1. ceb
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    I upgraded from the 600 to the 650 last week and must have something terribly wrong.

First, I uninstalled the Palm software, Pocketmirror and Docs to Go. Then I renamed the Palm folder to “old palm.” I restarted the computer and ran “Regedit,” did a search for “palm” and deleted those keys (a whole bunch). I then re-ran the search using “handspring” and “treo” and deleted more keys.

After a restart I installed the files from the CD, but didn’t hotsync. I reinstalled Docs to Go and beamed the following PRC files from my 600 to the 650:

Automobil 3.1 (also beamed the data file)
    Backupbuddy (latest ver for the 650)
    BeamPro 3.2
    Bejeweled 2.0
    Bob’s Alarm 3.48
    Chess Tiger 1.5
    Datashield (with DB)
    Datebook 5 (with Icons) ver for 650
    Directory Assistant 2.?
    HoHo
    Klondike
    LoanwizPro (with DB)
    Megacalc
    Pockettunes 3.06
    Tapdial
    Today 1
    Uninstall 3.20
    Workouts
    ZLauncher 5

I then started each program and reentered my registration info and spent hours setting up the preferences for each program.

Unfortunately everything works. I have 7.7 MB of memory left and haven’t had one reset. I tried everything but Pocket Tunes and DA and I’ve no hiccups – where did I screw up?

I so much wanted to join the ranks of the whiners, so here goes…..

The fact that they made the 650 a tad wider than the 600 is ridiculous – it makes you think that P1 is in cahoots with the accessory makers to make sure that nothing fits – I had to heat and spread apart my ProClip car cradle to make it fit properly (it fit before, but would have scratched the finish in no time). The charging connection is a joke – how long before that breaks?

The headset connection is awfully iffy, sometimes you have to unplug, then replug the cord for the other folks to hear you – obviously a design problem since many on the board have this symptom.

Bluetooth range is poor. I have a Jabra BT200 headset (for non-bluetooth phones) that I had glued to the side of cradle for my 600. On both the 600 and the 650 (using the dongle plugged into the headset jack), I could park in front of the Dunkin Donuts and get a coffee while still within range. Pairing the Jabra headset with the 650 (without using the dongle) puts me out of range as soon as I get out of my car and get to the sidewalk – doesn’t matter to me because now I can just put my phone in my pocket and the audio quality seems better without the dongle.

Overall, I have found the 650 to be as stable as the 600 (once I got my 600 stable) and memory hasn’t been an issue. I’ll be moving some programs over to the memory card using ZLauncher in a couple of weeks. I’ll also play with some of the custom ROMs when I get a chance – I assume that Shadowmite has a copy of the virgin Sprint ROM so that one can go back if one needs to.

The new BackupBuddy works well, does auto backups and I haven’t turned the radio off yet.

Speaking of radio on, there was a function in one of the programs on my 600 that would automatically turn the phone on after a reset, which program was that (CallFilter, TreoAllegro or what?) and does it work with the 650?

I also noted that mCam (the program that turns your camera off) doesn’t work on the 650. It says it is working, but the camera stays useable – am I just using an old version or is this program DOA on the 650 – I’d rather not stick another piece of sticky foil on my phone (I already have one on the IR port), but would rather just deactivate the camera. Any ideas?

In short – the 650 is technologically superior to the 600, but it doesn’t seem quite as sturdy and the reported hardware problems (sticky P, headset issues) don’t bode well for the future. I hope they’ll fix those on HW revision B and, since the headset doesn’t work two out of three times, we can easily recreate the issue in a Sprint store……
    Cheers

Charles
  2. ceb
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    This is curious - over 60 reads and no responses.

I guess I didn't bash PalmOne enough to get any replies....
    Cheers

Charles
    Try reading through this thread. I believe it covers upgrading issues. (It used to be stickied but apparently isn't anymore.)

http://discussion.treocentral.com/s...ead.php?t=62566
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    Not a comment, but a question...I plan on upgrading from a palm M505 to the Treo 650 GSM as soon as an unlocked/unbranded version is available. I will also be using a different computer to load the palm desktop software. One that has never had palm stuff loaded on it. This is necessary because the Treo will need WIN2k or XP. (My old computer is still WIN98).

So the question is...will this work without causing problems on the Treo. I had planned to copy my M505 backup folder over to the new computer and restore contacts and stuff from that. Will this work? Or is there some more reliable way I should go about this?
    Treo 650 GSM Unlocked-TMobile
  5. ceb
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    From my experience I would not move the 505 folder over, but would use a program like BeamPro to beam all your contact all at once over to the 650. The problem is that programs and other stuff in the backup folder will often bring with them device specific information that'll gum up the new device. If you want to, you could create a folder on your new computer called "old palm stuff" or something like that and move only the PRC files to your new device one at a time
    Cheers

Charles
    Moving your entire backup folder and resyncing is not advised. A lot of people have run into stability problems after doing so. But to get your contacts, calendar, etc. over, there's another simple method.

Go into Palm desktop on your old computer, and File / Export each of the PIM apps (calendar, address, todo and notes). Then copy the exported files to your new computer, and import them into Palm desktop. They'll get sync'd to your new Treo the next time you do a hotsync.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    there's another simple method.

Go into Palm desktop on your old computer, and File / Export .
    This sounds like a good method. Thanks! Can't wait for the unlocked GSM! Sound like it's getting close from info in the other threads here.
    Treo 650 GSM Unlocked-TMobile
    Great post CEB! I too have had the massive "no problems" problem. I'm hoping that something fails soon so i can feel like part of the "in crowd"!
    Quote Originally Posted by ksmith80209
    Great post CEB! I too have had the massive "no problems" problem. I'm hoping that something fails soon so i can feel like part of the "in crowd"!
    he he....ain't that the truth?
    Quote Originally Posted by ceb
    This is curious - over 60 reads and no responses.

I guess I didn't bash PalmOne enough to get any replies....
    You'll get plenty of responses if you post about some "Treo Killer" device

Seriously, my experience with the T650 is similar to yours. I think it's the best Palm phone I've ever tried. I wanted to geta PPC phone, but I didn't like their physical design, or prices.

I have no serious volume problems with bt headsets, except for some popping noise when I'm near my computer wireless network. People I'm calling tell me I'm coming loud and clear when using the HS810 bt headset even as it pops into my ear. I still want to figure out how to use a suitable eargel for clarity in noisy environments. Thus far super glue is the only option coz there are no eragel grips on the HS810.

I loaded plenty of apps, both in the HH and on the SD card. ZLauncher failed to see the apps on the SD card, but MegaLauncher sees them and launches them just fine. I'm using ZLauncher, MegaLauncher, and fileZ because each file manager has its own unique thing.

I'm using Graffiti Anywhere and it's great. I set it up to activate in all applications by simply tapping the bottom left corner of the touch screen.

Using DSL reports mobile speed test showed anywhere from 90 to 120 kbs; not bad for a portable device.

The T650 resolution of 320x320 @64K is great, but I woul've liked a bigger screen (3.5 inch seems standard)

This is not to say that I'm fully satisfied with my T650. Hell, I'm never a completely satisfied customer. The cons are:
    - Keyboard buttons are too close. I tend to press 2 keys at once. Tungsten C keyboard was the best I had
    - Form factor: smooth soap bar, easy to slip out of your hand and fall
    - No strap provision on handheld
    - Palm was too cheap to supply a cradle with the unit. They make us wait 4 months and pay $49.95 for a cradle
    Quote Originally Posted by ksmith80209
    Oh hahaha that's HILARIOUS! Yeah we are all insane liars, we imagining all these problems because we want to be cool! Man, I remember when I was growing up I always wanted to be called a whiner by people who didn't experience any problems BECAUSE THEY READ REPORTS FROM THE FIRST OWNERS WHO ACTUALLY EXPERIENCED THE PROBLEMS AND POSTED ABOUT THEM SO OTHERS WOULD KNOW ABOUT THEM BEFORE THEY CRASHED AND BURNED.

But, hey, what do I know, I'm just a "whiner". Carry on.
  12. ceb
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    "I loaded plenty of apps, both in the HH and on the SD card. ZLauncher failed to see the apps on the SD card, but MegaLauncher sees them and launches them just fine. I'm using ZLauncher, MegaLauncher, and fileZ because each file manager has its own unique thing."

I found the same thing with my 600 when I loaded apps directly to the card.

With the 650, I put everything on the device and will move apps using ZLauncher to the card. Then, I'll copy the card and swap them out everyday. With daily backups that'll assure that I'll never be more than a day old on any restore and will allow me to keep a card in the 650 for immediate backups - but still have a day old Disaster Recovery copy in a safe location
    Cheers

Charles