1.    #1  
    I currently have a Kyocera 7135 with Verizon service. This phone has analog and digital service. The analog comes in handy when I am at my summer house up in the mountains where cell coverage is spotty and analog is the only coverage available in some places. When the GSM version of the Treo 650 comes out, I want to get it and switch over. My thought is that by getting a GSM T650 phone (which does not have analog - none of the Treo phones do) and switching service to Cingular, I could also get a separate and smaller GSM phone which has digital and analog coverage and I could swap the Sim card to this other phone when I need analog coverage or when I just want to carry around a smaller phone. I am not that techincally inclined and so I thought I would post this and ask for opinions as to whether this will work. All thoughts are welcome.
    You say you hve analog available which leads me to believe that you are with ATT, which has still a large analog base. Cingular bought ATT and will slowly be phasing out analog altogether which means there will be fewer analog markets but increased digital.

But until that time youare absolutely right, you can switch your sim card back and forth without problems! One of the highlights of GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Curious George
    I currently have a Kyocera 7135 with Verizon service. This phone has analog and digital service. The analog comes in handy when I am at my summer house up in the mountains where cell coverage is spotty and analog is the only coverage available in some places. When the GSM version of the Treo 650 comes out, I want to get it and switch over. My thought is that by getting a GSM T650 phone (which does not have analog - none of the Treo phones do) and switching service to Cingular, I could also get a separate and smaller GSM phone which has digital and analog coverage and I could swap the Sim card to this other phone when I need analog coverage or when I just want to carry around a smaller phone. I am not that techincally inclined and so I thought I would post this and ask for opinions as to whether this will work. All thoughts are welcome.
    I am on cingular and Have attempted this with a Nokia 6340 Gait gsm/tdma/analog) Phone and My treo 600 gsm ,,,, I Wont work due to the way the analog phone has to be setup ....
    Switching your sim into another phone will work, it's one of the advantages of GSM.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the replies. I know that switching a Sim card from a GSM T650 to another phone will work for digital phone service, but I want to figure out if I will be able to use analog service (roaming or otherwise) on this other phone as a backup to the digital service. Barney, it sounds like you tried to do what I would like to do without success. With your Nokia 6340 were you only able to use digital service, even though the phone was analog capable? Did this have something to do with your service contract with your Treo, which only anticipated your using digital service?
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    I swap my SIM between my GSM Treo and a Siemens S46. That gives me TDMA coverage and GSM coverage. There are a couple of phones that give you all three. It should work the same way. The important trick is to make sure Cingular thinks the little phone is your real phone and sets that pohne up to work on all three types (GSM/TDMA/analog). You should then be able to swap the SIM into your treo.

The big question is does Cingular/AT&T still offer any of these phones?
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
  7.    #7  
    Santa, Thanks for that reply. I think you are probably right. I would then just have to buy the T650 without the benefit of a carrier subsidy reducing the purchase price (as I would have already purchased the small phone with the service contract). Anybody have any good suggestions on any small phones still available from Cingular/At&T/T-Mobile which work on GSM, TDMA, and analog?
    I had the Nokia prior to buying the t600 & tried just taking the sim out and installing it in the treo that wouldnt work for me the Cingular folds told Me that the setup on thier end would not allow it due to the account having to be setup using the ESN number for the nokia ??? Not completly sure why it wont work But basically they Didnt want to take the Time to try to Make it work, Maybe you could find an office that would be willing to work with you.. Good luck.
    I have a 600 GSM that would not work in small towns in Utah or Colorado. My wife has an Erricson T-28 World phone (analogue + Digital) and it worked fine in those areas. We both use Cingular as a service provider.
  10.    #10  
    Any other suggestions for any small phones still available from Cingular/At&T/T-Mobile which work on GSM, TDMA, and analog?
    Quote Originally Posted by Curious George
    Any other suggestions for any small phones still available from Cingular/At&T/T-Mobile which work on GSM, TDMA, and analog?
    Nokia 6340i Gait phone works on all of the above...
    BUT i dont believe that Cingular is allowing them to be activated anymore.. Trying to Push everyone to straight gsm
    Yes, it will work. I've done this (albeit with a Nokia 6340i and another phone - a 6230b.) What you have to do is call Cingular and tell them that you have a GAIT phone (tell them the model) and give them the ESN and IMEI. Wait a few hours, then you'll have GSM/TDMA/AMPS coverage on the second phone. Any time you want, switch your SIM back to your Treo!
  13.    #13  
    Barney and Difusion, thanks a lot for the great advice. I will try to get my hands on a Nokia 6340i (EBAY most likely) and activate it with Cingular. Then when I get my GSM T650 I should be in business. I will report back on whether I am successful.
  14.    #14  
    I just looked on EBAY and see a lot of 6340i Nokia phones for sale, but most do not come with a SIM card. Would it be a problem to use one of these phones for what I have in mind? How would I get a hold of a SIM card that would work for GSM/TDMA/AMPS(analog) if it ddin't already come with the phone? Any thoughts?
    The sim only controls the GSM portion of the phone so You can just get one from cingular
  16.    #16  
    I talked to a guy at a Cingular store today who claims that Cingular will no longer active new TDMA/analog coverage on any phone. ALL new activations are GSM only. So while they would activate a Nokia 6340i GAIT phone, only the GSM would function, apparently. I guess I could try T-Mobile - they are the only other GSM game around.