Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    Yeah, that justifies it....

So have you tried my Shoutcast test yet? Let me know when you do, I'm curious to hear the results.
    I promise I will next week when I get my 650, my 600 is full and I will not buy an SD card until the SanDisk 2 gig Ultra 2 comes out, hopefully next week too. I don't have shoutcast now.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    I promise I will next week when I get my 650, my 600 is full and I will not buy an SD card until the SanDisk 2 gig Ultra 2 comes out, hopefully next week too. I don't have shoutcast now.
    Cool. If you can honestly run Shoutcast (or something else that continuously taxes the data connection) AND get calls to come through, then I will take a serious look at switching to the GSM650 rather than the Sprint 650.
    My question is... Why would you need Verichat when you have Chatter email + IM?? Why have reduntant apps taking up space.
    Quote Originally Posted by sneakersteve
    My question is... Why would you need Verichat when you have Chatter email + IM?? Why have reduntant apps taking up space.
    If that question is directed to me, I guess because I had Verichat first and was lucky enough to sign up years ago for a lifetime account, which are no longer available. So it does not cost me anything. And I am not sure how much Marc is supporting the IM side right now. I dunno.
    Well, here it is: 15 hours 10 minutes until it shut itself down at close to 0% power. That's with 14 phone calls, 26 minutes total, 69 emails received, 16 messages sent. Chatter with one folder on line, and the large T600 battery that should give me about 10% more power than the stock battery. I thought it would do better and I do think the signal strength was lower today, perhaps because of the snow. I think this is probably about average, at least for me, although I normally use it more; I suspect a lot of the power consumption is less related to my use, but much more to signal strength.
    Update: Now that I have all my hardware and software together, in high signal areas, I got over 20 hours two days ago with kind of minimal phone usage (about 20 minutes total) and less than my usual 50-100 emails a day, more like about 30 emails. Today, I've already passed 16 hours with heavy pTune use, I still have 20% battery left, so I think 18 hours is easily within reach. The only difference besides low usage, is fairly high signal areas all day long.
    Just wait until you get your T650!

Marc

p.s. With radio off, I get excellent battery life. I can play solitaire for days on end!
    Yes, indeed, for some solitaire is the only choice. Of course, if I played solitaire my battery would last forever, not just days on end, or at least until the kids take the cards back.
    Please forgive redundant thread above.... Just found this one.
    Recently (within the past few releases), I have noticed a substantial decrease in battery life. Chatter is the main application i use, although I wouldn't call myself a "heavy user" of it. Are there any settings I can modify to improve battery life? Treo barely makes it through the evening now (it used to be good for 1.5 days with chatter 1.19.x under similar usage)...?

p.s. Chatter rules, by the way.
    p.p.s. I have Sprint 650, 5 folders online, approx. 20 emails and *maybe* 10 minutes voice talk a day. Currently getting maybe 12 hours. Sounds low from above experiences. Any sugestions?
    Well from what a lot of other people say you should be getting much more on the 650 than on the 600. Twelve hours isn't unheard of with the 600 under certain conditions, but even for the 600 that's pretty low. I've found that the certain conditions are low signal strength. When I stay in NYC it lasts forever. But when I travel out of town and encounter low signal strength, I go somewhere between 12-16 hours max, and I have the extra large battery. In high areas, I get 18-20 hours as indicated above. Are you in a low signal area, at least on some days?
    Generally 2-3 bars, depending. I will check tonight with fully charged battery, and report back. I know for sure battery life was longer under similar conditions with an older release of Chatter... not sure exactly under which release the dropoff happened.
    Well if you had better life under similar conditions, then something may well have changed. But 2-3 bars is somewhat weak signal strength from my perspective in the sense that Chatter uses much more power at that level. Hmmm....
    SABA - Why not send me a log; perhaps something's wrong in the setup? You should be getting a lot more than 12 hours, I'd think, with a 650.

Marc
    will send tomorrow am along with battery charge time and estimate of usage.
    mblank - did you receive my log file?
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    I don't understand the rationale of not using Chatter because of battery life. A benefit of the 650 is that it can run down the battery and not lose any info if it shuts down. Why not just pick up a backup battery for $25 and pop it in if you don't charge every night or run it down by accident. You would think most would want a backup battery anyway. With two batteries I can't see why running anything would ever be an issue. When the cradle comes out we can charge the phone and the backup battery at the same time.

Michael
    SABA - What name was it sent from?

Marc
    Because CDMA service providers hold onto that data connection longer hence draining the battery much more quickly. I'm on my Verizon 600 and only Quicksync my folders because I found out the hard way that the battery drainage from keeping folders online all the time (enabling true push to really shine) wrecked my battery within 6 hours. My use was moderate - and that's giving charity.

I don't want to be concerned with carrying around an extra battery explicityly for that reason. It's one thing if I'm going to be traveling, but certainly an extra, unneccessary task on a daily basis.

This is an issue with CDMA. It happened with a Verizon BlackBerry I has as well - but not to the same extent.

I think the GSM 650 will fare much much better.

Quote Originally Posted by mgiven
    I don't understand the rationale of not using Chatter because of battery life. A benefit of the 650 is that it can run down the battery and not lose any info if it shuts down. Why not just pick up a backup battery for $25 and pop it in if you don't charge every night or run it down by accident. You would think most would want a backup battery anyway. With two batteries I can't see why running anything would ever be an issue. When the cradle comes out we can charge the phone and the backup battery at the same time.

Michael
    In my experience, the GSM phones get 50-75% more battery.

Marc
    "...having to take my charger with me is going to be a bit tedious. ... "

There's an alternative: a USB cable that will both synch with your laptop and charge the Treo. The comes-in-the-box cable also charges, but too slowly to be really useful. The after-market cables seem to charge at the same speed as a standalone charger.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast