Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 59
  1.    #1  
    I know it has been discussed million times. I am just so frustrated with PalmOne has invested so much money on the product. They have heard so many complain by users like us from the Treo 600 and they still manage to include poor IR port. My friend owes ipaq he was able to use the remote control program from about 15 feet. Can some one confirmed me if software side could accomplish the stronger signal. If not, what are my options to make my Treo 650 stronger bim signal?

    Idea 1 glue on top magnifying glass. Any other ideas...
  2. #2  
    Most iPaqs have Consumer grade IR, meaning they have much better range. It's strictly a hardware issue, nothing software can do to get that.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  3. #3  
    unfortunately, the IR capability in Palm handhelds was never meant for anything more than IR beaming to another PDA at close range.
    .
    .....
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  4.    #4  
    If they build them why not make a use out of them?
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentMember
    If they build them why not make a use out of them?
    Why not, indeed.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentMember
    I know it has been discussed million times. I am just so frustrated with PalmOne has invested so much money on the product. They have heard so many complain by users like us from the Treo 600 and they still manage to include poor IR port. My friend owes ipaq he was able to use the remote control program from about 15 feet. Can some one confirmed me if software side could accomplish the stronger signal. If not, what are my options to make my Treo 650 stronger bim signal?

    Idea 1 glue on top magnifying glass. Any other ideas...

    Just because your too lazy to pick up your remote and change the channel Palmone is guilty of poor design for low strength IR? Cmon.

    It was never billed as a replacement remote and just because someone wrote software to accomplish it doesntmean palmone or any other hardware manufacturer has to support it.

    I have to wonder, have you posted a thread on remotecentral.com complaining because the pronto from philips wont make phone calls or surf the web?? Just because its a remote doesnt mean it cant be a phone right? That's the logic youre using here.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  7. #7  
    Stronger IR means more battery power down the drain. Id rather have my battery. There are a list of priorities developers have to address. Im sure IR strength was at the very bottom of the list.
  8. #8  
    and damnit, why can't i open my garage door with this thing???
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Just because your too lazy to pick up your remote and change the channel Palmone is guilty of poor design for low strength IR? Cmon.

    It was never billed as a replacement remote and just because someone wrote software to accomplish it doesntmean palmone or any other hardware manufacturer has to support it.

    I have to wonder, have you posted a thread on remotecentral.com complaining because the pronto from philips wont make phone calls or surf the web?? Just because its a remote doesnt mean it cant be a phone right? That's the logic youre using here.
    Whoo Whoof? Where is all this anger coming from?
  10. icewing's Avatar
    Posts
    77 Posts
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    #10  
    I was really hoping that I'd be able to zap my dog with it to stop him from barking....guess I'll have to return it....
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    and damnit, why can't i open my garage door with this thing???
    Using VNC to control your home PC, and X10 controllers, you can open your garage door with it.

    Using the same approach with an X10 IR blaster, you can use that to increase your range for devices in your house.

    c
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Whoo Whoof? Where is all this anger coming from?
    Not angry, just annoyed by all the b!tching about palmone. gets old.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Just because your too lazy to pick up your remote and change the channel Palmone is guilty of poor design for low strength IR? Cmon.

    It was never billed as a replacement remote and just because someone wrote software to accomplish it doesntmean palmone or any other hardware manufacturer has to support it.

    I have to wonder, have you posted a thread on remotecentral.com complaining because the pronto from philips wont make phone calls or surf the web?? Just because its a remote doesnt mean it cant be a phone right? That's the logic youre using here.
    Hehe, exactly what I was thinking!
  14. #14  
    Maybe his style could have been different but the question is valid in my opinion.he stated that a competitor product had the capability,so the question is not as silly as zapping a dog or one of laziness.the question of "why doesn't Toyota put DVD players in vans" would have been viewed as silly until other vans started doing so.also,several palm developers have written applications to use palm ir as a TV remote.I would imagine that palm knows about this and sees the need.I think the treo platform would be great as a remote control platform and would value that capability.I am not lazy but would love to combine my tivo,DVD,VCR,stereo,TV,etc remotes into one unit with the ability to program modes (watch a movie).in other words,give the guy a break!
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by camartin
    ....,several palm developers have written applications to use palm ir as a TV remote.I would imagine that palm knows about this and sees the need.I think the treo platform would be great as a remote control platform and would value that capability.I am not lazy but would love to combine my tivo,DVD,VCR,stereo,TV,etc remotes into one unit with the ability to program modes (watch a movie).in other words,give the guy a break!
    so using your logic the treo is poorly designed because it doesnt have a built in toilet paper dispenser. I mean "developers" have created many different products so palm surely must see the need.

    If you want a multi function universal programmable remote, buy one. There are many available.

    What's next? Someone will want the treo to wash cars, because lots of people have cars.

    Point is, folks it's a convergent device, NOT a "do everything you can imagine and then some" device. Get over it.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  16. ceb
    ceb is offline
    ceb's Avatar
    Posts
    253 Posts
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    #16  
    When I got my first palm I added every possible program. After a while I found myself using only those programs that enhanced the functionality of the built in programs (Datebook 5 instead of Calendar, Contacts 5 instead of Contacts etc.) as well as some task specific programs that were originally intended as palm programs and that the palm was intended to work with.

    The palm platform was never intended to be used to control your TV, garage door or your car door locks. People have built these programs that work with a select few devices ("I have a XXX device and I want to change channels, so I'll write a program for that, which may, or may not, work with other devices")

    IR was built into these devices to facilitate the transfer of data (specifically contacts) between palm devices - it was not intended to control a TV from 30 ft away......
    Cheers

    Charles
  17. #17  
    The real question is where is the bluetooth on the TV. $6,000 for plasma and no bluetooth. What were the manufactores thinking and now they want to blame the problem on a poor little phone. It is ready, where are they.
  18. #18  
    I think the real question is why the IR has been compromised over the years. If you remember Palm used to have a commercial that showed two people falling in love at first sight in two different subway cars passing in opposite directions. And I can't remember if the chick beams the dude or the dude beams the chick but anyway they beam to exchange numbers.

    Now, you would be within smelling distance to beam anyone.
  19. ceb
    ceb is offline
    ceb's Avatar
    Posts
    253 Posts
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    #19  
    maybe palm decided that long distance relationships won't work.....
    Cheers

    Charles
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    so using your logic the treo is poorly designed because it doesnt have a built in toilet paper dispenser. I mean "developers" have created many different products so palm surely must see the need.

    If you want a multi function universal programmable remote, buy one. There are many available.

    What's next? Someone will want the treo to wash cars, because lots of people have cars.

    Point is, folks it's a convergent device, NOT a "do everything you can imagine and then some" device. Get over it..
    Anyway (back to the real debate), how many universal programmable remotes can be purchased for $30 (price of a palm app) with a touch screen, displays that morph to the type of use (e.g., Tivo), have an easily updateable list of IR codes and are always charged and handy. I think boosting the IR port would be a great add as long as users could control when IR is enabled (to prevent battery drain).
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions