1.    #1  
    Please help. My 650 is going through constant random resets suddenly after being stable since mid-December (my last hard reset). The random resets happen now on regular basis every 15-30 minutes while sitting idle. (I have nothing set to sync to fetch mail as I do it manually).

Upon ##377 after each reset, it always shows up as "DataMgr.c, Line 8694: DmWrite: DmWriteCheck failed". Application seems to be whatever is running at the time, i.e. "Security" (phone is locked usually when sitting idle), "Web", "Chatter", "Phone", etc. ##377 always shows

"A crash occurred on <date> while running "<app>": DataMgr.c, Line 8694: DmWrite: DmWriteCheck failed"

Again, the system was very stable since mid-December. So I have tried the following with no solution:

1) Removed every application one by one to see if random resets stops ... it happens no matter what

2) Hard reset then restored using Right Backup: same thing

3) Hard reset then restored each application one by one: same thing (basically I restored each app then wait to see if random reset happened. It did).

4) Hard reset, and just left it alone with nothing added, no third party apps to see if it was indeed caused by other apps. Unfortunately, even at "pure" default state right after a hard reset with no apps, random resets still happened 9 minutes after a hard reset.

Now I just don't know what to do. This still happens immediately after a hard reset with no apps added.

I am using Shadowmite's ROM Update #5.

Can someone help me please, as I am totally losing faith as a new Treo owner.
    It's hard to say, as it sounds like you've done just about everything you could to pin it down. But there is always the possibility you have a bad phone. It prolly couldn't hurt to bring it in to a Sprint testing store and see if it fails. If it does you'll (eventually) get a replacement...

PS, it shouldn't matter, but did you flash the phone back to original Sprint Firmware and then add nothing to see results?
  3.    #3  
    I gave up finally and took it to the store. Now I have a replacement and I don't think I was ever this careful with my first born.

Now I am very cautious about adding any apps, custom ROMs, etc. I still don't know what caused my phone to go into random resets even after a hard reset.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    You might try this, pull the battery out of the T650 and then replace it. When I was having the same problems with the resets, I pulled the battery out and that seemed to solve it. Dont know how long it will last but you might try it.
    Quote Originally Posted by vjslater
    Please help. My 650 is going through constant random resets suddenly after being stable since mid-December (my last hard reset). The random resets happen now on regular basis every 15-30 minutes while sitting idle. (I have nothing set to sync to fetch mail as I do it manually).

Upon ##377 after each reset, it always shows up as "DataMgr.c, Line 8694: DmWrite: DmWriteCheck failed". Application seems to be whatever is running at the time, i.e. "Security" (phone is locked usually when sitting idle), "Web", "Chatter", "Phone", etc. ##377 always shows

"A crash occurred on <date> while running "<app>": DataMgr.c, Line 8694: DmWrite: DmWriteCheck failed"

Again, the system was very stable since mid-December. So I have tried the following with no solution:

1) Removed every application one by one to see if random resets stops ... it happens no matter what

2) Hard reset then restored using Right Backup: same thing

3) Hard reset then restored each application one by one: same thing (basically I restored each app then wait to see if random reset happened. It did).

4) Hard reset, and just left it alone with nothing added, no third party apps to see if it was indeed caused by other apps. Unfortunately, even at "pure" default state right after a hard reset with no apps, random resets still happened 9 minutes after a hard reset.

Now I just don't know what to do. This still happens immediately after a hard reset with no apps added.

I am using Shadowmite's ROM Update #5.

Can someone help me please, as I am totally losing faith as a new Treo owner.
    I had this happening with DateBk5 and it turns out that some applications leave the Calendar database dirty with undeleted records. DateBk5 distributes a utility called "dbscan" that will scan the PIM databases and delete bad records. My problems disappeared after using this utility.

Jeff
    Jeff - what about with Agendus? I seem to be having resets after EVERY hotsync and system error log indicates "A reset was caused while running "Contacts" DataMgr.c,line:8694...when I tried dbscan, it seems to want to delete almost every entry in calendar, but the error showed up Contacts - any other ideas?
    Charliec
    Quote Originally Posted by charliec
    Jeff - what about with Agendus? I seem to be having resets after EVERY hotsync and system error log indicates "A reset was caused while running "Contacts" DataMgr.c,line:8694...when I tried dbscan, it seems to want to delete almost every entry in calendar, but the error showed up Contacts - any other ideas?
    Well the contacts DB is part of the new PIM database family. dbScan (I'm assuming you mean the program from Pimlico Software) will also scan your cantacts DB I think. I always let dbScan delete all of the records it needs to delete. I have also had people have trouble when their contact entries has used the new birthday information field. Their is a sticky post in this forum about this problem.

Hope this helps.

Jeff
    I have the same problems - my SPrint 650 was fine for months - no random resets. Then it started the MMnotify and DataMgr.c resets - multiple day. I did a hard reset and have not sync'd or installed anything so this is a virgin phone. One hour later..poof.

Has SPrint sent an over the air update maybe that introduced this?

Is it some HW issue - weird it was fine for so long before this started...

Did replacing the phone stop it for you?

Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by robotron
    I have the same problems - my SPrint 650 was fine for months - no random resets. Then it started the MMnotify and DataMgr.c resets - multiple day. I did a hard reset and have not sync'd or installed anything so this is a virgin phone. One hour later..poof.

Has SPrint sent an over the air update maybe that introduced this?

Is it some HW issue - weird it was fine for so long before this started...

Did replacing the phone stop it for you?

Thoughts?
    This is most probably caused by a corrupted database in one of your resource databases. Did you restore from a backup after you did the hard reset? If you did this, then more than likely you restored the problem. I would first look at the calendar/contacts database. Then I would look at the Saved Preferences and the Unsaved Preferences databases.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    This is most probably caused by a corrupted database in one of your resource databases. Did you restore from a backup after you did the hard reset? If you did this, then more than likely you restored the problem. I would first look at the calendar/contacts database. Then I would look at the Saved Preferences and the Unsaved Preferences databases.

Jeff
    Thx Jeff - that is the weird part - no I did not do a sync or restore - I did a hard reset and then enabled the phone and made one test call. It worked for the call. I left it sitting there and poof a soft reset after awhile - I was not touching it at the time. DataMgr.c, same line as always - Line 8694.

I was was going to start installing things one at a time but already had the soft reset. Also, I have never had any contacts or camedar entries - I cleared them out as I use Goodlink. And I ran dbscan before trying the hard reset..sigh.

1) Is anyone else getting the resets referencing the same line in DataMgr.c - if so maybe we can pinpoint this.
    I am getting the same thing but it's line 8898.
    After 10 trouble-free months with the Treo650 now I started getting this nasty DataMgr DMWriteCheck failed reset error, and always at Line 8872. The problem appeared to be somewhere in the DateBook database. Any application that had to read through the whole database crashed with this error and caused a reset. It happened in HotSync, DBScan, and DateBk5 (in the Purge function).

I don't know what corrupted the database but I suspect MissingSync 5.0.2.

After playing around with several options (and after doing a BackupMan to the SD Card), I found that the only solution was to delete the Calendar, DateBook, Task and ToDo databases from the Treo650, open the Calendar and Task apps to recreate empty databases and then use HotSync to override the Palm from the desktop.

Regards
    Peter
    http://www.peterwalker.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter-BKK
    After 10 trouble-free months with the Treo650 now I started getting this nasty DataMgr DMWriteCheck failed reset error, and always at Line 8872. The problem appeared to be somewhere in the DateBook database. Any application that had to read through the whole database crashed with this error and caused a reset. It happened in HotSync, DBScan, and DateBk5 (in the Purge function).

I don't know what corrupted the database but I suspect MissingSync 5.0.2.

After playing around with several options (and after doing a BackupMan to the SD Card), I found that the only solution was to delete the Calendar, DateBook, Task and ToDo databases from the Treo650, open the Calendar and Task apps to recreate empty databases and then use HotSync to override the Palm from the desktop.

Regards
    Peter
    This seems to be the best solution to the stupid PIM problems that so often haunt us: resets, hanged hotsync, etc. 3 cheers to you, Peter.