1.    #1  
    Ok this is bothering me i live in Minnesota where the weather is below 0 F and when ever i am out in the cold for over an hour my treo shuts off and i cant turn it on unless i plug in a charger. then i can turn on the screen and wireless is turned off. arg 5 times now because of the cold.
    Treo 600-Sprint v1.20
    drigout.textamerica.com
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I didn't realize it was that bad. There was a similar post about a month ago but I didn't think that it had that kind of effect on the Treo. I did notice something odd yesterday though when I looked at BatteryGraph; the unit dropped from the mid-70% range to the mid-50% range at around the time I walked into the vet's office. It was -12 C here in Chicago (sorry, the dealer reset my temp screen to celcius) and I walked a short distance while holding the Treo in my hand. I didn't know that the batter had dropped by that much at the time and I can't say for certain that it was the cold as it may have been a reaction to sudden use after having been left on standby since the day before. However, it was litterally a sudden drop from ~55 to ~75 so it might have been the cold temperature.
    Low temperatures usually have an adverse effect on battery life/charges. I'd assume that it was the problem rather than the Treo itself...especially since you say it works with the charger connected.
  4.    #4  
    Well this is what happens if it's in the cold longer than 30 min at around 15 F in my columbia jacket (keeps pretty warm) it shuts off phone and pda no way to turn it on unless I plug it in once i plug it in i can turn on palm then phone.
    Resets will not work it must be pluged it to work again and my battery level is over 1/2 full so it's not a battery life reason it's just the hardware not able to work with the cold. In minnesota as i am sure as in chicago this happends often thank god i have 2 chargers 1 at work one at home so when it shuts off on my way to work i can have it back on at work when i plug it in. Humm maybe i should contact sprint about this it's been 11 month since i have had the phone.
    Treo 600-Sprint v1.20
    drigout.textamerica.com
    I've had mixed... seems like the threshold is about 10 degrees F.

The good: I skied all day in 10 degrees with the 600 in my pocket running business connect (work emailing me on the slopes!), and pocket tunes for 5 hours... then it was dead.

the bad: One other time at -10 F the treo was in a backpack all day while backcountry skiing... when I turned it on the screen looked all black, and then died immediately.. this on a fresh charge and no use all day. that was the same day I dropped it in the snow and thought I lost it forever!
    I came back from skiing with the treo...this was my second time going out on the slopes with it, and the temperatures were colder (~2F) this time around. It's hard to say how the device fared, as I managed to crack the screen in the interim between ski trips, but the battery life was decent, given the temperature and that it was repeatedly losing signal and searching for one
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by hansbuehler
    I've had mixed... seems like the threshold is about 10 degrees F.

The good: I skied all day in 10 degrees with the 600 in my pocket running business connect (work emailing me on the slopes!), and pocket tunes for 5 hours... then it was dead.

the bad: One other time at -10 F the treo was in a backpack all day while backcountry skiing... when I turned it on the screen looked all black, and then died immediately.. this on a fresh charge and no use all day. that was the same day I dropped it in the snow and thought I lost it forever!

So it looks like its my treo that is bad. been less than a year since i got it should i return it? cause mine just shuts off completly.
    Treo 600-Sprint v1.20
    drigout.textamerica.com
    Hello,

Kevin from palmOne here. Just for the record, the stated limits for the Treo 600 advise not to store the phone in extreme temperature areas for long periods of time. It is best to store the phone in environments that range from 32º F to 113º F (0º C to 45º C).

Sincerely
    Kevin
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Kevin Michaels
    kevin.michaels@palm.com
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Check out what’s new at
    http://www.palm.com/
    Hmm,
    While it may be best to keep the treo in a comfort range that fact is you should pretty much no go outside for 4 months until spring? I would guess that the voltage is dropping rapidly when it is subjected to the cold and that after 11 months perhaps tha battery is not as good as a new unit may be and when the charger is plugged in the voltage comes up to a point where the phone will respond. As far as the display goes not much you can do when it gets wicked cold.
    I would suggest the palm folks put the phone in their freezer that's about 0 F which is 20 to 30 degrees warmer than MN has been for the past week. HE HE
    Device -> 700p
    The device grave yard:
    Newton MP120 -> Newton MP 130 -> Newton 2100 -> Nino 320 -> Palm IIIc -> Visor Prism -> Kyocera 6035 -> Dell X5 -> Dell X3i ->Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Michaels
    Just for the record, the stated limits for the Treo 600 advise not to store the phone in extreme temperature areas for long periods of time. It is best to store the phone in environments that range from 32º F to 113º F (0º C to 45º C).
    That's a fairly typical operating range for electronic devices but the safe storage range should be much wider. For example, the iPod's operating range is 32° to 95° F and its storage range is -4° to 113° F.

I suspect the Treo should be fine in temperatures somewhat below freezing but may not work as well. The screen, in particular, is probably sensitive to cold. Lithium batteries typically have very wide ranges so should not be the weak link.
    Any LCD that has a reasonably large surface area can be damaged if it freezes.

You will notice the onset of the screen freezing by very s-l-o-w screen refreshes (minus degree celcius will do it).
    If your screen gets too cold resist just turning on your Treo. Let it 'defrost' naturally first.
    www.gsmworld.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo-Treo
    That's a fairly typical operating range for electronic devices but the safe storage range should be much wider. For example, the iPod's operating range is 32° to 95° F and its storage range is -4° to 113° F.
    It helps to keep my iPod in an inside pocket but I am limited to about three runs. In the cold, a great deal of energy is consumed keeping the battery and the device warm.

Seems to me that if one lives in Minnesota, one has more important things to keep warm than one's Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Seems to me that if one lives in Minnesota, one has more important things to keep warm than one's Treo.

Maybe we need a Treo sock similar to the for-fun iPod sock...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    U know how in the winter time your car won't start because the batt. die due to the six feet of snow droped over night. Well the same thing happen with anything that runs on batteries in extreme cold weather freezes up battery cell making your life a living hell. Keep your treo close to your body and u shouldn't have a problem when your outdoors in the cold. And for those of u that skii or always cracking your screen get a metal case for it.
    Protect your investments (treos). My treo has a nannygoat coat.
    LMAO
    Well, I left my 600 in the car last night (Toronto area). When I turned it on, the screen was all orange and blue - looked like an animated cracked windshield. No liquid spillage anywhere, just this wierd pattern. Nothing seemed to work (of course I couldn't tell because I could see anything on the screen). Anyway, I called Rogers Wireless and they are sendiing me a new 600 in the mail. Now that's service! Thanks Rogers...
    Well, I always let my laptop warm-up prior to using it if it's been in a cold car trunk (or whatever). Same for all electronics. If outside (all day) try putting under your arm for a bit prior to using it.