Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by noreault
    The real question is where is the bluetooth on the TV. $6,000 for plasma and no bluetooth. What were the manufactores thinking and now they want to blame the problem on a poor little phone. It is ready, where are they.
    LOL
    I've thought for awhile that a great product would be a little Bluetooth to IR converter. You plug it in and place it in front of your TV, or maybe even in your stereo cabinet, you remap your remote control software to transmit via bluetooth and the little adapter does the conversion. You get 30 ft range, eliminate line of site requirement and you can turn down the volume on the TV when you are in the next room answering the phone. Sweet.
    One for All has good IR remotes for <$15. Treo shouldn't be used as a remote IMHO.
    -----------------------------
    Treo 650 rocks!

Get a FREE iPod Photo! Use the URL below:

Free iPod! Click Here!
    Making the IR more powerful might well be a nice feature, but it's certainly not core to the functionality of the Treo. The IR port does what it was designed for (beaming data to other handhelds) perfectly well.

There is no single device on the market that does everything well. Every device involves compromises, whether it be a remote control, a handheld PDA, a notebook computer or a supercomputer. If remote control functionality is a key requirement, buy something other than a Treo. Or buy a Treo and a programmable remote control. Radio Shack sells several.

But to blame Palm for 'poor product design' because they sell a device that does what it needs to do, rather than what you would like it to do, is silly. If Palm put every feature that every potential buyer wanted into the device, it would be as big as notebook, and even less useful.

BTW, I think there are lots of examples of poor design on the 650. This just isn't one of them. Some of my main gripes: The proprieatry power connector is junk. It shouldn't have been directional at all, and the tiny little molded arrow to indicate which side is up is impossible to see in dim light. A simple, standard barrel connector (like on most cell phones) would have worked admirably. It, and the sync connector, also pull out way too easily, and seem really cheaply made. Oh, yeah. Who's bright idea was it to have the power cord plug in at the Palm end of the connector, instead of near the other end like on the 600. Now I have two wires snaking accross my desk to the Treo, instead of one.

The lack of any indication on screen that you've muted the sound is stupid: All of my family's "free" phones have that feature. They all have a profile function, too, which Palm can't seem to figure out.

The mic's sound quality is adequate at best, and awful in noisy environments, notwithstanding the yet to be released sound quality patch (yes, I'm familiar with Shadowmite's work--but the phone shouldn't have been released with such a problem in the first place).

The inability to dim the keyboard is stooopid, especially when Palm made a big deal about the screen being adjustable over a wider range. Didn't anyone ever try to use this is a dark room, and realize the keyboard was blinding?

And the decision to use NVRAM with a 512 byte sector size, combined with only 32MB of memory, was really dumb. Yes, ZLauncher is a great workaround, but a workaround shouldn't be necessary.

So yes, Palm made lots of dumb design decisions, but I can't say the IR port is one of them.

Oh, in case anyone is wondering, I am, overall, very happy with my 650. I would just be a lot happier if Palm had done it right in the first place.
    Last edited by meyerweb; 01/18/2005 at 12:15 PM.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by pshady
    One for All has good IR remotes for <$15. Treo shouldn't be used as a remote IMHO.
    As I sit here, I can count 10 remotes in the room. Three of them claim to be "universal." Of course if that were true, I would not need ten. I can always find my Treo (sometimes I have to call it) but am always hunting a remote. I am not much on the morality of using a Treo as a remote but I know a little about the convenience of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    As I sit here, I can count 10 remotes in the room. Three of them claim to be "universal." Of course if that were true, I would not need ten. I can always find my Treo (sometimes I have to call it) but am always hunting a remote. I am not much on the morality of using a Treo as a remote but I know a little about the convenience of it.
    As to the other posts. I agree that IR power isn't a design flaw but I would argue that it is a missed opportunity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    and damnit, why can't i open my garage door with this thing???

Sheesh! Garage door opening capabilities have been available since the dawn of cell phones...Just throw the thing at the switch and bingo...open door. It's also been known to work on windows...although the results may not be as satisfying.
    Actually, if the IR port was more powerful you'd have some security concerns when beaming applications and data. You're beaming your business card to someone and 4 others in the vicinity would have access to the data.

I'm sure you could modify the Treo to put a more powerful IR transmitter in place....not that it would be easy, but probably possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by noreault
    The real question is where is the bluetooth on the TV. $6,000 for plasma and no bluetooth. What were the manufactores thinking and now they want to blame the problem on a poor little phone. It is ready, where are they.
    Bluetooth on a Palm device is NOT ready for anything like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by camartin
    As to the other posts. I agree that IR power isn't a design flaw but I would argue that it is a missed opportunity.
    I would argue that it is one of Palm's design flaws.

Especially with all other Bluetooth phones making the Salling Clicker so popular. Why did this happen? Because they didn't have IR capabilities and using the phone as a remote control device was handy and convenient (just like VNC is handy and convenient).

Now the doublely unfortunate thing here is that Palm not only underpowers/cripples IR, but they also cripple Bluetooth so both of these possibilities are limited in their usefulness, as compared to others.
    This is ridiculous, its bad enough when you lose your remote, and spend half an hour looking under couches, and now you want to subject your phone to this?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    This is ridiculous, its bad enough when you lose your remote, and spend half an hour looking under couches, and now you want to subject your phone to this?
    That is one way of looking at it. Another is that remote controls have feet.
    Quote Originally Posted by camartin
    Anyway (back to the real debate), how many universal programmable remotes can be purchased for $30 (price of a palm app) with a touch screen, displays that morph to the type of use (e.g., Tivo), have an easily updateable list of IR codes and are always charged and handy. I think boosting the IR port would be a great add as long as users could control when IR is enabled (to prevent battery drain).
    Ok, so i setup my Treo to control every other gizmo in the house and become the way cool techno-geek! Now tell me... what happens when I leave for work tomorrow morning and the Treo is in my pocket? Does that mean nobody else in the house can watch TV while I'm gone? Convergence is great, but this takes it a step too far IMHO.

As for good, programmable remotes, take a look at one of my other regular forums: JP1. You'd be amazed at what you can do with a sub-$50 remote!
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Been thinking, while we're at it,

My Treo has a built in camera. Why is it of such poor quality? Why can I not attach my Canon 28-135mm lens to it? And a tripod would be useful too.

Hmmm...inferior IR, inferior camera...The more i rethink this, the more I see the light. What were you thinking PalmOne?!?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    hahahahaha
    How many times have you wished you could ring your remote to track it down?

Besides, one of the benefits of having a phone function as a remote would be that you always know where it is – it's not like we keep losing the phone under the cushions (though I'm certain it has happened to someone).

The other benefit would be that we could have the stereo's volume turned down automatically (via The Salling Clicker for Palm OS or some reasonable facsimile) when the phone rings, or have the DVD player automatically pause, then we can pick right back up where we left off automatically when you hang up.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    Ok, so i setup my Treo to control every other gizmo in the house and become the way cool techno-geek! Now tell me... what happens when I leave for work tomorrow morning and the Treo is in my pocket? Does that mean nobody else in the house can watch TV while I'm gone? Convergence is great, but this takes it a step too far IMHO.
    Don't be ridiculous. Are you saying you're significant other doesn't have her own phone or that your TV didn't come with a remote?

Sheesh! These two devices are BEGGING for convergence. Read my previous post.
    Last edited by archie; 01/19/2005 at 12:06 AM.
    archie we know from many other posts in many other threads that you really arent a fan. We got it. move on.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Not to be personal but how many times do you end posts with get over it or move on?if you don't enjoy the thread,move on.if you don't like this feedback,get over it.
    I have to add my 2¢ as well. I think a Treo 650 working as a remote would be cool, but man I don't want that really. I can think of all the problems it would cause. I get a phoen call and leave the room, what does my wife do then? No remote for her! That's just an example. Ultimately that is why I bought a real universal remote. It does a better job than the Treo could anyway I think and it was only around $125. The reason it works so well is because that is all it is trying to do. It isn't trying to be 10 different devices at once, just trying to be 10 or more remotes at once.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast