 a day. But wait! I really think I get more time on the battery than my original data (cited above) indicated; wait till tomorrow and I'll tell you.

650 Ha!
    For the record, my battery life re Chatter and Treo is markedly improved on the 650 as compared to the 600.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm III --> Palm V --> Visor Prism -->Palm VII --> Kyocera 6035 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p -->Centro
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    With Chatter, T650 and Sprint I think that I get double the battery time than I did with my T600 on Verizon! Marc is right, you should get the 650 ASAP.
  18.    #18  
    Ok, guys, thanks for all the responses. My general impression is that without a nightly charge 'push email' isn't really going to work with the Treo for me. I regularly go away for a few days at a time, and having to take my charger with me is going to be a bit tedious. A pity as I was looking forward to playing with Chatter which gets wonderful reviews from all quarters [1].

Geoff.

[1] One of the directors of fastmail told me the other day that Chatter was the "best IMAP client" he had ever seen.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Oh, pardon me for the misunderstand, I thought you replied to my post with

from this thread
    Yeah, that justifies it....

So have you tried my Shoutcast test yet? Let me know when you do, I'm curious to hear the results.
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffreycross
    ... My general impression is that without a nightly charge 'push email' isn't really going to work with the Treo for me. I regularly go away for a few days at a time, and having to take my charger with me is going to be a bit tedious. ...

[.
    I go away also but not quite that long. However maybe you are too hasty. for long trips you can put it off line and qsync periodically -- almost as good as push. I say this only because Chatter is so good it's a shame to forego it unless absolutely necessary. a makor reason I don't have a 650 yet is that Chatter works great with the 600 ... so who needs anything more? That's how happy I am with it. You might be too.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast