1.    #1  
    Hi All,

I've been lurking on the board for sometime now and just finally registered. I'm looking for some advice on upgrading my plan to accommodate the Treo650. Here are my details.

I'm currently in the SF Bay area and have a nationwide plan with AT&T. I get a corporate discount, so I would like to stay with AT&T / Cingular. I currently have a TDMA phone.

Here is my plan:
    Upgrade my phone to GSM and purchase the unlimited data plan for phones.
    Purchase an unlocked GSM 650 when available, and switch out the SIM card.

Will the SIM work in the 650 and will this give me unlimited Is there anything else that I should think about?

Thanks in advanced.
  2.    #2  
    Anyone?
    If you've been lurking for a long time you'd know that

Yes, according to GSM users here, and I'm not one, there should be no problem swapping your SIM cards. But with the widespead use of this method (all the nifty tricks you learn only on TtreoCentral) you never know if Cingular will wake up and put an end to the practice. There are many users here who complain about how expensive Cingular data plans are.

I see no value in GSM if I'm not planning to roam internationally. My understanding is that CDMA (EDVO future) web browsing is faster than GSM/GPRS; all for $15 a month on Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    If you've been lurking for a long time you'd know that

Yes, according to GSM users here, and I'm not one, there should be no problem swapping your SIM cards. But with the widespead use of this method (all the nifty tricks you learn only on TtreoCentral) you never know if Cingular will wake up and put an end to the practice. There are many users here who complain about how expensive Cingular data plans are.

I see no value in GSM if I'm not planning to roam internationally. My understanding is that CDMA (EDVO future) web browsing is faster than GSM/GPRS; all for $15 a month on Sprint.
    Well, yes and no. Yes CDMA is faster than GPRS, but the 650 is outfitted with EDGE which is suppposed to be the same or faster than CDMA.

Yes, EDVO is the future for Sprint, but 650 won't support EVDO so the point is moot. UTMS is in the future for GPRS and it is supposed to be even faster than EDGE. But the 650 doesn't support that either. As pricing goes, we shall see. I pay $19.95 for my unlimited data as do the customers that are still signing pay. I don't know how they would raise it if they are still selling it today on Amazon. And no one is complaining how expensive data plans are on Cingular, some people are complaining that the supposed speculation price is too high. But, no one can verify the higher price even exists because it doesn't on the Cingular website or on the phone with customer service, only reported from a Cingular store somewhere in Touleeville.