1.    #1  
    I am generally very impressed with Chatter. In reviewing some of the other posts, it appears that it is almost an ideal solution for some. Perhaps its my email host, or the way I have it configured, but I am having some problems:

• When online, it uses a lot of battery power. If I leave Chatter in online mode for a day, with moderate Treo use, my battery is almost gone by the end of the day. I find myself not using my Treo for fear that I will run out of juice. Is there anything that can be done to conserve power in online mode?

• Even though it appears to be online and connected, I am not receiving emails. If I go offline and and a QuickSync, I immediately get all my emails that I haven't been receiving. Or I can go to VersaMail/Snapper and get my email. Other times, it will work in online mode. It is very inconsistent.

• Graying out deleted messages is confusing. It would be better if the 'd' shortcut had the same effect in the list view as does the [X] button in the message view.

These are not meant to be criticisms. I just want to experience the full potential of the program. I could use some tips.
    Quote Originally Posted by wadeemmert
    • Even though it appears to be online and connected, I am not receiving emails. If I go offline and and a QuickSync, I immediately get all my emails that I haven't been receiving. Or I can go to VersaMail/Snapper and get my email. Other times, it will work in online mode. It is very inconsistent.

I am seeing this on my 650 also.

Art
    Hi.

#1: Yes, Chatter uses a fair amount of battery to stay online, but sometimes excessive use is caused by setup and/or server issues.

#2: It sounds as though your server doesn't support IDLE, although I can't be sure without seeing a log. If this is true, it helps explain #1. Can you make me a log covering a few hours of usage and I'll check this out for you? (Instructions in a sticky thread in this forum).

#3: Well, hrm, maybe. Actually, I think that Message View should be more like Folder View. The messages are greyed out so that there's an opportunity to "undo" the deletion using "Undelete".

Marc
  4.    #4  
    #1: Yes, Chatter uses a fair amount of battery to stay online, but sometimes excessive use is caused by setup and/or server issues.
    Marc
    Can you be more specific? What can I do about the setup to help conserve power while in online mode?

#2: It sounds as though your server doesn't support IDLE, although I can't be sure without seeing a log. If this is true, it helps explain #1. Can you make me a log covering a few hours of usage and I'll check this out for you? (Instructions in a sticky thread in this forum).
    I'll try, thanks.

#3: Well, hrm, maybe. Actually, I think that Message View should be more like Folder View. The messages are greyed out so that there's an opportunity to "undo" the deletion using "Undelete".
    If the messages are moved to a trash folder when you delete, they could still be an opportunity to undo the deletion, while also keeping the message list screen clean. Just my two cents.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wadeemmert
    Can you be more specific? What can I do about the setup to help conserve power while in online mode?

I'll try, thanks.

If the messages are moved to a trash folder when you delete, they could still be an opportunity to undo the deletion, while also keeping the message list screen clean. Just my two cents.
    Wadeemmert -

What carrier are you using? I used chatter with VZW T600, and I found the drain on my battery excessive. I switched to Sprint T650, and the battery usage is much better than with VZW. Perhaps the carrier's network is causing drain by keeping your data connection active (green arrows) excessively - this is what happened for me with Verizon.
  6.    #6  
    ambtreo, I have a Treo 650, with Sprint, of course.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Wadeemmert -

The only other suggestion I can think of is when the T650 is in a marginal (1 bar or less) coverage area, Chatter is constantly trying to maintain the online data connection. This could be causing excessive battery usage as well. When I am in marginal coverage areas, I go offline for all my accounts and either manually quicksync or schedule quicksyncs. Good luck.
    wadeemmert -

Yeah, if you don't mind not getting email the instant they come in, you can set up Chatter to do scheduled syncs ("QuickSync") every n minutes. I have Verizon too and find I can generally get through the day with a QuickSync every 15 minutes. I also use Treo 600 Connection Manager(http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...1&prodID=53537) to take the Treo offline after 3 minutes of inactivity, which helps.

Jesse
    wadeemmert - With my Sprint T650, I get about 16 hours on a charge, and I consider that acceptable. I'd still suggest sending me a log of a few hours' activity so I can see if anything else unusual is going on.

Marc
    Marc,

Testing Chatter and have high hopes - it's excellent in concept. I have a VPN issue with Mergic, but Rob at Mergic is looking into it, and has been very responsive.

I just upgraded to 18.5, and am seeing the same behavior that wadeemmert is seeing in #2. While connected and online, I'm not getting new e-mail. If I go offline and quicksync, it works. When I go back online, Chatter appears to go online fine, but I never get any mail.

Chatter had been retrieving mail fine in versions prior to 18.2, I beleive.

I'm using an Exchange 2000 server, so IDLE is not the problem for me.
    Jeff

Motorola StarTac => Cingular Treo 270 => Sprint Treo 600 => Sprint Treo 650 => Sprint Treo 700p
    I just realized somthing about my earlier post.

In earlier beta versions, when I would go online, Chatter appeared to correctly restart the Vision data connection and Mergic VPN if either had dropped. This no longer occurs, and might be part of my problem.
    Jeff

Motorola StarTac => Cingular Treo 270 => Sprint Treo 600 => Sprint Treo 650 => Sprint Treo 700p
    Mark,

Just found my problem. I had marked that mailbox as "offline" in the Deliver panel. For some reason tho - the box menu still provided a go online option, but when selected it would not really go online. Is it possible to grey out that menu selection if the mailbox is marked offline (to remind that it can't go online)? So it's my fault - Error ID 10T. I'll go find the latest manual and read it again.
    Jeff

jmcnaught - In 18.4 and later, Go Online works with Mailboxes that are "offline". It basically brings the folder online manually, and must be put back offline manually.

Marc
    Thanks for the clarification. I'll play with it with that in mind. I think tho, that it did not work for me, but I'll re-check.

Also, when I mailed myself a sound file (blah.amr) to VersaMail, it properly registers in the sounds, but does not with Chatter, it seems to be saved in the filesystem with the Chatter creater name, and can't be used.
    Jeff

jmcnaught - After you loaded the sound file, what did you do? (You should use "Open")

Marc
    When I received the attachment, I believe I selected save, that was my problem. I'll test again to make sure, sorry for my confusion.
    Jeff