Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    heya all!

just switched over to the treo 650 from a sanyo 5300.

mmmmmmm!

i used to use sprint's 'PCS Connection Manager' and a USB cable to get internet on my laptop. i see a ton of talk about DUN via bluetooth - but my laptop doesn't have a bluetooth adapter (yet).

i've searched and searched, but to no avail - is there a way to get the treo to work via the hotsync cable for internet access on a laptop?

(i've already successfully flashed to shadowmite's ROM #3)

thanks in advance!
    The best way is using PDAnet. It cost, but it is worth it.
    http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    nifty, thx!
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    geez, now that i know what to look for, there's a ton of hits on the board, heh!

thx again druce!
    You never really needed the connection manager all that software did was time you out. The only way to get your 650 to work like the 5300 would be to make sure it can be added as a modem and then you just make a dialup networking file by hand on your PC then dial the phone so I would guess you'd have to come up with some drivers for your pc to make the 650 act as a modem. Have you checked Future Dials web site to see if they have any drivers?? I bet they won't have it since the Palm desktop does pretty much everything thier software does. You'll probably have to use the DUN.
    Device -> 700p
    The device grave yard:
    Newton MP120 -> Newton MP 130 -> Newton 2100 -> Nino 320 -> Palm IIIc -> Visor Prism -> Kyocera 6035 -> Dell X5 -> Dell X3i ->Treo 650
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    heya! i have not checked...

but this got me working this weekend and i plan on getting a bluetooth adapter which, from what i read, will get around this all togther. (not mention make it more convinient being wireless!)

ty though! and thx for the explanation on the connection manager! i always ran a 'ping -t' in the background to keep it alive, ha ha!
    Quote Originally Posted by Druce MacFarlane
    The best way is using PDAnet. It cost, but it is worth it.
    http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/
    This thing rocks! The speed is amazing, and the connection is very simple. I downloaded a demo version. Anyone know how long the demo lasts? My laptop does not have bluetooth. So for the cost of bluetooth dongle, I may shell out the money for this software. Is it worth it or should I go the Shadowmite's patch?
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    according to pdanet's site, the demo works for 15 days.
    Quote Originally Posted by bestoverall
    This thing rocks! The speed is amazing, and the connection is very simple. I downloaded a demo version. Anyone know how long the demo lasts? My laptop does not have bluetooth. So for the cost of bluetooth dongle, I may shell out the money for this software. Is it worth it or should I go the Shadowmite's patch?
    I believe the demo lasts for 15 days.

Shadowmite's patch is great. The problem is that DUN on the 650 is not really ready for prime time and can cause stability issues and/or be a hassle to deal with. These issues have nothing to do with the infamous Shadowmite patch because he merely enabled the hidden DUN switch in the bluetooth settings screen. He did not change the phone's ability to do DUN. Just the ability to access it.

My personal experience (I have updated my ROM with patch #3) is that the speed using DUN is typically 56kbps while the PdaNet speeds while using the usb cable are around 145kbps. PdaNet also allows for bluetooth usage but does not have the stability issues that the Shadowmite patch has.
    Visor Deluxe/Visor Platinum/Visor Phone/Treo 180/Treo 270/Treo 300/Treo 650