Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    If anyone knows of a product that fits my needs, I would greatly appreciate any info.

I have a Treo 650 with Innopocket's 650 case (case impressions here), which shields the keyboard. Of course, there's one situation I didn't think of where I really need the KB but really don't want to open the case: when navigating automated phone systems that don't support voice recognition (voice mail systems, most businesses' main numbers, etc.). The "extra digits" function in the base Phone app gets me past login info, but preset values don't work from there since I need to select digits on the fly. I've done my fair share of reasearch but haven't found anything that works so far.

Here are the 3 high-level type of utils that come to mind, in order of preference, and the limitations that make the apps I've come across useless for me:

1) Voice dialing: Would provide Treo-based voice recognition for when the big, bad server on the other end doesn't have it, but I've yet to come across a voice dialer that can stay active once the call is initiated. I suppose it would also have to be trainable to my voice (not universal recognition like Treo Voice Dialing) to prevent the system voice on the other end from triggering touch tones.

2) A replacement for the Phone app or a complementary program that allows 5-way navigation of the on-screen dial pad. Must admit I haven't researched this category as much as the others.

3) A DA or similar "mini-app" that allows numeric entry with the 5-way. Same idea as #2 but not as integrated into the phone app. Of course, it would play nice enough with the Phone app to plug the digits into Phone, thereby triggering touch tones. Tried the old acNumKB but it won't even launch on the 650, let alone support the 5-way. Also tried a freeware called NavKey, but it's way too complicated to be practical.

Any suggestions, folks? I'd really appreciate it. Except for this one very irritating scenario, I love my Innopocket. I don't want to resort to switching cases or - aack - Dremeling off the bottom half of the Innopocket face!
    Is there a reason you can't just tap on the on-screen dial pad? Seems like that accomplishes the same thing as #2.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    I can't tap the touch screen b/c the case has a hard, clear plastic cover over the screen. The touch screen is just as inaccessible for input as the keyboard when the case is closed. The only input methods I have w/ the case closed are the buttons above the main keyboard (DPad, red & green phone buttons, etc.), the side buttons, and voice via the mic.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    OK, I can sorta rig TAKEphONE to do this, but it's pretty cumbersome. TAKEphONE is a great app and Shimon is very responsive. But I can't see paying $20, eating up half a meg, and making several keypresses just to make a DTMF tone while on a call.

Anyone know of a voice dialer with a stay-active-in-call option? Thanks!
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster