1.    #1  
    Somebody (not me) just dropped my 650 about 3' on to a hard floor. It landed face down. The person (OK, it was my wife) says that the battery door popped off when it landed. The Treo otherwise looks undamaged. The touch screen still works correctly. However, none of the keyboard buttons EXCEPT the green Send/On button work - not the red Off button, the the menu or list button, not the letter/number keys. The screen goes dark per the usual time-out and comes back on when I press the Send/On button. The phone seems to work correctly, as do the three applications (Contacts, Tasks, Web) I can start using only the touchscreen. I can't switch applications without the keyboard, though. Hot Sync still works normally.

I read the Keyboard Lock section in the manual - it says that if it's enabled (Option/Off) it can be turned off with the Center buttton. Pushing Center doesn't re-enable my keyboard, though. I doubt that keyboard lock got enabled when it was dropped, anyway.

I tried a soft reset and a system reset and the keyboard still doesn't work. I haven't tried a hard reset, since a hard reset isn't usually a cure for being dropped on the floor.

Any suggestions, or should I just go to the Sprint store and ask them what to do? I got my 650 from Sprint.
    Last edited by dwphillips; 01/17/2005 at 02:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwphillips
    Somebody (not me) just dropped my 650 about 3' on to a hard floor. It landed face down. The person (OK, it was my wife) says that the battery door popped off when it landed. The Treo otherwise looks undamaged. The touch screen still works correctly. However, none of the keyboard buttons EXCEPT the green Send/On button work - not the red Off button, the the menu or list button, not the letter/number keys. The screen goes dark per the usual time-out and comes back on when I press the Send/On button. The phone seems to work correctly, as do the three applications (Contacts, Tasks, Web) I can start using only the touchscreen. I can't switch applications without the keyboard, though. Hot Sync still works normally.

I read the Keyboard Lock section in the manual - it says that if it's enabled (Option/Off) it can be turned off with the Center buttton. Pushing Center doesn't re-enable my keyboard, though. I doubt that keyboard lock got enabled when it was dropped, anyway.

I tried a soft reset and a system reset and the keyboard still doesn't work. I haven't tried a hard reset, since a hard reset isn't usually a cure for being dropped on the floor.

Any suggestions, or should I just go to the Sprint store and ask them what to do? I got my 650 from Sprint.

I dropped mine . . . I have the insurance but have not called sprint yet. Wondering what to do!
    The Treo650 is too fragile. It does not withstand hard falls. Even if you use the flexskin or similar body glove schemes all that will do is prevent scratching and possibly the battery cover and battery flying out of the unit, but it will not protect it from the jarring to the internal circuitry.

Oh, I miss military grade electronics. You can use them to hammer nails in the wall and still function as electronic gadgets
    go to sprint tell them the kb doesnt work.

dont give them any more info if they dont ask.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by robsatx
    I dropped mine . . . I have the insurance but have not called sprint yet. Wondering what to do!
    I remember dropping my Palm III/xe into the tub once. I took the
    honest route and paid $100 to palm for a new device. For both of
    you, I know the temptation is strong, but since you have insurance,
    it won't cost you much to "do the right thing". Good luck in however
    you solve the problem.

Edit: I just reread the post at the top of this thread and the poster did not say they have insurance. (The tempatation is getting even stronger and I'm starting to give in ... Actually, I think I might have even been wrong in my intial assesment.) More than likely, a ribbon connector to the keyboard has been jarred loose. So what can you do?

1) Try hitting the unit around a few to several times in your hand to see if you can get the connector to work. If you succeed, and the problem ever happens again, take it to Sprint under warranty.

2) It is also reasonably likely that when your wife inspected it after dropping it, that it did work (including keyboard, which she might not remember checking), but stopped working on the drive home. Who among us has not dropped our Treo? Things work loose! You probably can feel OK bringing it to the Sprint store. They'll order you a refurb under warranty and you can add "Grafitti" to your device in the meantime so that you can input text until your replacement arrives in about 5 days. (If you don't know how
    to do this, let me know and I'll research the links for you.)

3) If the device is out of warranty, you can buy a Torx screwdriver and
    open the treo and fix the cable. You'll have to research the correct things
    to do (and avoid), but that's a possible route.

-- good luck
    Last edited by sudoer; 01/17/2005 at 05:21 PM.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy
    ... you can add "Grafitti" to your device in the meantime so that you can input text until your replacement arrives...
    I have a Sprint Treo 600, The program I use is "Grafitti Anywhere":

http://www.escande.org/palm
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the replies. Nope, no insurance. I took my keyboard-dead dropped 650 to the Sprint store early this afternoon, before any replies got posted. I told the rep that the Treo had been dropped; I didn't feel like inventing a story about how the keyboard had just decided to stop working on its own. He had the back-room tech look at it. After a wait of an hour or so the rep gave me another Treo in exchange for the one that got dropped. He told me that it wasn't their usual policy to exchange for a dropped unit, but that he appreciated my honesty and took into account that I'd had the 650 only about two months; he also said that he hadn't told the tech that it had been dropped.

Notice that I said that he gave me "another" 650, not a "new" 650. It was in an opened box and had been returned or something, but I checked it for dead pixels and dings before I left the store and it's fine. Besides, the Treo that got dropped wasn't brand new, either, so I can't complain. I was able to hot-synch all my data before going to the Sprint store, so now my "new" Treo has a full restore of everything from my "old" Treo. Overall, not bad at all and much better than it could have been. Oh, and where do I get the Treo insurance? From Sprint?
    Last edited by dwphillips; 01/17/2005 at 09:42 PM.
    I dropped my 650 a few like 3 feet of the ground and broke the screen. I got a replace ment from lockline. If you dont have insurance and have a 650 I think is a real good time to get it.
    I have a lot to say but I dont want to get banned...AGAIN!!
    Quote Originally Posted by elbombillo2
    ... If you dont have insurance and have a 650 I think is a real good time to get it.
    Remember that Lockline will drop you once you get a 2nd replacement within a year. (So be real careful!)